Master of Education (MEd) in Adult Education
Bachelor of Science (BSc), majoring in both Computer Science and Mathematics
Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Civil / Structural Engineering with Second Class Honours
International Certificate in English as a Second Language (ESL) – 120 Hour Course
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
> Fourteen (14) months as an ESL teacher at the Heilongjiang Institute of Science and Technology (HIST) in Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China; and the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers (EMCN) in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
> Four (4) years designing, developing and delivering a set of technical training courses for a market-leading contract management lifecycle software package to local, international, and multi-national clients.
> Almost ten (10) years instructing experience at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in the Computer Systems Technology (CST) program.
> Very strong project planning and management skills, excellent team leadership and staff supervision skills, exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
> Very broad, extensive experience covering:
* Client support, LAN administration, equipment acquisitions, product evaluations, and installation / integration.
* IT Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery planning, IT Technical Architecture planning and development.
* Management of systems development and maintenance for both administrative and technical systems - including planning, analysis, design, construction, testing, documentation, implementation and client training.
* Security and control, including systems library / migration control.
* Professional association management for a wide variety of professional and industry groups.
> Fifteen (15) years of progressive advancement, from base grade Engineer in the Australian federal government to Senior Systems Analyst (SA IV) in the Alberta provincial government.
> Several years experience operating own contracting / consulting business.
June 2007 to Present: Upside Software Inc.
> Technical Trainer
* Course material design, development and delivery for highly technical training courses.
* Train in-house staff, local, international and multi-national clients on the extensive technical extensions available in the software application.
* Design, develop and maintain all of the documentation associated with the technical training courses.
January 1998 to May 2007: Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
> Instructor in Computer Systems Technology (CST) program (plus CST-CED and BUS-CED)
* Course material preparation and delivery in Helpdesk and Client Training, Business Communications, Database Management (SQL), Systems Analysis and Design, Data Structures and Algorithms, Logic and Problem Solving, Microsoft Business Solutions Integration, Project Design and Development, Quality Assurance, and Accounting Information Systems.
* Course co-ordination including preparation of laboratory and examination materials, and liaison with other instructors (both daytime and evening).
* Course content review and maintenance.
* New course planning and development: Systems Analysis and Design (Unified Process and UML); Microsoft Business Solutions Integration; Project Management; Quality Assurance, Helpdesk and Client Training.
* Student consultation, counselling, evaluation and feedback.
January 2005 to April 2005: Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers (EMCN)
> ESL teacher to fifteen immigrant Engineers from eleven countries. Taught reading, listening and speaking as well as Canadian culture.
September 2003 to June 2004: Heilongjiang Institute of Science and Technology (HIST)
> ESL Teacher at Heilongjiang Institute of Science and Technology (HIST) in Harbin, Heilongjiang, China. Taught three ninety-minute classes per day to first year university students.
1999 to 2002 - Foster Parent and host to International Students
> Provided specialized family support to children in need and visiting international students, ranging in age from 7 to 18 years.
January 1993 – December 1997: Holtby Professional Services Inc.
> Private contracting in all areas of association management to professional associations and industry groups.
* Meeting management - including preparation of agenda and minutes.
* Event management - including venue, meals, accommodation, registrations, money collection.
* Publication management - including solicitation of articles, lay-up of publication, printer co-ordination and distribution of finished product, web page design and maintenance.
* Administrative management - including bookkeeping, membership database and file maintenance, full office and clerical services.
* All aspects of computer support associated with database development for memberships and conferences.
> Development of applications for commercial sale.
October 1989 - June 1996: Alberta Provincial Government
> Senior Systems Analyst IV: Alberta Community Development
* Responsible for management of all IT aspects of the “Alberta Senior’s Benefit Program”.
* Managed staff responsible for development, maintenance and support of all other Departmental IT systems, including mainframe support and Helpdesk.
> Senior Systems Analyst IV: Alberta Transportation and Utilities
* Responsible for support provisions for all office automation activities in the Department (approximately 1500 microcomputers, 800 peripherals, comprising 30 local / wide area networks).
* Supervised eleven (11) technical and administrative staff.
* Project Manager / Team Leader on Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Planning Project. Greatly advanced the awareness, acceptance and participation in the project.
* Project Manager / Team Leader on Technical Architecture Update Project. Completed initial and revised Technical Architectures for the Department as well as obtaining funding for the first year.
> Systems Analyst III: Alberta Public Works, Supply and Services
* Cross Government Systems support for various systems, including operational support and client user group activities.
* Managed and co-ordinated all LAN / EDP related functions for the Systems Management and Co-ordination Branch, including equipment purchases, inventory, installation and support; LAN administration; mainframe IDs and security.
* Provided technical input on several pilot projects evaluating products that later became cross government offerings.
February 1982 - September 1989: Various Australian Federal Government Departments
> Worked as both a civil and structural engineer on civil buildings such as telephone exchanges, military installations, and airports.
> Progressed from base grade Engineer to Systems Analyst III.
> Extensive and broad experience in all aspects of both mainframe and microcomputer systems development and maintenance, and end user support.
> YMCA Children’s University Reading and Math Program, Aide
> Telus World of Science Summer Computer Camps, Assistant Program Leader
> References are available upon request.
Bruce Holtby November 22, 2011 Page: 1