Award-Winning Graphic Designer
Excellent creative skills • Project management & production
• Creative, results-oriented designer
• Self-motivated and organized; able to work both independently and enjoy participating on a team
• Strong work ethic with the ability to get the job done right, on time and within budget
Areas of Expertise
• Quality solutions for cohesive brand identity: Design & production of logos, brochures, websites, direct mail,
packaging, POP, sell sheets, tradeshow booths and support materials and more
• High-quality product illustration for marketing & technical support
• Highly-skilled in pre-press preparation for commercial offset and digital printing
• Mac and PC: Quark, InDesign, Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
Highlighted Professional Experiences
Assess clients’ needs and develop successful designs for promotional, marketing and collateral materials across a wide variety of industries including: high-tech, software, utilities, biomedical, nanotech, oil & gas, and consumer food products (human and pet).
Some highlighted experiences include:
• Innovative product launches promoting SpacePort America, NM & UP Aerospace” – Microgravity Enterprises, Inc.: I was the key driver in product naming process and brand identity for 2 products: Antimatter Energy Drink and Space2O Enriched Water – ingredients were uniquely flown in zero-gravity space via a recoverable rocket. Brand components included logos, packaging, and websites for which we won numerous awards from American Corporate Identity. The project also included producing various P.O.P. displays and coolers. Achievement: Distribution in Walgreens and many liquor & grocery store chains.
• Active Life Pet Products: I was in charge of developing brand identity for 4 unique lines of pet food products (Active Life, Osteocare, Boulder Creek Farms, and Swift Runner). Each included unique brand positioning (markets / pricing), logos, packaging, in-store and/or vet clinic P.O.P. displays, trifold brochures, in-store signage and print management. Achievement: $1.25M in sales the first year.
• Brand identity – Myogen, Inc. I helped launch this bioscience startup company with a strong brand identity, well structured executive-level Powerpoint presentations, and effective collateral items for attracting investors. Achievement: Myogen was bought by Gilead Sciences for $2.6B cash seven years later.
• Brand management for Culinary Software Services, Inc., an enterprise-level foodservice software company. For nearly a decade I have been in charge of CSS’s overall brand identity and extension including seven product logos, packaging, direct-mail materials, website support graphics and promotional tradeshow items. Achievement: Credited with increased product sales by +160%.
• Project & team management for International Association of Drilling Contractors.
I was the key driver of this unique 1,400+ page Master Driller manual that serves the international oil & gas industry. I developed a production style guide and directed the staff. I also assisted in technical illustration for this manual that required all new formatting, redrawing 700 illustrations and 400 photos.
Achievement: This 14-month project was completed two months early and approx. $5,500 under budget.
Lightspeed Commercial Arts, Boulder, CO Currently
Art Direction / Designer: Perform many aspects of art direction and graphic design including working with contract designers/illustrators on various projects with large production requirements as well as customer service support. I have received numerous awards for logos and packaging from American Corporate Identity and Graphis International.
Active Life Pet Products, Boulder, CO / April 2002 to late 2004
Art Director & Designer: See Sampling of Professional Experiences
w3w3.com Media Network®, Denver, CO July 2000 - March 2002
Art Director & Designer: Responsible for designing and maintaining graphic look of web portal, promotional print and online marketing materials.
Success Network , Boulder & Brisbane, Australia / July ‘87- Ag ‘89
Art Director & Designer: Art directed staff that created marketing and support materials for 22 business training seminars being conducted in Australia, New Zealand and eight Asian countries. Print managed all outside production in Australia and USA – Direct mail brochures, training workbooks, & audio sleeve covers.
Ball Aerospace, Contract Illustrator: Boulder, CO Sept ‘84 - July ‘87 and again Sept ‘89 - June 2000
Graphics department: Created technical illustrations from blueprint reference for use in test procedures, contract proposal, installation instructions, government spending oversight committees, etc.
– Considered a high-level performer, often personally requested by VPs and project managers when the
highest quality or limited time were critical factors.
– Projects included: SDI fast-steering mirrors, laser communication devices, infrared telescopes, commercial
aircraft antennas, 9-ft bearings for solar panels on International Space Station & Hubble Telescope update.
Milwaukee Area Technical College – Associate Deg., Commercial Art (Phi Theta Kappa), WI
University of Wisconsin / Milwaukee – BA Fine Art Program/Senior, Milwaukee, WI