Accomplished Human Resources professional with proven ability to perform in service-driven HR Functions. Comfortable with multi-faceted projects while directing day-to-day activities. Excellent communicator with exceptional problem solving abilities. Areas of expertise include:
Design/Facilitation of HR Training Programs Vendor Management
Benefit Communication Design Project Management
Legal Compliance Contract Negotiations
HR SOLUTIONS – Newport Beach, CA 9/2011 – 9/2011
Contract assignment as a Benefits Consultant at Young's Market in Tustin. Worked with Broker to design Open Enrollment communications. Managed 401(k) and Pension Plan Audits. Assisted employees with benefit enrollments, leave of absence inquiries and processed vendor bills.
BAKER ENTERPRISES – Irvine, CA 4/2011 – 9/2011
Contract assignment as a Human Resources Manager for an international distributor. Administer all HR functions for the local office. Developed employee handbook and implemented several benefit programs at no cost to Company.
HR ONLY – Irvine, CA 8/2010- 12/2010
Contract assignment as a Benefits Specialist at Veterinary Pet Insurance in Brea. Created efficiencies around entire LOA process including an employee informational packet. Organized and streamlined processes for open enrollment, assisted employees with benefit enrollments, entered data and ran reports in the ADP HR/Benefits system. Processed vendor bills.
JAMES HARDIE BUILDING PRODUCTS – Mission Viejo, CA 8/2003 – 2/2010
(Worldwide manufacturer of fiber cement building materials)
Responsible for designing, developing, and implementing employee benefit plans for 2000 employees in the US and Canada. Provided guidance and assistance to the HR Team of 25 people in 10 manufacturing plants and three Regional Offices. Managed a corporate benefit budget of $50M.
• LOA Management. In addition to processing leaves, trained staff on current HIPAA and FMLA laws. Ensured all forms and communications were current and in compliance current state and federal laws.
• Reviewed and negotiated contract provisions with insurance carriers, administrators and service providers.
• Led the Company’s implementation process of auto enrollment for the 401k plan resulting in a 28% increase in participation.
• Coordinated the execution of plan documents and service agreements with the Legal Department.
• Assured all company-sponsored plans, including their design and changes, were in compliance with all relevant ERISA, DOL, and IRS requirements.
• Developed and recommended new, improved and/or changes to benefit programs.
• Coordinated internal/external benefit audits.
• With Benefit Broker, served as a liaison with insurance carriers to obtain renewals, settlements, claims and utilization data as well as enrollment information.
• Utilized ADP Application to solve daily HR/Payroll/Benefit inquiries.
HR SOLUTIONS – Irvine, CA 1/2003 – 8/2003
Contract assignment in the Orange County Market for a Fortune 500 company specializing in automotive services. Organized and streamlined processes for open enrollment, workers compensation, vendor billing and employee communications.
ALLIANCE IMAGING, INC. – Anaheim, CA 1/2001 – 12/2002
(National diagnostic imaging company)
Responsible for planning, developing and administering employee benefit programs. Provided guidance and assistance to nine regions on various benefit plans (self-insured, fully-insured, PPO and HMO). Directed multiple vendors and brokers to specification keeping within budget. Effectively motivated and managed a benefits team consisting of three benefit coordinators for a healthcare company of 2400 employees operating in 43 states.
• Reviewed and negotiated health and welfare contracts and performance guarantees resulting in a $180,000 cost savings.
• Designed a 401(k) education training which resulted in a 10% increase in participation.
• Analyzed plan experience information, current trends and competitive benchmarking resulting in plan design improvements.
• Developed loss-sensitive workers compensation strategies resulting in increased employee return to work ratios.
• Developed benefit policies and procedures while ensuring compliance with State and Federal regulations.
HR ONLY – Irvine, CA 3/2000 – 12/2001
Contract assignment for the County of Orange Corporate Office. Responsible for managing all aspects of benefit plans for the positions of Executive, Judge and Attorney.
BAXTER HEALTHCARE, CARDIOVASCULAR GROUP – Irvine, CA 3/1979 – 3/2000
(National manufacturer of medical devices)
Provided HR support for a division of 1500 employees with primary focus directed towards the administration and design of communications for compensation and benefit administration. Supervised two benefits coordinators and provided support to three coordinators in off-site locations.
Senior Human Resources Specialist (1998-2000)
• Developed and implemented quarterly employee benefit communications and training programs which increased employee awareness.
• Led the open enrollment process and developed a new employee orientation program.
• Successfully served as an internal consultant and resource to leadership teams with the purpose of ensuring appropriate administration and implementation of policies, procedures and programs.
• Provided technical interpretation while ensuring compliance of health and welfare plans, retirement plans and work/life programs (including FMLA).
• Implemented wellness programs such as an annual health faire, quarterly benefit fairs, on-site massage and health screenings, etc.
Human Resources Specialist (1993-1998)
• Managed a staff of three in the benefits department with a budgetary accountability of $100,000.
• Partnered with management by providing guidance to successfully resolve employee relations and communications issues.
• Developed a policies and procedures manual as well as an employee handbook.
• Participated in the facilitation of three major organizational restructures through mid-1996 by integrating three separate company benefit programs into one.
Previously held positions of Benefits Coordinator and Employment Coordinator.
• Current Member of Orange County Compensation & Benefits Association (OCCABA).
• Member of Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sue-kobuki/2/642/b39.
• Certificate in Human Resources Management.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Working knowledge gained with daily exposure of ADP-Reporting Software.
• In-depth knowledge of benefit policies, practices, common exclusions and imitations and