JAMES P. NAPLES
10011 Lake Gardens Dr., Dallas, Texas 75218
• Managed, trained and edited the work of more than 20 junior writers.
• Edited hundreds of technical reports written by scientists and engineers that detailed construction and research at world’s largest high-energy physics laboratory.
• Edited Accelerator Physics at the Superconducting Super Collider, a 686-page book published by American Institute of Physics as the authoritative source on U.S. high-energy physics research.
• Served as lead writer and editor for annual series of hundreds of community magazines, which added value to GTE and Verizon phone directories, increasing advertising revenue.
• Authored annual reports, brochures, newsletters, news releases and other materials for a range of clients and speeches for government and business leaders.
• Developed style manuals at SullivanPerkins and SSC Laboratory.
• Published stories in newspapers and magazines in Texas, Ohio and Vermont, including pieces on scientific and medical topics.
• At SullivanPerkins, my group was named Supplier of the Year, Supplier of Excellence and Outstanding Vendor. Project team retained the firm’s largest client – with annual billings of more than $2 million – for nearly 15 years until Nov. 2009, when project was cancelled.
• At SSC Laboratory, became the editor of choice for numerous scientists and engineers, and my work was highly praised.
• At Texas National Research Laboratory Commission, developed the public information office for a multimillion-dollar state agency and was called by the executive director “an excellent writer and a significant contributor” to the state’s winning the SSC Laboratory. Worked with national and local news media and monitored media coverage; arranged press conferences, site visits, public hearings and speaking engagements.
• In Lockhart, Tex., my staff and I won collective and individual awards from state and regional press associations for news writing, editorials, commentary and overall quality. In Morrisville, Vt., I greatly improved the quality of content of both a weekly paid newspaper and a weekly free shopper and instituted features in the paid paper that boosted circulation.
• Freelance editing and writing for various clients including AvreaFoster, The Richards Group, and Eisenberg and Associates, 2009–present
• Senior Writer/Editor, SullivanPerkins, Inc., Dallas, Tex.; 1995–2009
• Editor, Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory, Waxahachie, Tex., 1990–1995
• Public Information Officer, Texas National Research Laboratory Commission, Austin, Tex.,
and Desoto, Tex., 1987–1990
• Director of public relations and marketing service in Central Texas, 1984–1987
• Editor of weekly newspapers in Central Texas and Vermont, 1980–1984
• Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio; B.A. in English.
• Austin Community College, Austin, Tex.; course in technical editing.
• Hospice Volunteer, VNA of Dallas