Ricky C. Allen Jr.
• Averett University: Bachelors in Business Administration, 2008- *Will graduate June 2012
• London School of Journalism Diplomas (2) - Journalism and News writing, Sub Editing and Design, 2001-2003
• U.S. Navy Training (Journalism, Photography, Public Affairs) 1997 – 2010
Gannett Media Technologies International August 2011 – November 2011
Knowledge Management Specialist
• Wrote technical articles for Knowledge Centered Support.
• Created Marketing materials for the promotion of GMTI’s Knowledge Centered Support. Marketing Initiatives included:
o More exposure for GMTI’s Knowledge Centered Support to employees and markets serviced
o Greater metrics for analyzing effectiveness of Knowledge Management articles being created
o More information to provide to senior staff at monthly meetings to bring awareness of the progress of KCS and its ongoing initiatives.
Allied Technology Group, Inc. March 2009 – June 2011
Technical Writer/Marketing Specialist
• Wrote technical user manual for imagery/video uploads to USCG Visual Imagery, Defense Imagery and Video Distribution (DVIDS).
• Developed public affairs study guide that included Information about USCG districts; CG aircraft and ship information; and the layout of public affairs guidelines for imagery approval.
• Utilized PIER tools to manage command website, upload photos, videos, and press releases.
• Provided Knowledge Management support.
• Assisted in writing documentation for the watchstation.
• Dispatched various news alerts on information regarding the U.S. Coast Guard that requires viewing by supervisors and senior staff as soon as it’s released by media.
• Contributed to the U.S. Coast Guard and Blog Summary Report, comprised of news clips gathered from the internet and distributed throughout the U.S. Coast Guard community. Circulation= 4,000.
• Helped establish and maintain the Public Affairs Watch for U.S. Coast Guard’s Atlantic Area Command Center until contract’s expiration.
• Provided input for Admiral’s daily morning brief via the Public Affairs Slide.
• Coordinated with the different watch stations in the Atlantic Area Command Center (Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, Maritime Pollution Prevention, etc…) to ensure a cohesive workplace in regards to information sharing and dissemination.
• Utilized social media tools and HTML for embedding video and imagery for senior staff viewing.
Previous Work Experience
Scotland County Parks September 2007 – March 2008
• Provided Website development and management.
• Utilized HTML coding that also included generating forms, web effects imagery placement.
• Consulted with the Board of Supervisors.
• Wrote press releases, took photographs, and managed department newsletter in support of parks and recreation activities.
• Created website using HTML to provide an online presence and provided public affairs guidance to the Scotland County Board of Supervisors.
Laurinburg Exchange/ Community News-Advertiser January 2005 – August 2007
• Served as Managing Editor of the Laurinburg Exchange (daily) and Community News-Advertiser (weekly).
• Managed newspaper operations, layout, and design and a staff of eight reporters. Uploaded newspaper to company website each night using HTML. Oversaw updated material to website.
U.S. Navy (Active and Reserves) March 1997 – January 2010
Mass Communications Specialist
• Provided public affairs and visual communication to various U.S. Department of Defense installations.
• Presented the U.S. Navy to Naval and civilian audiences, through a variety of media.
• Wrote and produced both print and broadcast journalism, including news and feature stories for military and civilian newspapers, magazines, and television and radio stations.
• Recorded still and video photography of military operations, exercises, and other Navy events.