21/06/11 – ongoing
• John W. Ffooks & Co.
Edited a series of documents that had been loosely translated into English for an international law firm (required retaining accuracy and meaning).
Founded and built an online magazine. Write and edit online features, news and interviews (e.g. David Bailey). Edited HTML and developed the back end of a content management system.
01/07//11 - ongoing
• Commercial Dispute Resolution
Write and edit features, news for a subscription-based legal magazine.
Write online features tackling environmental, technical and psychological subjects.
• Judas Sinned
Created innovative catchword-oriented copy for the home and about us pages of a menswear label’s online presence.
Journalist, New Energy World Network and Envirotech & Clean Energy Investor
21/09/09 – 21/06/11
• Wrote online news and features for a clean energy finance publication (doubled online news readership).
• Wrote monthly features, news and profiles for affiliated clean energy finance print journal.
• Edited and sent a daily newsletter (using MailChimp).
• Commissioned expert contributions, managed a content management system.
• Proofread, edited and commissioned junior reporters.
Writer/ Researcher, Legalease
27/11/08 – 24/08/09
• Wrote chapters printed in the UK, New Zealand and India editions of the Legal 500 that listed, ranked and recommended law practices.
• Researched practices, interviewed partners and collated submissions.
Research Manager/Analyst, Consumer Analysis
01/10/06 – 25/11/08
• Oversaw London office, managed research projects.
• Wrote detailed reports elucidating research results.
• Trained project managers, recruited overseas staff.
• Wrote project proposals, planned research projects.
Deputy Editor, LCC News
01/04/06 – 01/07/06
• Commissioned a team of journalists, organised editorial meetings.
• Edited articles and proofed final print pages.
• Wrote news and features for London College of Printing’s postgraduate newspaper.
• Designed print pages (using Quark).
Journalist (intern), Green Futures Magazine
01/05/05 – 01/08/05
• Wrote news and features for print.
• Interviewed then Environment Minister Eliot Morley.
Journalist (placement), The Independent
1/07/06 – 01/08/06
• Published work includes a page-lead World News feature on human rights.
• Wrote a daily news analysis for the paper’s international news stream Paperchase.
Journalist (placement), London Tonight, ITV
1/03/06 – 01/04/06, London Tonight, London, WC1 8XZ
• Initiated, researched and assisted the production of a televised feature on domestic violence.
• Researched oil-for-money allegations for news anchor Alastair Stewart, interviewed former London Underground boss Tim O’Toole.
Journalist (placement), Wandsworth Guardian
1/04/05 – 14/04/05
• Wrote features for a South London-based newspaper.
Journalist (placement), CityLife Magazine
1/02/04 – 14/02/04
• Wrote reviews and interviews for a Manchester-based magazine.
MA, Journalism, 2006
London College of Printing
Modules: Media law, politics and institutions, broadcasting, news- and feature-writing, sub-editing, shorthand.
BA, 2:1, English & Philosophy, 2004
The University of Manchester
Philosophy dissertation examined the ethics of genetic selection (1:1 grade).
Foundation Degree, Merit, Fine Art & Design, 2001
Chelsea College of Art and Design
A-Levels (2000): English (B), Art and Design (A), Biology, Philosophy AS (B).
Five As and four Bs at GCSE.
Extra-curricular: Violin player for Centre for Young Musicians and the Wandsworth Symphony Orchestra. Entrant for the BP Portrait Award. Writer for student newspaper Student Direct.