Alfred R. Smith
1 Pinehill Drive ~ Pittsford, NY 14534 ~ Phone/Fax 585-249-0188 ~ email@example.com
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Effective Listening/ELA Preparation/Curriculum Development
Use of Manipulative/Technology Integration/Learning Centers
Literature Circle/Interactive Games/Phonics
Team Teaching/Writer’s Workshop
• 6 years of teaching experience in Business English, English As a Second Language (ESOL), and English Literature.
• Creative professional skilled in engaging a diverse student population.
• Experienced in developing innovative approaches to English composition for African American and Hispanic populations in particular.
• Worked collaboratively across academic disciplines (History, the Fine Arts) to expand the learning environment.
• Gifted communicator with presentation and interpersonal skills tested in the workplace.
• 25 year certificate of Excellence in teaching English from the Rochester City School District.
• Created programs integrating the language and performance arts for students at risk, with focus on African-American and Hispanic student populations.
• Successfully produced and published a community Newsletter in collaboration with 20 suspended 9th graders.
• Expanded literary texts to include an in depth exploration of African and African-American literature in freshman composition classes.
Teacher 09/1994 – 06/2006
Rochester City School District Rochester, NY
• Developed innovative Language Arts programs to engage students at risk (especially African-Americans, Hispanics and the economically at risk).
• Designed curriculum to help recently arrived non-native speakers learn Standard English through their cultural frame of reference.
• Created a writing and reading comprehension for 9th graders placed outside the mainstream educational environment
• Combined the disciplines of Physical Education, the performance values of Dance and the African-American oral/literary tradition to develop a curriculum for students at risk in Rochester, NY.
• Collaborated with expelled students from a Rochester High School to successfully create a newsletter derived from the surrounding community.
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE
• Teacher, NY State University at Brockport, Brockport, NY
• Adjunct Faculty, Monroe Community College, Henrietta NY
• Adjunct Faculty, Urban League of Rochester, Rochester, NY
• Adjunct Faculty, Rochester Institute of Technology, Henrietta, NY
• Adjunct Faculty, St. John Fisher College, Pittsford, NY
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
01/1970 – 06/1992 Professional Dancer/Lecturer – Garth Fagan Dance Rochester, NY
Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction 07/2009
American InterContinental University Hoffman Estates, IL
• Educational Research Methods
• Curriculum Design & Evaluation
• Designing Effective Courses
• Decision Making in Curriculum & Instruction
Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
New York State University at Brockport