Analytical, creative, and results oriented communications and marketing professional. 25 years NZ and international public relations and communications experience, strong background in project, change and financial management, in particular within highly technical areas.
Working on legislative issues for over 10 years. Due to change, modification or amendments of legislation, I endeavour to ensure people are treated fairly and legally under certain legislation and are aware of changes. Many people do not know their rights under law, and I work very hard to ensure people are informed.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Technical writing
• Government relations
• Internal & external communications
• Public & media relations
• Research and analysis
• Change/project management
• Financial Management
• Financial analysis/budget management
HYOSHI (NZ) LTD
Owner/Operator – Consultant
1997 – current
Tutoring university level communications students.
Published two books for private client. From design, layout, print management to final product.
Freelance advocacy work including (but not limited to) studying, interpreting and assisting clients with understanding legislation on a number of matters. Due to the sensitivity of this work I am unable to provide specifics via this CV.
Other contracts have included (but not limited to):
EARTHQUAKE COMMISSION (EQC), Auckland NZ
Claims Administration Supervisor
Contracted for two ‘tours of duty’ in Auckland to deal with landslide claims. Many of these were ‘monsters’ with people literally losing their homes.
• Liaison with all field office staff and head office to ensure the processes ran as smoothly as possible. Reporting results (including financial) to IT and supervisors. Training of new staff on processes
• As EQC work is ‘event driven’ each event is different, therefore change in processes and IT is ongoing, and communicating this to office and field staff changes with each event. Also worked very closely with engineers, claimants and other stakeholders to ensure information flow prompt and effective.
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING AND HOUSING, Wellington NZ
Change/Process Consultant and Technical Writer
• Advise on determinations process improvements/changes
• Technical writing for internal determinations manual and public booklet
• Contribution to quasi-judicial processes
• Support for determinations “case management”.
EARTHQUAKE COMMISSION (EQC), Gisborne NZ
Claims Administration Supervisor
Contracted to set up (from scratch) EQC Field Office 2 in Gisborne, due to the overwhelming number of claims resulting from the earthquake of 20 December 2007.
In just over a week the office was fully functional with 40 loss adjusters, assessors and 4 local temporary admin staff. Field Office 2 facilitated the expediting of settling claims, and ultimately reducing the extensive cost, both financially and logistically.
• Similar to the Auckland event with the added responsibility to ensure all new staff were trained and understood new processes. As this was an earthquake event rather than landslides, the technical nature of internal and external communications was also different.
GREATER WELLINGTON REGIONAL COUNCIL, Wellington NZ,
Senior Communications Advisor – Environmental Issues
Responsible for internal and external communications regarding environmental issues in the Wellington region.
• Liaison with Environment Manager regarding communications material (including media). Required to make sure staff were advised of communications issues, as at this time there were a number of court cases around polluters. The importance being that all staff knew details of the cases, and in particular not to release any unauthorised information ‘to the outside’ due to legal requirements
• Writing for GWRC newspaper on environmental issues. This required obtaining information and co-operation from staff and outside sources to compile accurate articles.
MINISTRY OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT, Wellington NZ
Senior Communications Advisor
Responsible for all internal, external, media and Ministerial communications for the implementation, strategy & pre-launch stage of the SuperGold Card project (SGC). As this was a new scheme I was required to ensure staff at all levels (from CEO to frontline) were fully informed as to the benefits and workings of the SGC, and competent in fielding any enquiries.
This included (but was not limited to):
• Development and implementation of strategic marketing and communications plan
• Working with key stakeholders including District Heath Boards New Zealand (DHBNZ), Public Health Organisations (PHOs), Local Government New Zealand (LGNZ), Veterans Affairs (VANZ), Ministry of Health and other stakeholders (at all levels), to facilitate collaborative marketing and communications activity, especially within the healthcare sector, due to the Community Services Card function of the SuperGold Card
• Analysis of market research and recommendations from findings
• Advertisement production, media planning, buying and placement
• Media management including copywriting and supervision of editorial and press releases
• Working on technical issues with Unisys including barcode and magnetic strip specifications, placement and testing, card design issues, manufacture of sample cards and other project management issues.
ASL (Aviation Services Ltd/Assessment Services Ltd), Wellington NZ,
2006 – 2007
Contracted to conduct research and analysis to identify potential opportunities to expand the business into other sectors outside their core business, being Aviation. (ASL evolved as a private enterprise from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). This included extensive research into many training and certification organisations worldwide. Reported recommendations to Board on completion.
TOWER INVESTMENTS, Wellington NZ
Senior Communications Consultant
Contracted to undertake a number of communications projects, including:
• Company-wide re-branding project
• Internal communications and training at all levels, including call centre staff, to ensure all staff understood, were aware, and on-board with new brand
• Studying, interpreting and communicating legislative requirements to staff and clients through communications material (internal and external), on Kiwisaver workplace superannuation scheme and Portfolio Investment Entities (PIE)
• Internal and external communications and training at all levels, to ensure all staff understood and were aware of up-coming tax changes related to investments, including Kiwisaver and PIE
• Writing articles for financial media on Kiwisaver and PIE
• Internal promotion and training of staff on the KiwiSaver scheme.
Work included (but was not limited to):
• Contribution to all aspects of re-branding project, including all internal and external electronic, print and other material
• Producing investment statements, annual reports, and other collateral related to investment products
• Writing press releases for media, financial and other organisations on investment issues, including tax changes (PIE), and KiwiSaver
• Preparing presentations for Tower to achieve preferred (Kiwisaver) provider status.
CORPORATE DESIGN LTD, Wellington NZ,
Business Development, Relationship Management and Freelance Work including (but not limited to) copywriting, Photography, Design, Layout, etc
2004 – 2005
Work included (but was not limited to):
• Managed existing clients and developing new business
• Completed freelance jobs for various clients, including copywriting, photography, design, print broking, and more
• Clients included various government departments, non-profit organisations, associations, Industry Training Organisations (ITOs) and private sector.
BCITO (Building & Construction Industry Training Organisation), Wellington NZ
Contracted to revise design/layout and edit apprentice and assessor manuals due to new building standards, changes in legislation and the Building Code, in part due to the ‘leaky homes’ crisis.
MASTER PLUMBERS, DRAINLAYERS & GASFITTERS NZ INC – Industry Training Organisation (ITO), Wellington NZ
Contracted to produce all promotional & communications material for the ITO, including launch of Recruitment Taskforce, database development, liaison with relevant government departments, public relations and other duties, including (but not limited to):
• Develop and implement communications strategy for Taskforce launch
• Conduct research and analysis to provide material for lobbying government
• Develop and produce Powerpoint presentations for industry conferences and other events
• Media planning, buying/negotiation, design, copywriting, production and placement of ads and editorial
• Develop and maintain databases for government, industry and media
• Liaise with industry, government agencies, tertiary institutions and other stakeholders to assist and co-operate in achieving goals
• Event management.
PARSONS BRINCKERHOFF (PB POWER Asia/Pacific), Wellington NZ,
Marketing & Communications Consultant
Employed during re-organisation of Asia/Pacific HO of New York based engineering consultancy.
• Compiled bid proposals for major power projects in NZ (including Huntly extension), and Asia/Pacific region. Wrote and produced Capability Statements for all areas of power generation (ie: Wind, Solar, CCGT, Hydro, Biomass, etc)
• Liaise with key stakeholders including World Bank, ADB, IMF and other global organizations regarding funding and tenders for infrastructural energy projects in the Asia/Pacific region
• Create global database for public relations, advertising, staff & client information.
ARTS & EDUCATION, Washington DC
Marketing, Communications & Systems Advisor
1998 – 1999
Arts & Education is a non-profit drug education program that runs in schools throughout Arlington County, Virginia. Contracted to facilitate a major fundraising campaign and upgrade all office equipment, processes and procedures.
• Event management and public relations surrounding the event
• Rebuild computer systems and train staff on use of the new hardware and software, including internet operations
• Results were an increased number of young people on the programme, from 500 to 300,000.
HUTT CITY COUNCIL, Wellington NZ
Executive Advisor to the Mayor
Contracted to fill-in for the incumbent who was away on a sister cities exchange programme. Work included (but was not limited to):
• Speech writing, press releases, liaison with media
• Event management (including the swearing in ceremony for the Mayors new term)
• Overseeing Mayors Charitable Trust and vetting applications.
WELLINGTON CITY COUNCIL, Wellington NZ
• Responsible for development and writing all infrastructural Asset Management Plans for the Government Audit Office, Councillors, the Mayor, Council staff and public information. This was due to change in local government legislation
• Prepare, write and balance all capital expenditure proposals for upcoming 3 years
• Research and produce Integrated Core Property (ICP) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) guides for staff and public information. Liaise with, and train council staff on implementation and maintenance of the Asset Management and ICP/GIS systems.
U.S. AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION, Washington DC
Marketing Manager, Embassy Liaison
1994 – 1996
Work included (but was not limited to):
• Liaison and co-operation with defense attaches, ambassadors, Pentagon Foreign Liaison, Department of Defence personnel, NASA, JPL, national and international aerospace industry and media, to achieve common goals
• Conducted 3 year media industry study indicating and evaluating trends in the aerospace and defence marketplace
• Re-organised and restructured databases, creating an effective direct marketing and data information resource.
DESIGN MEDIA LTD, (Marketing Concepts Asia/Pacific Ltd), Hong Kong,
1987 – 1994, Hong Kong
(clients in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, USA, Europe and the Middle East)
• Administrator of the Hong Kong Cancer Fund. The HKCF grew from a small ‘backyard’ operation to a staff of about 10 with hundreds of volunteers. Set up accounting, administration and desktop publishing systems, trained staff, wrote internal user manuals, advised on requirements for future growth
• Conducted media industry survey to analyse the feasibility of introducing a new specialized TV network in Hong Kong. Calculated all set-up costs, proposed advertising rates, reach analysis and other financial and statistical data
• Brokering of television programming, buying primarily from European, New Zealand, Chinese and Japanese distributors, selling to China, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Taiwan, South Korea and Macau
• More Design Media contract details available on request.
LINTAS ADVERTISING, Wellington, NZ
IT Change Consultant/Administrative Accountant/Media Manager
Responsible for re-organisation of previous administration. Subsequently employed as Media Manager after reorganisation complete.
The previous computer and reporting systems were out of date and revenue lost due to inaccurate reporting from staff. Together with the Director of Operations (based in Sydney), we installed new systems across the board (accounting, client service, creative and media management systems). Required to ensure all staff were aware of the operational and practical nature of the changes, train them to effectively utilise these systems to maximise cash flow and profit.
• National media planning and buying
• Installed new computer systems for administration and media planning/buying
• Prepared and wrote internal user manuals
• Staff training
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST