ROSEMARY WILLIAMS (BA HONS ENGLISH): PROOFREADER/COPY-EDITOR
I am a highly dedicated and professional individual with over 12 years’ copy-editing/proofreading experience, both in a freelance capacity and in full-time employment. I am also very client focused and used to working to tight deadlines. As would be expected, I have very high concentration skills and an eye for detail. I am passionate about making documents right. I believe I can add value to your documents and in doing so help you retain valued clients and achieve the competitive edge in your market.
London College of Communication: Copy-editing
University of Manchester: BA Hons English
A levels English and History
10 O levels, including Spanish and French
Microsoft Office/PowerPoint/Excel; touch typing (50 wpm)
Immediacy Web Content Management System
Clean driving licence/car owner; have home office or can travel to an in-house office
My experience includes proofreading/copy-editing:
- a variety of legal documents (eg legal due diligence reports, leases, shareholders’ agreements etc) for a top international law firm, including in the Banking and Finance, Corporate, Real Estate and Employment and Litigation groups;
- various facilities agreements and banking and finance documentation, aviation finance and leasing contracts and documentation for shipping finance transactions;
- marketing material, eg reports, business plans, CVs, pitches, brochures, articles, newsletters;
- PowerPoint slides for seminars;
- Excel sheets;
- web content, including online editing using the web content management system;
- documents produced by non-native English speakers from offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, the CIS, Asia-Pacific and Africa, which often require substantial editing;
- as the sole overnight proofreader for lawyers in both London and international offices, from 1999 to 2009; and
- as a freelance proofreader, various publications for a medical regulator.
In the course of my work, I am used to checking facts, contents, cross references, defined terms, footnotes, captions, references to names of people, companies, etc and consistency, grammar, spelling and sense. Documents are in various formats, including email, Word, web content, PowerPoint, pdf, Excel spreadsheet, etc. I am very familiar with legal, financial and medical terminology.
In relation to the above, my responsibilities include:
- applying the relevant house styles;
- helping to enforce the firm’s plain English policy;
- liaising with lawyers at all levels and other authors over deadlines and queries;
- liaising with the desktop publishing team;
- ensuring deadlines are met;
- supervising temporary proofreaders/copy-editors when required; and
- keeping up to date with the firm’s policies and procedures and attending meetings.
I continue to receive excellent feedback from users and also excellent performance reviews, copies of which can be provided.