Highly experienced designer, bringing multidisciplinary experience to every creative project and campaign. Talents and abilities to produce high-impact work in print and web as it applies to identity, promotions, print collateral and marketing. Excellent record of generating creative work while meeting fiscal objectives and deadlines.
Principal and Designer
Silver Arrow Creative
2008 – present
Owner of firm, dedicated to providing distinctive design solutions for identity, print, web, and more.
• Created a trendy, national campaign of in-store signage, magazine display, along with magazine labels and inserts for Liquid.com and Cosmopolitan Magazine’s “Free Music Download” promotion.
• Created website and start-up collateral for the Bluemont Group, contributing to the franchanisee’s rapid growth in East Tennessee.
Anderson News, LLC
2005 - 2008
Department head, responsible for leading design team in production of high-impact design solutions for multiple divisions and companies affiliated with Anderson News and Anderson Media Corporation.
• Created or directed marketing presentations and collateral materials for 40 account executives and managers, ensuring proper representation of Anderson News to 50 major retail accounts.
• Created identities and managed brand for the Anderson Companies and affiliates plus various programs.
• Designed initial packaging for Anderson’s first products beyond printed materials — Visual*Solutions eyewear, Light Reader pocket magnifying cards, and Protect-A-Book book and magazine covers.
Anderson News Company LLC
1993 - 2005
Designed and procured free-standing P-O-P displays, product packaging, in-store category signage, and department fixtures for supermarket and mass merchandiser classes-of-trade. Supervised and participated in the creation of business presentations, inter-company newsletters, general use graphics, trade show booths, company training videos, and corporate events.
• Created the “Newscenter Department” concept, a print-product and multimedia department for supermarkets. The department’s success along with the marketing collateral generated for this program led to Anderson News increasing its dedicated retail space by 30% in 5 years.
Anderson News Company
Florence, AL / Knoxville, TN
1988 - 1993
Created marketing and sales materials. Developed promotional mediums to meet company’s retail agenda.
• Established company’s desktop publishing office in 1988, then entrusted to establish the corporate design office in Knoxville in 1990.
• Created packaging for collector card products that helped lead to Treat Entertainment securing a multi-million dollar contract with Wal-Mart.
Comm. Spec. - Graphics
Tennessee Valley Authority
Muscle Shoals, AL
1984 - 1988
Produced information and communication graphics for agricultural science related AV presentations,posters, exhibits, and publications while working directly with scientists and engineers.
AREAS OF DESIGN EXPERIENCE
Corporate Marketing Presentation [presentations, PowerPoint templates]
Event Promotion and Meeting Graphics [print and multimedia presentation, specialty attire and accessories]
Graphic Design [page layout, charts and graphs]
Identity and Branding [logos, identity programs and guidelines]
Illustration [technical and general, cartoons]
Packaging [product package and product skin]
Point-of-Purchase [promotional materials, displays]
Print Collateral [brochures, newsletters, catalogs]
Retail Environment [in-store signage, department concepts and details]
Web Site Design [HTML, CSS, Basic Flash and AS3]
Adobe Creative Suite [DreamWeaver, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop]
Apple iWork [Keynote, Numbers, Pages]
Microsoft Office [Excel, PowerPoint, Word]
WEB DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGES
CURRENTLY IN TRAINING
“Social Media Marketing with Facebook and Twitter”
“Best Practices for Flash-based Banner Ads”
“Effective HTML Email and Newsletters”
BFA University of North Alabama | Graphic Design and Illustration | 1989
Magna *** Laude | Featured illustrator in UNA’s Lights and Shadows publication
School of Visual Arts | Milton Glaser’s Summer Workshop | 1985
PROFESSIONAL AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
AIGA Knoxville Chapter — President | 1992 - 1994 and Chapter Secretary | 1990 - 1991
Portfolio currently available at: www.ronaldkoontz.com. Full portfolio available upon request.