Writer/Reporter responsibilities with a newspaper, magazine, or media website.
• Proficient in writing feature articles, editorial pieces, short stories, and essays.
• Strong technical command of the English language; serious commitment to excellence in the printed and published word.
• Experience in many different work environments
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient with MS Word, MS PowerPoint, WordPress, QuickBooks
• Professional Blog: http://ahamm82.blogspot.com
• Personal Blog: http://indigofish.blogspot.com
• Twitter: @Amanda_Hamm – https://twitter.com/Amanda_Hamm
• Google+: http://gplus.to/AHamm
• LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/amandahamm82
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA August 2007 – October 2011
Concentration in Folklore; Minor in Native American and Indigenous Studies
Northern Virginia Community College, Alexandria, VA January 2004 – August 2007
Member of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society 2006-2007
Dean’s List 2005
Freelance Writer December 2011 – Present
Patch.com, Vienna, VA
• Independent Writer for the Vienna Patch.
Medical Receptionist October 2011 – Present
Center for Foot and Ankle Care, Fairfax, VA
• Responsible for checking patients into office and collecting payment after visit; managing daily office schedule; maintaining and preparing patient charts; verifying receipt of referrals from primary care; taking x-rays; creating letters to send to referring physicians.
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA August 2011 – October 2011
• Beat Reporter for Connect2Mason; responsible for covering Student Government news at George Mason University.
Freelance Writer April 2011 – August 2011
Patch.com, Reston, VA
• Independent Writer for the Reston Patch.
Writer/Reporter February 2011 – June 2011
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
• Feature Writer for Connect2Mason; covered events as needed.
Dental Receptionist January 2009 – October 2011
Lauren Adams, DDS, Oakton, VA
• Responsible for checking patients into office and collecting payment after visit; managing daily office schedule of 15 patients; maintaining and preparing patient charts; verifying insurance prior to patient appointments; coordinating between health insurance companies and patients to ensure smooth on time bill payment; assisting dentist with fillings and various procedures when dental assistant is not present
Medical Receptionist (Contract) November 2008-January 2009
Quadrant Staffing, Inc.
Vienna Primary and Preventive Medicine, Vienna, VA
• Managed daily office schedule of 15 patients; filed all correspondence into and out of the practice; maintained patient charts; responsible for chart preparation; verified insurance prior to patient appointments; prepared specimens for laboratory transport; performed analysis of patient cultures; assisted physician during echocardiogram procedures
Medical Receptionist (Contract) July 2008-September 2008
Quadrant Staffing, Inc.
Virginia Hospital Center, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Arlington, VA
• Maintained patient charts; responsible for chart preparation; verified insurance prior to patient appointments; worked with referring obstetricians to ensure timely receipt of written orders
Assistant Manager/Medical Receptionist October 2004-May 2008
Fairfax Optometric Center ? Fairfax, VA
Responsible for day-to-day management of the practice.
• Managed all human resources aspects including: training of new employees, scheduling and managing payroll for a staff of 5 and maintaining all training materials
• Managed daily office schedule of 20 patients
• Filed all correspondence into and out of the practice
• Maintained the office filing system; ensured files were kept up to date
• Created and streamlined all office forms to increase efficiencies
• Coordinated between health insurance companies and patients to ensure smooth on time bill payment
• Pre-tested patients using tonometry, auto-refractor, and visual fields instruments; taught insertion and removal of contact lenses; dispensed and repaired glasses materials