Grant Writer / Advertising Copywriter / Novelist
2010 to Present – Author
The Remnants, a novel, (publication tbd 2012)
(2002) 2005 to 2010 – Grants Manager, CASA for Children, Portland, OR
• Increased grant funding to grow non-profit agency budget from $750,000 to $1.3 million, and grow service delivery from 400 children to over 900 children annually.
• Identified, cultivated, developed and maintained grants, RFPs, corporate sponsorships and other new funding streams.
• Created effective Letters of Inquiry and grant proposals for private foundations, corporate funders, local, state and federal government agencies and Community Development Block Grants with high record of receipt.
• Created new donor and returning donor direct mail solicitations / campaigns.
• Proven success at securing single and multi-year grants funding, typically from $1,000 to $100,000.
• Responsible for tracking, monitoring and archiving progress on all grants-related fundraising efforts and progress, and preparing interim and final reports for funders.
• Collaborated with Executive Director and Controller on all budget proposals and fundraising goals; maintained consistent communication with staff and board to determine program goals and objectives.
• Wrote and produced raise-the-paddle special appeal performance for annual auction & dinner fundraising gala; wrote print and electronic newsletters; created recruitment and outreach materials; and other duties as needed.
2002 to 2005 -- Author
When All is Said and Done, a novel, Graywolf Press, 2006 & 2008. French translation Tout est Bien Qui Finit, Payot & Rivages, 2007. 2007 Oregon Book Awards finalist for fiction.
1985 to 2005 – Independent Contractor
• Pro-bono grant writing (3-years) for CASA for Children; member of CASA Board’s publicity committee
• Advertising copy for major motion picture one-sheets, trailers and TV commercials.
• Press kits and press essays for independent feature films.
• Packaging and brochure copy for luxury real estate, educational software/gaming, DVD/home video and TV syndication.
• Content, story and characters for children’s “edutainment” software programs.
• Online content for real-estate development, cruise line/vacation, and corporate websites.
Writing Instructor – various dates
• Breadloaf Writer’s Conference, Middlebury, VT
• South Coast Writer’s Conference, Gold Beach, OR
• Miscellaneous workshops, Portland, OR
B.A. English Literature, Boston University
Skilled grant writer, copywriter, novelist, workshop instructor; grants management, critical thinking, self-directed, strategic analysis, stewardship, organizational skills; development, fundraising, advertising, public relations, creative writing, fiction; flexible, sense of humor.