An innovative thinker with an eye for the big picture. A mission-oriented team player. Emboldens all team members to run hard toward the vision at hand. A champion for excellence. Supreme editing, copyediting and proofreading skills.
July 2008 – June 2011 Trinity Christian School Parent Teacher Ministry, Shorewood, Ill.
Vice President, then Secretary (volunteer)
- Enthusiastically joined short-handed team upon request
- Solely responsible for bi-weekly newsletter publication for entire parent body; initially via print, then migrated to e-mail publication
- Kept meticulous records of all meetings; tracked planning, progress and new ideas
- Played integral role orchestrating dozens of events and programs: luncheons, fundraisers, family fun
- Monthly, filled prominent bulletin board with colorful and engaging updates on upcoming events and progress on projects
July 2002 – Oct. 2008 Living Water Community Church, Bolingbrook, Ill.
Public Relations Director (volunteer)
- Broadened public relations from an advertising-only approach to include a wide range of media outlets: print, radio, internet
- Single-handedly increased local paper coverage from zero to dozens of column inches a month
- Multiplied new advertising from once every several months to at least one new ad a month, as well as additional special-events ads
- Recruited two more volunteers and began training process
- Created continuity binders outlining processes in detail
- Formulated long-range vision to expand department over time
Creative Team Member (volunteer)
- Integral originator and developer of creative ideas for weekly services
- Pursued effective ideas to impact people through artistic endeavors
- Adeptly authored stirring Christmas script, joining variety of elements
June 1997 – July 2000 U.S. Air Force, 5th Bomb Wing Public Affairs, Minot, N.D.
Deputy Chief of Public Affairs
- Successfully took charge of severely undermanned office only months out of PA training; improved base paper, PA processes
- Expertly handled storm of national and international media queries during and following several high-visibility legal cases
- Poised, confident speaker skillfully narrated two high-pressure wing change-of-command ceremonies
- Increased airmen morale and readiness in Diego Garcia deployment supporting OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH; kept deployed forces informed of local, major command and Air Force news via local newsletter; sole media contact for the deployed group
- Masterfully copyedited 28-page weekly base paper ensuring crisp, professional presentation of vital information to 12,000+ audience
- Enhanced public trust and support, masterfully overseeing
commander’s community relations program; facilitated hundreds of base tours, speakers requests and regional school visits
- Deftly handled all PA aspects of annual air show resulting in an increase of 15,000 visitors from previous year’s show
June 1996 – June 1997 U.S. Air Force, 17th Training Wing Public Affairs, San Angelo, Texas
- Revamped aging emergency response kits, improving continuity and effectiveness while simultaneously learning crisis response
- Flawless execution and detail working building dedication event, resulted in positive community impact; garnered praise, “first-class”
- Led student-of-the-month program recognizing 50+ students/year by local civic group; built up students, base and community relations
- Put Goodfellow Air Force Base out front, coordinating hundreds of correspond-dance letters seeking information from around the world
- Advising executives
- Media relations
- Community relations
- Speech writing
- Script writing
- Editing, copyediting, proofreading
- Crisis situations
- Resume creation and sculpting
Aug. 1994 – May 1996 NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DeKalb, Ill.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Aug. 1991 – May 1994 LOYOLA UNIVERSITY CHICAGO, Chicago, Ill.
Aug. 1991 – May 1996 ILLINOIS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Chicago, Ill.
Military Science Student (Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps)
March 1997 – June 19997 DEFENSE INFORMATION SCHOOL, Ft. Meade, Md.
Public Affairs Officer Course
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- U.S. Air Force Public Affairs Worldwide Conference
- Company Grade Officer Program
- Child development