I am a detail-oriented communicator with outstanding project management skills in many industries. Proven experience in creating and executing effective Public Relations strategies and in news and feature writing, direct marketing, seminar management, and trade show marketing.
My objective is delivering highly effective public relations, media relations, and marketing writing for a progressive, results-oriented company.
Berg's Eye Communications, Cumberland, Rhode Island; Principal, November 1997 to present:
• Generate media interest for clients of Commonwealth Creative Associates
• Assist with seminar preparation—For Immediate Release Public Relations
• Write articles and other materials for Essaywriters.com
• Provided public affairs outreach for Morton Hospital and Medical Center
• Secured media placements for clients of PR Works
Herald Media, Inc., Milford Daily News, Milford, Massachusetts; Reporter, January 2003 to January 2004:
• Followed political, breaking news, and human-interest stories for a suburban daily with 12,000 circulation
• Earned kudos for a series of human-interest stories on The Station Nightclub fire and its aftermath, breaking news on police resignations, and town election coverage
• Arranged and secured photo opportunities either for stories or as stand-alone pictorials; elevated to backup photographer status
JMB Communications, Plymouth, Massachusetts; Writer/Account Executive, September 1995 to January 2003 (virtual office):
• Researched and wrote news releases, media advisories, backgrounders, and white papers; created materials for special events; developed, executed, and distributed media kits
• Built target media lists and maintained contact with key editors and reporters
USS Constitution Museum, Boston, Massachusetts; Public Relations Manager, April 1998 to March 2000:
• Secured high-visibility press interviews for key Museum executives from numerous radio, print, and television outlets for "Museum on the Move" and other campaigns
• Obtained newspaper sponsorship for the Museum’s "Bricks Campaign" Fundraiser, generating $25,000 in incremental revenue
• Achieved widespread print coverage of the 20th Annual Model Shipwright Guild of New England Exhibit, including coverage from the Associated Press and the Boston Herald
Mark Berger (cont.)
American Heart Association, Framingham, Massachusetts; Communications Specialist, October 1996 to November 1997:
• Worked with print and electronic media throughout Eastern Massachusetts to increase awareness of heart disease and stroke
• Developed new programs or leveraged the success of existing programs to gain wide publicity for American Heart Association fundraising programs
• Wrote news releases, articles, and media advisories, and pitched articles to the print media and coverage opportunities to the electronic media. Achieved wide media penetration which concisely communicated key AHA messages
• Conceived, wrote, distributed, and tracked public service announcements for AHA events, gaining widespread coverage and increasing AHA’s regional visibility
National Association of Government Employees, Quincy, Massachusetts; Staff Writer, October 1993 to September 1995:
• Wrote news and feature articles for three quarterly newsletters targeting the International Brotherhood of Police Officers; Federal employees (nationally); and Massachusetts state employees
Fidelity, Inc., Mariner Newspaper Group, Marshfield, Massachusetts; Reporter, March 1993 to December 1993:
• General assignment reporter and feature writer for a group of 17 newspapers
• Topics covered included politics, education, health, crime, environmental issues, and human interest
• Researched potential stories, conducted interviews, directed photography, wrote stories according to established style guidelines, and submitted them on deadline
• Praised for jumping in and completing a breaking story about a Kingston Health agent resigning
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey -- Bachelor of Arts, Journalism/Mass Media
• Recipient, Times-Mirror Fellowship
• Dean's List
• Rutgers Club of New England.
• Former Member, Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Proficient in Microsoft Word and WordPerfect.
Portfolio and references available upon request.