I am a recent law graduate with a passion for writing about politics, technology, and the places where they intersect. I am well read on a diverse number of political and technical topics, though my interests have focused predominantly on energy policy -- specifically related to nuclear energy -- and its interplay with the modern regulatory state of late. Other topics I have written at length on recently include the law and economics of certain alternative heavy-lifting platforms(principally Project Orion), the evolution of warfighting during the Peloponnesian War, and applicable choice-of-law provisions for single car accidents in the State of Delaware.
Legal Education: Washburn University School of Law Topeka, KS
Juris Doctor, May 2010
President, Washburn Law Federalist Society Chapter 2009-2010
Vice President, Washburn Law Federalist Society Chapter 2008-2009
Undergraduate: High Point University High Point, NC
Education Bachelor of the Arts in History, December 2006
Law Offices of Schmittinger & Rodriguez, P.A. Dover, DE
Law Clerk 12/2007-Present
• Researched a wide range of legal issues for a medium-sized general practice firm.
• Drafted briefs, complaints, contracts, motions, memoranda, responses to the aforementioned, and other legal documents as needed.
• Found, collated, and summarized relevant case law to familiarize the firm’s partners.
• Conducted entity searches using the Delaware Division of Corporations' web portal.
• Data entry and retrieval from firm's proprietary case management software.
• Undertook paralegal functionality responding to interrogatories and requests for production, drafting settlement demands.
• Continued undertaking same duties as previous position as required.
Administrative Assistant and Assistant Network Administrator 06/1999-08/2007
• Provided help desk functionality for all computer- and network-related problems.
• Maintained network and end-user hardware, as well as installation and upgrades thereof, under supervision of Network Administrator.
• Maintained the Network Administrator's e-mail and calender.
• Answered and screened calls for the Network Administrator.
• Used Lexis and Westlaw to locate specific cases requested by attorneys.
• Filed court documents electronically using Lexis’s File and Serve.
• Conducted factual investigation and located individuals and assets using Accurint.
• Maintained the firm’s proprietary Personal Injury and Worker’s Compensation databases.
Law Accomplishments & Noteworthy Activities
• Organized the Washburn Federalist Society Chapter’s speakers’ schedule for 2009-2010.
• Orchestrated the organization of all the Washburn Federalist Society Chapter’s events for the 2009-2010 academic year.
• Established and maintained Washburn Federalist Society Chapter’s blawg, Facebook, and Twitter pages.
Language & Technical Skills
• Familiarity with diverse operating environments, including Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7, Apple OS 8.6 through 10.5 on both Intel and Generation chipsets, and passing familiarity with command line systems such as DOS and UNIX.
• Experience with a wide variety of word processors and productivity suites: Microsoft Word 97/2000/2003/2004/2007/2010, Corel WordPerfect 3.5/5.1/7/8/10/11; Microsoft Office 2000/2003/2007/2010, Corel WordPerfect Office 7/8/10/11, and OpenOffice 2.x/3.x.
• Experience with a diverse range of academic and legal search tools, including LexisNexis, Westlaw, Google Scholar, and JSTOR.
• Basic knowledge of HTML and experience with several web page creation programs, including Frontpage 2003 and Adobe Creative Suite 1/3.
• Basic knowledge of image editing programs and experience with Photoshop CS 1/3 and Paint.NET 3.5.x.
• Elementary spoken Japanese proficiency; more advanced reading proficiency.