• 10 years of planning, writing and editing content for print and online media
• 10 years of writing, editing and researching for corporate clients
• 6 years of managing editorial staffs, several freelancers and large budgets
• 3 years of using social media to help promote core media products
• Proficient in InDesign/InCopy and AP/Chicago Manual styles
• Experience managing client relationships and speaking publicly
• Strengths: story generation, writing and reporting, editing, organization, efficiency, innovation, knowledge of the publishing industry and journalism trends
PHOENIX magazine 75,000 circulation
Editor-in-Chief May 2007-September 2011
Managing Editor August 2005-May 2007
• Plan, write, and edit stories for monthly general interest magazine that covers a wide range of topics for the Phoenix metropolitan area. Stories cover local and regional news, politics, culture, people, travel and trends, and range from short, punchy features to long-form, gritty investigative pieces.
• Work closely with art directors to carry out visual presentation of editorial.
• Manage team of editors and 20-30 freelance writers, overseeing all assignments and content from start to finish.
• Work closely with the production team to create print schedules and ensure the timely publication of each issue.
• Work closely with the Web and marketing teams to enhance readership through online content and Facebook/Twitter campaigns.
• Appear on TV and radio to promote the magazine and its content.
• Engage in longer-term planning with the president, publisher and owner to help grow circulation and newsstand sales.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: In my first year as editor, I oversaw a redesign of the magazine that helped increase newsstand sales by 15% and subscriptions by 5% (in a down economy). In the past four years, I have overseen nine best-selling issues in the magazine’s 45-year history, while circulation hit an all-time high in 2011.
Arizona State University
Adjunct Professor August 2010-May 2011
• Taught magazine writing to students at The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Associate Editor January 2004-August 2005
• Developed, wrote and edited content for more than 10 custom publication titles, including About Health, Smarthealth, and Arrive (Amtrak’s onboard magazine).
• Worked daily with more than 40 clients nationwide to develop and edit content for their custom publications; also met with clients directly to maintain relationships.
• Brainstormed feature concepts with editorial staff for all magazines.
• Worked with designers to create visually appealing products
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Helped develop and launch new magazine for CBS television.
Real Simple, Food Network magazine, The Boston Globe, Cape Cod Times, Phoenix New Times, Arizona Business magazine, The Arizona Republic, Momentum magazine, Culture Map Austin, Keller Williams Realty, National Speakers Association, Active Voice Communications
Arizona State University: B.A. in Journalism, The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, 2003
Editor-in-chief of award-winning campus magazine, State Press Magazine
Speaker for the Arizona chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Volunteer for various animal shelters and no-**** organizations