SUMMARY: Professionally trained communications executive with more than ten years of experience and success in public and media relations, journalism, audio/visual marketing, engaging presentations, media training and event planning. Skill set also includes: turnaround of underperforming PR and communications departments, attaining notable news placements while utilizing few resources, directorial and problem-solving experience, crisis management, and persuasive writing.
Owner of Orly Telisman Public Relations
OrlyPR.com -- You Have Something to Say; We Get You Noticed.
Orly Telisman Public Relations is a full-service boutique PR company based in Chicago. Our creative communication strategies put your messages in front of your busy audience.
In the end: We get you noticed.
With more than a decade of experience in journalism, public and media relations, crisis communications, and event planning, Orly Telisman Public Relations provides you the expertise and talent that catapults your organization to the next level both offline and online.
Put our team of dedicated professionals to work today. We guarantee measurable results that fit within your budget.
Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., Director of Media Relations
• In charge of restructuring global communications and media relations for the online education and reference company whose products are used by millions worldwide.
• Provide in-depth media training of in-house editorial experts and executives which has led to media placement in the Chicago Tribune, The Wall Street Journal, Creators News Service, Los Angeles Times, WGN Radio News, various local TV news programs and more.
• Created an in-house studio for Britannica experts and executives to be live at a moment’s notice.
• Leading the campaign to rewrite and reposition company messages touting its values and initiatives.
• Prepare PR campaigns for educational products, new consumer products, and Smartphone apps.
• Manage journalist database and tracking trending stories to find additional media placement.
• Meet regularly with marketing and sales departments to synthesize messages and campaigns.
• Produce multimedia videos that enhance encyclopedia reference articles and promote experts.
• Handle entire Communication Department’s budget.
The Field Museum, Manager of Media Relations
• Led media relations to publicize one of the world’s largest natural history museums including exhibitions space, four research labs, and more than 25 million artifacts and specimens.
• Created new and inventive Public Relations campaigns for national and local television, newspapers, and social media platforms, creating more exposure and notoriety for the institution and resulting in added revenue for the non-profit institution.
• Obtained media coverage of previously unpublicized aspects of the museum including its educational initiatives, retail stores, and older exhibition space.
• Consistently secured media placement at a time when the journalism industry was rapidly changing.
• Spokesperson for the museum during regular business hours and while on-call.
• Maintained an extensive contact list of local, national and international media, which is still current.
• Wrote numerous press releases, press kits, and articles for museum’s member magazine.
• Reported PR accomplishments to stakeholders which included detailed spreadsheets of coverage.
• Oversaw media visits, provided them with pertinent information, extensive tours, and ideal interviews.
WPTV NBC 5, Live Field Reporter/Fill-In Anchor, West Palm Beach, FL
• Prepared and performed live on-air reports. Preparation consisted of internet and news archive research, numerous cold calls, spur-of-the-moment script writing and editing, and fact checking.
• Performed live interviews daily for an audience of more than one million viewers.
• Wrote anchor scripts, live reports, and pre-packaged news stories under extremely short deadlines.
• Broke several Nielsen Ratings records as co-anchor for morning, noon, and weekend newscasts.
• Successfully managed and coordinated all aspects of my assignments with a rotating staff of producers, photographers, assignment editors and video editors.
• Wrote feature stories on local personalities, political issues, education, business and health care.
• Made public appearances on behalf of employer at philanthropic events and social galas.
WSJV FOX 28 News, Live Field Reporter/Fill-In Anchor, South Bend, IN
• Arranged news reports from start to finish. Responsibilities included scheduling interviews, identifying news truck transmission locations, conducting live interviews, and script writing and editing.
• Personally wrote all news assignments, promotions, and anchor scripts under strict time limitations.
• Co-anchored, edited, and assisted in the writing of the two-hour weekday morning newscast.
• Created several informative reports daily for an audience of more than half a million viewers.
WYIN Channel 56, News Anchor/Reporter/Videographer, Merrillville, IN
• Anchored nightly half-hour newscast; Wrote, videotaped and edited news stories daily.
• Managed editors, photographers, writers and floor crew before and during live broadcasts.
Purdue University, School of Liberal Arts. West Lafayette, IN
• Bachelor of Arts in Communications – May 1996. Minors in English and Psychology.
• Credited Internships: Vh1 News, New York, New York and WKQX FM “Q101”, Chicago, Illinois.
ACTIVITIES, AWARDS AND HIGHLIGHTS:
Silver Trumpet Award Winner: Publicity Club of Chicago, Chicago, IL. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. Recipient of several collaborative awards for media relations, press kit development, and promotions.
Member and Featured Panelist: Publicity Club of Chicago, Chicago, IL. 2008 and 2009. Featured presenter, annual Media Relations Education Series; Judge for annual city-wide PR competition.
Volunteer: Saving Tiny Hearts Foundation, Deerfield, IL. 2007 - Ongoing. Assisting in the raising of funds and awareness for under-funded, life-saving research of congenital heart defects.
Grant Application Reviewer: Chicago Foundation for Education. 2007-Ongoing. Assisted in evaluating grants submitted by Pre-K – 8th grade teachers seeking funding for special projects.
Executive Board Member: Chase Park Advisory Council, Chicago, IL. 2007-2009. Supervised marketing, publicity and promotions for the rebuilding of an historic city park. Personally generated thousands of dollars worth of donations, as well as co-chaired and planned several fundraising events.
Emcee: Share our Strength and The Daily Bread Food Bank Fundraiser. Palm Beach, Florida. 2005. Hosted gala dinner and emceed auction raising more than $50,000 at world-renowned Café Boulud.
Media Award: Mothers Against Drunk Driving of Florida (M.A.D.D.). 2004. Recognized for highlighting the pervasive problem of drunk driving in Palm Beach County. In 2004, Palm Beach County had the highest number of drunk drivers per capita of any county in the state of Florida.
Distinguished Service Award: Safety Council of Palm Beach County. 2003. First to report the issue of SUV “back over” deaths. My report prompted all local TV stations to air public service announcements.
Featured Reporter on National News: FOX NEWS. 2002. Reported on the disappearance of a mother accused of beating her four year-old daughter in a Kohl’s parking lot. NBC National News. 2002. Reported the rising price of cacao, the main ingredient in chocolate, and how it affected the price of candy during the holiday season.
Indiana Associated Press Awards. 2002. First Place: A multi-part investigative report regarding a teacher hitting an elementary school student. 2001. Honorable Mention, Best Single Live Breaking Story: Reporting live from a multi-car pileup on Toll Road I-80. The incident caused the byway to shut down for several hours during morning rush hour.
“Local Bigamist Story:” featured on national talk show Sally Jesse Raphael. 2000. Police Sergeant Charlie Farrell was suspected and found guilty of bigamy by the St. Joseph County Courts.
Host, “Northwest Indiana Open House Show” 1999-2000. Interviewed architects and burgeoning designers from around the country, reaching a potential audience of more than 500,000 weekly.
# # #