• Led production of state law print products for multiple jurisdictions simultaneously with a legal publishing company. One of the jurisdictions was a top-ten revenue producer for the company.
• Represented the Chief Staff Attorney’s Office at a recruitment panel at the College of William and Mary for two consecutive years.
• Accurately estimated the production time for The Cavalier Daily one night weekly, reducing excess courier fees by more than 15%.
• Summarized a municipal tax case for the Justices of the Supreme Court of Virginia. Condensed 25 reams of material into an eight-page memorandum while preserving the concepts of the case.
• Reviewed and edited nightly the lead editorial column for The Cavalier Daily. Edited approximately 200 columns representing the paper, while preserving the original voices of the column’s authors.
• Gathered and organized the cases and materials used in law courses taught by one of the foremost First Amendment scholars in the country. Materials were used in place of and as supplements to textbooks for two upper class law courses.
• Wrote material considered for inclusion in computer and Internet use policies at the College of William and Mary. Translated legal terminology and definitions into language usable by students and staff.
• Wrote a law firm’s first technical user’s manual in more than 15 years.
• Planned the upgrade of a server supporting a law firm’s 15-terminal computer network. Upgrade increased processing speed by a factor of four and cut the number of crashes by two thirds, while doubling storage space.
• Directed the installation of high-speed Internet service at a law firm. New installation allowed 14 terminals to use the Internet simultaneously with increased connection speeds. Previous system allowed access for only one terminal at a time.
MCGUIREWOODS LLP 2010-2011
E-Discovery Staff Attorney. Wrote protocols to describe case background for and establish guidelines for document review attorneys involved in complex litigation and government investigations. Executed quality control measures on documents before production to opposing parties and government agencies. Communicated with supervising attorneys to ensure quality and timely delivery of document productions and other projects. Rewrote load files as necessary to ensure correct productions.
LAWYER’S STAFFING, INC. 2006-2010
Contract Attorney (Temporary). Analyzed electronic and paper documents for complex litigation at a large law firm. Categorized and evaluated documents using numerous parameters, based on facts and law relevant to each case, under guidance of supervising attorneys.
NATIONAL CENTER FOR STATE COURTS 2005-2006
Knowledge and Information Services Analyst. Responded to requests for research assistance from court personnel, legal professionals and journalists worldwide. Created online content for use on organization’s Web site, including an emergency resources page for court personnel affected by Hurricane Katrina.
Legal Analyst: Updated, enhanced and maintained state law books, legal research books and online products. Edited and ensured proper placement of new legislation and research aids within print and online products. Built and maintained professional relationships with state and municipal officials responsible for publication of new legislation.
CHIEF STAFF ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, Supreme Court of Va. 2002, 1997-1999
Clerk: Reviewed and summarized cases appealed to Court and presented summaries to Justices. Reviewed each case for compliance with the Court’s procedural rules. Responsible for more than 500 cases before the Court.
MASON, MASON, WALKER & HEDRICK, P.C. 1999-2002
(General practice law firm)
Writer: Researched, wrote and edited documents. Also maintained 15-terminal computer network. Produced more than 200 documents for submission to state and federal courts.
SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIA LEGAL SERVICES 1996-1997
Intern: Designed letters and documents to make sophisticated legal information more accessible to clients. Contacted and met with clients to ensure that their needs were met.
PROF. RODNEY SMOLLA 1995-1996
(One of the nation’s leading First Amendment scholars)
Research Assistant: Gathered, organized and edited materials for use in courses, books and seminars.
THE CAVALIER DAILY 1990-1994
(Virginia’s oldest collegiate daily newspaper, circulation 10,000)
Assistant Managing Editor: Edited and proofread all copy, four nights weekly. Acted as managing editor, with power of final approval over all copy, headlines and layout, one night weekly.
Copy Editor: Edited and proofread all copy one night weekly. Created layout and selected stories for national news section one night weekly.
Associate Editor: Appointed to cover the student life beat, maintaining contacts with administration and student leaders. Designed layout and wrote headlines for news section.
GREENVILLE PIEDMONT Vacations, 1990-1994
(Afternoon newspaper, circulation 35,000)
Reporter Intern: Wrote news and feature stories, including one feature picked up by the Associated Press.
MARSHALL-WYTHE SCHOOL OF LAW AT THE COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY
Juris Doctor; 1997
• Admitted to Virginia State Bar, June 1998
• Honors in Legal Skills I, II and IV, for excellent research, writing and client relations (only 15% of class received Honors for 3 or more semesters)
• Publicity Chairwoman, Black Graduate Students Association
• Member, Moot Court Team
• Administrative Justice, National Trial Team
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
Bachelor of Arts, English; 1994
• Intermediate Honors (highest academic honor for underclassmen)
• Dean’s List
• Virginia Raven Society (honor society)
• Golden Key National Honor Society