PROFESSIONAL PROFILE I am a graphic designer and creative professional with almost 20 years of
experience in graphic design and publishing. I am accomplished in all aspects
of print design. I pride myself on being a results-oriented problem solver with
flexibility, enthusiasm and the ability to consistently meet deadlines. I am
able to work alone, in a team or lead a group. I work following a few simple
principles of design; 1. Form follows function. I believe a design problem will
ultimately solve itself. 2. Keep it simple. Over-designing will confuse and
distract from a message. 3. Visual-verbal closure. The visual combined with
the text gives you the full message.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE My strengths over the years have been in project management and
streamlining work flow. I thrive on problem solving, figuring out better
solutions and teaching those solutions to others.
• Produced prototypes for client approval and final artwork to meet
• Catalogued graphic design and artwork from previous issues,
designed and implemented an indexed image library to improve
accessibility to existing assets.
• Streamlined communication with consulting artists to ensure
understanding of design specifications and timely delivery of artwork.
• Performed all administrative tasks to ensure smooth and efficient
operations, prepared and distributed materials, attended and
participated in major production meetings.
• Collaborated with Assignment Editor to coordinate and develop news
stories and special segments.
• Developed professional team to deliver quality results, on time and
• Significantly grew business by developing reputation for quality.
• Developed style guide to ensure articles conformed to criteria.
• Automated and improved production process to reduce delays and
• Designed templates for standard documents, reducing the time to
produce a new final document by half.
• Managed aesthetic aspects of publications to ensure quality and
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY 2008-Present
Member / Co-Owner
Colston Communications, LLC, Harrisburg, PA.
My responsibilities in this position include all design and fulfillment of
marketing projects, project management, assistance on all events, including
budget analysis and sponsorship acquisition. The primary focus is assisting
non-profit organizations and small businesses achieve their goals.
• Translated ideas into written and visual forms
• Wrote proposals in response to customer requirements
• Experienced working with desktop-publishing applications
• Coordinated the assembly, printing, and distribution of all documents
• Met with company representatives to determine marketing goals and
• Planned, coordinated, and directed advertising campaigns for clients
• Analyzed fund raising needs and developed coordinated marketing
and public relations strategy
• Arranged client participation in and sponsorship of community events
• Fostered and maintained relationships and affiliations with key clients
• Attended events to promote products and services
• Conferred with clients to determine advertising requirements and
The Patriot-News, Mechanicsburg, PA.
I was hired by The Patriot-News when they decided to build an Advertising
Services department in-house, which had previously been outsourced to a
Cleveland company. In this position, my work consists of design of
advertisements for numerous clients as well as self-promotion and sales
support for The Patriot-News. I also work closely aiding the Business
VP / Creative Director
Harrisburg Magazine, Inc. / Benchmark Group Media, Harrisburg, PA.
In this company, I started as the sole graphic designer for a single publication. I soon became Art Director and eventually part owner and Creative Director. As VP I helped in the planning of the growth of the company into a custom publishing and design business. My responsibilities included budgeting, scheduling and communicating with print, photography and development vendors.
• Assigned and directed staff members to develop design concepts into art layouts and prepare for printing
• Formulated basic layout design and presentation approach, and conceived material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, and arrangement
• Reviewed and approved art and copy materials developed by staff, and proofs of printed copy
• Reviewed illustrative material and conferred with client concerning objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques
• Marked up and completed layouts to prepare for printing
• Presented final layouts to client for approval
• Interviewed and evaluated personnel
• Modified time lines and work schedules according to company needs
• Interviewed and evaluated job applicants
• Identified new methods for cutting operating costs while increasing services
• Hired, trained, and supervised a staff of four
• Coordinated well with contractors and subcontractors. Able to resolve problems and maintain friendly and effective relations
• Consistently implemented new techniques and procedures that
increase productivity and lower costs
• Resolved problems and revised existing systems
bradkrow graphicdesign, Harrisburg, PA.
Freelance graphic design
• Designed and produced a variety of ads, brochures, stationery, and other creative projects
Nailhead Graphics, Mechanicsburg, PA
• Designed logos, presentation folders, brochures, and advertisements
Mattress World USA, Falls Church, VA.
In this position my responsibilities were to create all advertisements, in-store
displays, signage and marketing materials for the four companies owned by Mattress World USA. I was also responsible for all media buying, photography and copy writing.
B.A., Graphic Design, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
AFFILIATIONS Member, Harrisburg Young Professionals
Member, American Institute of Graphic Arts
Past Member, Tech Council of Central PA
HONORS 2011 Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Awards –
1st Place - Real Estate / Builders / Renters Advertisement
1st Place - Ad Campaign Multiple Newspaper Products
2007 Man of the Year, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Central PA – Raised over $15,000
Real Show Exhibit, Art Directors’ Club of Washington DC
VOLUNTEER Past Board Member, Harrisburg Parks Partnership, Harrisburg, PA
Man & Woman of the Year Committee, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Central PA, Harrisburg, PA
Event Committee, JumpStreet’s Derby Day 2009, Harrisburg, PA
Committee Chairman / Pack Trainer, Cub Scout Pack 68, Linglestown, PA
Troop Trainer, Boy Scout Troop 68, Linglestown, PA
Volunteer, Nativity School, Harrisburg, PA