I'm a freelance writer with more than 18 years of experience. I have covered topics ranging from biotechnology to history to nutrition.
My resume is here:
Highly credentialed Medical, Health, and Science Writer with exceptional experience developing and editing technologically-demanding print and web content for targeted audiences. A veteran journalist with 20+ years interviewing, researching, and writing articles and news stories; known for creating accurate, compelling copy and meeting deadlines. Excels at facilitating productive working relationships.
Compelling Stories: Strong ability to define stories of interest to both general readership and highly targeted audiences.
Interview Techniques: Refined interview techniques for diverse interview subjects, including scientists, support personnel, physicians, CEOs.
KEY PUBLICATIONS AND WEBSITES
Harvard Magazine Newsweek Medical Tribune AIDS Patient Care
NY Newsday Discover Science World Health on Time
Bio-Med Technology Alert POZ Life Extension Magazine The Jersey Journal
Gastroenterology Today Inside R & D The Hoboken Reporter PharmaDD Magazine
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Genetic Engineering News Lab Animal
Medical Device & Diagnostic News Hudson Valley Magazine Hudson Valley Parent
alternativemedicine.com Medscape Oncology.com CBS Healthwatch
the-scientist.com Office.com Medsite.com Ivanhoe.com
Sudler & Hennessey (IntraMed) Lally (Nethod Euro-RSCG Interaction)
Freelance Science/Medical Writer, New York, NY 1993-Present
• Create articles, interviews and stories for internal and external news sources.
• Develop and pitch story ideas, conduct research, identify subject matter experts (SME), and obtain interviews.
• Determine readership, establish story highlights/areas of current interest, and design questions intended to elicit responses in terms understandable and of interest to targeted readership.
• Prepare interview techniques, lines of questioning, and establish rapport with scientists, doctors, corporate executives, and others.
• Research trends in multiple industries and focus writing content in areas of developing interest; drive improved readership for publications.
Freelance Editor/Proofreader, New York, NY 1997-2002
• Edited and proofread medical education and marketing materials, medical education newsletters, and journal manuscripts.
Sanofi-Aventis Draft Worldwide, Inc. SCP Communications, Inc. Medscape
Nature Publishing, Inc. Klemtner Advertising, Inc. Pro-Health (FCB Healthcare) Medsite
US Science Editor, CLINICA WORLD MEDICAL DEVICE & DIAGNOSTIC NEWS, New York, NY 1990-1993
• Wrote and produced articles relating to latest medical products and technology in US market.
• Covered medical conventions and symposia and interviewed exhibitors, researchers and CEOs for articles; enhanced subscription base via attendance.
Research Associate 1984-1988
• Performed laboratory research experiments to investigate molecular basis of various diseases ranging from melanoma to rheumatoid arthritis. Medical centers included: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, The Hospital for Joint Diseases. Academic institutions included: Emory University, Tulane University.
EDUCATION AND AFFILIATIONS
Master of Arts in Science Journalism, New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, New York, NY
Bachelor of Science, Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
Member: National Writers Union (NWU), National Association of Science Writers (NASW)
Nina Flanagan Phone: (845) 679-1152
75 Cedar Street ~ West Hurley, NY 12491 firstname.lastname@example.org
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND ARTICLES