• Extensive on-line, new media advocacy experience
• Extensive experience in educational material writing and development
• Extensive writing experience in newspaper. newsletter, magazine format and book
• Production of print publications, materials et al
• Expert media relations; Award-winning communications/marketing/PR writing (News,
editorial, opinion, ads, speeches, talking points, key messages)
• Excellent event planning and production skills
• Focused strategic planning at the agency, department, and/or specific project levels
• Significant budget experience at department and CFO levels
• Professional print and digital photography (color, b/w, sepia)
• Quality video planning, scripting and production
• Experienced with multiple databases, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, QuarkXPress,
Acrobat, MS Office Suite.
Owner / Nesting Instincts, Seattle, WA January 2009 to Present (closing practice in July)
As a way to give back to my community, I have used my knowledge as a midwife (non-licensed) and certified doula to private birth support services to more than 1,000 women and their families since 1995. In 2009, I decided to take time off from communications/advocacy to open a fee-for-service doula practice here in Seattle, providing childbirth education, birth support, postpartum information and referral and other perinatal services.
Web Editor & Writer / Seattle’s Child Magazine, Seattle WA January 2009 to Present
I have been a long-time contributor to Seattle’s Child Magazine and recently took the lead in launching the 30-year-old publication’s new website (www.seattleschild.com). The site was designed in Express Engine and increased our web hits from 7,000 a month to more than 20,000 in four months.
Writer / Seattle Woman Magazine, Seattle WA April 2007 to Present
I am a long-time contributor to Seattle Woman Magazine, our region’s only publication dedicated to women’s interests and businesses. In general, I contribute one article per month to the publication.
Communications Director / Fuse, Seattle, WA August 2008 to December 2009
Served as lead communications strategist for a 2-year-old progressive advocacy organization. In this role, I managed and implement communications plans for online, new media and grassroots initiatives and campaigns directed at the organization’s 100,000 members as well as policy makers and the media.
Executive Director / Seattle Midwifery School, Seattle, WA 2005 to 2008
Led accredited midwifery education institution. Facilitated communications of and strategic direction of the organization mission and vision. Motivated board members, staff, donors and volunteers to implement the vision. Established and maintained strong relationships with partner organizations. Maintained accreditation of the school. Created and guided the annual budget and ensure the organization was accountable to the public including federal, state, and local governments. Managed revenues and expenses to meet budget targets. Advance d fundraising and marketing initiatives. Currently serving on the SMS Board of Directors.
Communications Director / Strategic Oversight Team Member / Children's Home Society of Washington, Seattle, WA 2000 to 2005
Provided management of all marketing and communications functions, media relations and marketing for the statewide, multifaceted child welfare organization. Managed all internal and external communications. Published statewide advocacy magazine, 13 family newsletters and an employee newsletter. Managed development of web site and Intranet. Developed all educational display materials and collateral materials. Wrote scripts and speeches. Created strategic marketing plans at regional and statewide level. Member of the collaborative organization Strategic Oversight Team charged to review all aspects of
statewide, 450-employee, seven-region, $16 million agency. Worked closely with President/CEO and Board of Trustees.
Owner / Cheryl Murfin ~ Marketing, Seattle WA 1999 to 2003
Consulted with numerous organizations to secure brand, create marketing strategic plans and collateral materials and/or write copy for planned materials. Professional photo services. Clients include Services Group of America, Adoption Resource & Referral Service, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church / Evening, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (20th Anniversary Special Publication).
The Lobster Press Kids' Guide to Exploring Seattle (Lobster Press) Editor
United Parenting Publications, Seattle, WA
Heath & Social Services / Medical Reporter,
The Journal American, Bellevue; Valley Daily News, Kent, WA
Media Industry Reporter
Media, Inc., Seattle WA
Newspaper Reporter Legislative Beat
The Journal American, Bellevue WA The Progress, Seattle WA
Education & Certificates
• BA Communications/ Journalism -- University of Washington, Seattle WA; Graduated 1989
• Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership -- University of Washington, Seattle WA; 2005
• Certified Doula (DONA, PALS) -- Seattle Midwifery School, Seattle WA; 2003
Board and Volunteer Experience
• Society of Professional Journalists Member: Current
• Seattle Midwifery School Board of Directors: Current
• Board of Directors: Church Council of Greater Seattle, Seattle WA; 2007-2008
• Board of Directors: Open Arms Perinatal Services, Seattle WA; 2004-2006
• Washington State PPD Leadership Advisory Committee, Seattle WA, 2005-present
• Board of Directors: Intercommunity Peace & Justice Center, Seattle WA; 2001-2003
• Seattle Business Monthly
• Washington CEO magazine
• Seattle's Child magazine
• Seattle Woman magazine
• Society of Professional Journalists (Last award May 2011)
• Washington Press Association
• Parenting Publications of America
Jeffery M. Bond
Former editor, Washington CEO and Seattle Business
206-330-8165 / email@example.com
Publisher, Seattle's Child
206-441-0191, ext. 207 / firstname.lastname@example.org
President/CEO Children's Home Society of Washington
206.718-5917 / email@example.com
Executive Director, Seattle Midwifery School at Bastyr University
206.322.8834, ext. 107 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Other references available in all communications areas