JAMES P. HEALY
I'm a sharp-eyed, time-tested editor with an ear for language.
My experience includes writing and editing hard news and features, reviewing albums and concerts, taking and editing photographs, and coaching new writers for an online Web-content provider.
Under tight deadlines, I've supervised teams of editors in the daily production of general,
local and business news at a Pulitzer-winning newspaper.
I also have copy-edited one published novel. Currently I am editing the English translation of the autobiography of a Tai Chi master whom China has named one of the Top 10 living Chinese martial artists.
DEMAND MEDIA STUDIOS, Santa Monica, CA 2009-present
Copy Editor, Senior Editor
• Edit articles online for Demand Studios, which provides media content for such
Web sites as eHow, Livestrong.com and Trails.com. Was promoted to a Senior Editor
position with chief responsibility of coaching new writers.
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, San Diego, CA 1989-2009
News Slot, Point Person 1990-2009
• Supervised the work (editing, headlines, captions) of seven to 15 copy editors per shift
for four sections (general news, metro news, business and sports).
• Participated as copy editor and slot in editing stories about a congressional corruption
case, a series that earned the newsroom staff a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in
• Led the Copy Desk as "point person" from 2003 to 2004 by supervising the daily news,
business and zoning operations and the editing of all special projects, following the
departure of the Copy Desk Chief.
Zoned News Slot, Business Slot 1998-2002
• Oversaw the work of seven to 15 copy editors, and guided the daily production of four
North County zoned editions whose deadlines were just 15 minutes apart.
• Shepherded the editing and makeup of daily Business section. Supervised the editing
and headline writing each week for Sunday Business section.
Copy Editor 1989-2009
• Developed reputation for quick, quality work. Wrote headlines and captions. Edited and
revised stories. Checked facts. Proofed pages. Worked closely with Metro and News
Desks on story updates and revisions. A stickler for accuracy, clarity and detail.
Music Writer, Reviewer 1995-2009
• Wrote stories of 15 to 30 inches based on interviews with prominent musicians visiting
San Diego. Penned new-album reviews ranging from one paragraph to 20 inches.
OMAHA WORLD-HERALD, Omaha, NE 1979-1989
Copy Editor, Reporter, Reviewer
• Slotted general, state and local news and business stories. Covered police and
general-assignment beats as a reporter. Wrote music stories and reviews for
the World-Herald's Entertainment magazine.
Creighton University, Omaha, NE
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism