Ronald P. Gallagher: I bring skills and experience that helps you show the excellence of your ideas, products and services through writing that is clear, accurate and engaging. I bring an editor’s insistence on accuracy and eye for details and a reporter’s skills in research, interviewing people and selecting the most important information. I blend them with an outgoing personality and flexibility, creativity and hustle developed through real-world communications work in news, government and business.
Proven Communications Expertise
Corporate Communications 1995-2011
Independent writing and editing projects, including:
* News releases
* Annual reports
* Website blogs and news stories
* Technical/engineering reports
* Promotional materials and advertising copy
* Substitute editor of WRAL Tech Wire.com, writing, collecting and posting copy on regional technology and biotechnology industry. Coverage of Tech Wire-sponsored business executive events.
Clients have include WRAL TechWire.com, Ogilvy One Worldwide, Scottrade, Inc., WRAL.com, SAS, UNC, Duke University, Koroberi marketing and public relations, Electric Power Research Institute, State Capital Strategies business news service, and the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools central administration and the Public School Foundation, Lionbridge, Inc.
Web Editor/Content Producer
Wrote and edited copy and edited video and photos for the dominant news Web site in the Raleigh-Durham market, bringing expertise that contributed to delivering fast, accurate and comprehensive news to customers.
* Member of editing and writing team that won the 2010 national Edward R. Murrow Award for best broadcast-affiliated Web site. My skillful copy editing, which I introduced to the site, resulted in cleaner, clearer copy that helped bring home the award.
* My work raised reader satisfaction and reduced complaints about writing errors in local stories to near zero.
* I initiated a bi-weekly report on our story quality, raising both writing and content issues for the staff to consider, praising good work and noting weaknesses for improved performance.
* Reporters and editors trusted me as their partner in delivering news.
Writer and Editor Raleigh, NC
Technical writer and editor for an international engineering consulting firm
* Scripted and co-produced the office’s first-ever marketing video
* Supplied the Environmental and Transportation practices with billable professional editing of client deliverables as a market advantage
* Assigned by U.S. headquarters to write for industry publications
* Reviewed project proposals to clients
Tompkins Associates Inc. 2001-2003
Market Communications/Publications Writer/Editor Raleigh, NC
Senior editing and writing professional in marketing communications and publications for a global supply chain/industrial engineering consulting firm
* Wrote CEO opinion columns for Web and print
* Edited company president’s books and for subject-matter experts’ white papers and monographs
* Edited all copy for quarterly glossy marketing magazine about the industry topics
MA Department of Environmental Protection 1992-1995
Regional Planner Boston, MA
Hired to assure state compliance with federal requirements for hazardous-waste site assessments written by engineers and scientists
* Researched and wrote state application for $5 million grant to the agency under the federal Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) program for military sites
* Achieved major improvements in federal-state relations in the site-assessment program
* Worked easily with engineers and scientists to assure compliance
Print & Broadcast News Experience
Eleven uninterrupted years of daily news experience in New York and Connecticut
* 1980 to 1984, copy editor and then Metro Desk copy chief at The Hartford Courant, directing 12 copy editors responsible for five editions a day
* 1980, United Press International in New York City as evening director of the staff responsible for coverage of the New York metro area and northern New Jersey;
* 1975 to1979, reporter and photographer in UPI bureau in Albany, N.Y., then editor for reports for upstate New York AM and PM newspapers and radio and television clients
* 1973 to 1975 , reporter/photographer at the Middletown, N.Y., Times Herald-Record covering local, county and state government and courts, police beats and general-assignment stories
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, A.B., Newspaper and History
Tufts University, Medford, MA, Urban & Environmental Policy master’s program (ABT)