I write fiction, non-fiction, poetry, songs, feature, reporting, TV scripts, radio scripts, plays, movie scripts, essays, novels-- pretty much everything; I'm taking as many writing electives as I can. I'm due to graduate with a Bachelors in communication in May 2012 with a major in journalism print and a minor in English.
The University of Texas-Pan American, Edinburg, TX
Bachelors of Arts in Communication – Mass Communication Minor: English
Date of Graduation: May 2012
• La Joya Early Graduate Scholarship, Recipient Fall 2008
• Multi-media storytelling Visual Communications Media Law & Ethics
• Photojournalism Scriptwriting Reporting I & II
• TV Production Feature Writing Creative Writing I & II
• Advanced TV Prod. Video Editing Copy Editing
• Audio Production Playwriting Media Publishing
ORGANIZATIONS & ACTIVITIES
Ally Organization, Member Fall 2008 – Spring 2012
• Organization focused on educating the university community on GLBT issues.
• Attended meetings and events, which host motivational speakers and provide a support system for the GLBT community.
College Assistant Migrant Program (CAMP), Member & Alumni Fall 2008 – Spring 2012
• Organization created to assist former migrant students entering the university as freshman.
• Program aims to get students involved with campus organizations, provides mentoring and tutoring as well as provides scholarships for financial assistance to ensure students are successful in their transition into college.
Atheist Student Organization, Member Spring 2012 – Summer 2012
• New organization focused on educating the university on atheist issues.
• Attended meetings and events, which host motivational speakers and provide a support system for the atheist community.
Latina Lista (national known blog): Intern Writer. Spring 2011
It can be found at: http://www.latinalista.net.
“Ricky Martin: A Humble Artist with a Passion for Music” — Latina Lista blog January 2011
• Book review on Ricky Martin’s book “Me.”
“A Sister’s Death Spurs a Life Quest for Environmental Truth” — Latina Lista blog February 2011
• Profile on environmental activist Suzie Canales.
“On Her Own: One Young Latina Strives for College Success” — Latina Lista blog March 2011
• Personal essay about making it through college without the help of my parents.
“Heart Disease Hits Latinas via Multiple Risk Factors” — Latina Lista blog March 2011
• Informative about heart disease and Latinas.
“Freeing the Voice of Incarcerated Women and Troubled Youth” — Latina Lista blog April 2011
• Profile on an English professor who helps incarcerated people with literature.
“Soledad O’Brien — An Afro-Latina by Birth and a Journalist by Choice” — Latina Lista blog May 2011
• Book review on Soledad O’Brien’s book “The Next Big Story.”
Panorama (multiple times winner of the Pacemaker award): Writer and Copy Editor Spring 2011
“Antidote to an Open Marriage” – UTPA Panorama May 2011
• Feature article providing insight into bisexuality and its relationship to open marriage.
• Personal essay.
“Brujeria with la Santisima Muerte” — UTPA Panorama May 2011
• Feature article about witchcraft using the santisima muerte.
• Profile on a young woman that practiced witchcraft using the santisima muerte for years.
“Beautiful Principles” — UTPA Panorama May 2011
• Feature article about geometry and topology being combined with art.
• Profile on a math professor at UTPA and his organization.
Gallery (magazine of diverse art): Literary Staff Member. Spring 2011
“Forgive and Forget” — UTPA Gallery May 2011
• Pantoum poem.
“Nothing Can Split Us Apart” – UTPA Gallery May 2012
• Fiction short story.
Hard copies of my published and non-published articles will be presented in a portfolio.
TIPA (Texas Intercollegiate Press Association) March 2012
• Third place for best column in the general magazine category.
• Winning story: “Antidote to an Open Marriage”
Languages: Bilingual in English and Spanish; able to read, write and speak.
Computers: Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Final Draft, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Garage Band Audio, SoundSlides, Final Cut Pro, and knowledgeable in social media networking.
Miscellaneous: Willing to learn new things and grow as a person, very good people skills, excellent team work abilities, persistent and responsible, highly motivated, superb leadership skills, planning and communication skills, highly enthusiastic about getting started with journalism and focusing on feature writing.