Greg B. Lancaster
Crossroads Custom Writing
Proposal, Technical, Grant Writing (2010 to Current)
For companies who need contract custom writing; or for nonprofit and for-profit entities looking for grant writing, research, evaluation, Crossroads Writing and Editing Service is an economic method to augment your staff. I offer 32 years of professional writing and editing experience. I will come to your place of business to manage sensitive steps in document creation. My research and interview skills are strong, and I can "pull" the necessary information to create a variety of document forms (e.g., manuals, proposals, grants, marketing material, public relation releases, master degree theses, or doctoral dissertations).
Editing is a strength. I understand how to make edits without losing the author's intent or style. I know paragraph rhythm, tone, and a sense of completeness. I can also stand back and provide critical analysis to determine if a document succeeds; this is of particular importance in commercial proposals, grants, academic pieces, or in writing where very few words must convey an impactful message.
Proposal Writer (2002 to 2010)
• Responsible for all aspects of proposals that varied in size from 25 pages to 500 pages and varied in prospective revenue from $100,000 to $1 billion. For each project, assembled proposal team consisting of personnel from sales, product management, subject matter experts, pricing analysts, legal, systems implementation, proposal writers, and third-party vendors. Organized kickoff call, which determined final solution set; made assignments and set deadlines. Wrote between 75 and 80 percent of the compliance answers. Wrote or assisted sales in writing executive summary and solution summary, which included creating graphic depictions of the proposed solution. Incorporated company’s legal response and exceptions to customer’s terms and conditions. Assembled pertinent collateral material. Served as point of focus for versions of sections provided by project team and identified and escalated gaps in response sections. Set up draft review call and finalized response. Provided final review, editing, and proofing. Oversaw final production.
• Led numerous commercial proposals for municipalities, which gave me full exposure into the exactness and compliance that grant writing requires.
• Built proposal textbase, which consisted of current proposals, standard boilerplate, product overviews, technical documentation, and web content.
• Wrote and maintained resumes of key executives, product marketing, sales, subject matter experts, implementation, and support personnel.
Spokane, Washington (2001 to 2002)
Proposal Writer / Director of Communications
• Instituted proposal process, which established look and feel, procedures, standards, styles, document formats, draft processes, and final production.
• Established consistent branding for all customer-facing documents.
• Led and wrote all custom proposals.
• Served as final editor for grammar, consistency with corporate mission, message consistency, and legal compliance for all documents produced by the company.
• Wrote and maintained resumes for West executive personnel.
Proposal Writer (2000 to 2001)
• Led custom proposals, which involved evaluating RFPs for appropriate product match, organizing response, helping define solution, setting deadlines, writing up to 80 percent of technical responses, incorporating legal response, providing document management for review comments, producing draft and arranging review, rewriting proposal to create consistent voice, editing and proofing final proposal.
• Unified company brand across all document types that would be seen by the media and customers; assisted in establishing corporate presence in the marketplace using article placements in industry publications; writing abstracts, papers, and PowerPoint presentations for trade shows; creating marketing material such as white papers, trade magazine articles, web content, media releases, and product overviews.
• Wrote and maintained resumes of key executive, product marketing, sales, subject matter experts, and implementation and support personnel.
Proposal Writer and Manager (1988 to 2000)
• Managed 8-person staff with primary responsibilities for initial vetting of all incoming RFPs; determined product fit; made preliminary call with sales to define scope, our penetration into the account, competitors, and probability of winning; made proposal assignments and ensured the lead on the project had adequate support; monitored progress of all proposals in process and resolved roadblocks; and provided final quality review of all proposals before shipment to customer.
• Led the most complex proposals, writing the majority of the compliance responses and executive summary.
• Reviewed all proposals before submission to customers.
American Coin and Vault
Technical Writer and Bookkeeper (1986 to 1988)
• Developed documentation for a precious metals sales and inventory tracking system that was marketed and sold in Washington and nationally.
• Had primary responsibilities as bookkeeper for this company, of the largest bullion dealers in the country.
• Served as last-stop editor for all customer-facing documents that were disseminated over the Internet, through more traditional media, and to private clientele.
2002 to 2010 Itron, Inc. Proposal Writer. Led and supported large high-tech
2001 to 2002 West Corporation. Proposal Writer and Director of Communications.
2000 to 2001 LineSoft, Inc. Proposal Writer. Wrote proposals, marketing material, and
other product-related documents.
1988 to 2000 Getronics Corporation. Proposal Writer and Manager. Managed 8-person group and led the most complex proposals.
1986 / 1988 American Coin and Vault.
1981 to 1986 Gonzaga University. Head of Journalism Department. Managed 4-person staff; taught journalism courses; established internships; provided career counseling and placement.
1974 to 1980 Held various writing and editorial positions for daily newspapers in New Mexico and Oregon (New Mexico: Portales News-Tribune and Clovis News-Journal; Oregon: Ashland Daily Tidings).
1979 to 1981 University of Oregon (Eugene, OR). Master of Arts in Journalism.
1970 to 1974 Eastern New Mexico University (Portales, NM). Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and History.
Current Volunteer for Lilac Services for the Blind.
Current Volunteer reviewer for all United Way grants.