Seasoned writer with over 10 years of experience and versatility to develop creative communications on numerous topics for multiple media outlets
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
* Award-winning writer, skilled in creating feature articles, news, copy materials, press releases, fiction, creative nonfiction, radio scripts, and stage plays.
* Experienced in expressing new, complex, and technical ideas in original ways.
* Strong project manager, handling assignments from conception to completion and meeting established deadlines.
* Superior researcher, editor, and proofreader, verifying accuracy of all facts presented prior to submission.
* Adept at contributing to team efforts while equally capable of working independently to accomplish goals.
* Outstanding public speaker and interviewer, building and maintaining positive internal and external relationships.
* Proficient in timely delivery of content using appropriate electronic and print media environments in diverse markets.
* Proven aptitude for emphasizing humanity in subject matter with specialties in humor and satire.
* Talented marketing professional, experienced in advertising, public/community relations, and critical analysis.
* Wrote numerous magazine articles, feature stories, and short fiction all placed with royalty publishers.
* Authored four paperback originals on multiple topics published by PPI Publishing.
* Earned ADDY award and received corporate endorsement for writing, producing, and airing radio scripts for local Diet Center.
* Won NPR Essay Contest for “All The Signs Were There,” a humorous look at internet dating.
* Composed press releases as requested by clients from broad range of industries for use as appropriate by each client.
* Created successful advertising and marketing campaigns for various small businesses using print and electronic media strategies and writing copy for clients to use in all outlets.
JOURNALIST - COURIER JOURNAL, Florence, AL, 2000-Present
Alabama’s largest direct mail publication, delivered weekly to over 60,000 households.
* Conduct research and interviews to write front page features, local interest stories, and advertising materials.
* Entered “Endangered” and placed in 2006 Southeastern Advertising Publishers Association competition for newspapers in southeast United States with less than 20% editorial material.
* Gained attention of other publications, including Philadelphia Enquirer and Alabama Historical Cemeteries, requesting permission to reprint articles written.
* Photograph and submit pictures of individual subjects and still scenes to be used in compliment to articles written.
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction
Vermont College of Norwich University, Montpelier, VT
Bachelor of Arts in English - History Minor
Athens State College, Athens, AL
Member, Authors Guild (Membership is by invitation only)
Founding Member, North Alabama Creative Writers Club
Officer, Alabama Writers’ Conclave
Member online, LinkedIn & Writing Mafia
Member, Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honor Society