EDITOR & WRITER
A communicator with a strong commitment to excellence and extensive experience working with celebrity-level clients. Ability to work independently and in collaborative and team environments. Experienced in Marketing and Strategic Communications. While updating journalism and communications skills through study in Rome 2010, received Vatican accreditation/press credentials. As editor of Florida Catholic, Orlando managed 14 correspondents. As acting manager for U.S. Postal Service Stamp Information Branch (Philatelic Division) in Washington, D.C., managed staff of 13. Former reporter and copy editor, The Evansville Press, Ind. Knowledgeable of AP style. Knowledgeable of and competent in Microsoft Office.
• As editor for the Florida Catholic, Orlando, assigned stories and photography. Researched and wrote stories — rewrote other submissions as necessary. Proofed and edited final pages online and hard copy. Monitored schedules. Managed within budgetary constraints. Managed freelance staff of 14.
• Wrote and edited newsletters, brochures and collateral material for internal and external audiences for the Department of Marketing and Communications of the U.S. Postal Service (headquarters).
• Wrote and assisted in production of regional employee newsletter while on assignment to U.S. Postal Service Southern Region office in Memphis. Served as liaison to communication managers in Southern Region.
• Former proofreader for U.S. News & World Report and Congressional Quarterly magazines.
• Created content for small-business website to better market its training programs.
• Worked with art director on layout and graphics for special internal publication on automation for USPS. Received an award for the publication.
• Wrote variety of speeches and byline articles for senior leaders of USPS, including the Postmaster General/CEO, the Vice President of Diversity and a member of the Board of Governors.
• Developed and wrote training materials for workshops and seminars as manager of diversity development in Louisiana for USPS.
• Briefed and counseled senior executives on media interviews and events. Events included “Good Morning America” with the Postmaster General and “CBS This Morning” with the Consumer Advocate, “Radio Free Europe” with the Assistant Postmaster General of International Postal Affairs and marketing executives for the Asian Wall Street Journal.
Florida Catholic, Orlando (newspaper), Diocesan Editor Dec. 2005 — July 2011
Goodman Communications, Orlando/Phoenix/New Orleans Sept. 1998 — present
Writer, Editor, Consultant
The Catholic Sun, Phoenix, Staff Writer July 2001 — Dec. 2002
Valley of the Sun YMCA, Metropolitan Office, Phoenix, March 2000 — March 2001
Minority Achievers Program Manager
United States Postal Service Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
Diversity Development Department, Headquarters Dec. 1993 — Sept. 1998
Diversity Development Specialist, Domiciled in New Orleans
Communications and Marketing Department/Headquarters, 1989 — 1993
Media Relations Representative (Strategic Communications)
Communications and Marketing Department/Headquarters 1987 — 1989
Media Relations Representative (Market Communications)
Bachelor of Arts
The George Washington University
Sociology major/Journalism minor
University of California, Berkeley, Journalism Certificate
Pontificia Universitá della Santa Croce, Rome, Journalism Certificates (2008 and 2010)
Who's Who of American Women
Special Achievement Award, USPS Communications
Catholic Press Association, General Writing, Florida Catholic
Light of Faith Award for Public Relations (2011)
International Association of Business Communicators
Society of Professional Journalists
Catholic Press Association
Workgroup for the Diversity and Permanency of Foster Care Children,
Office of the Attorney General, Janet Napolitano, Arizona
Women in the Arts, founding board member, Orlando
Orlando Diversity Council, Communications Chair