I believe I can bring important, must-have skills to the job. I am an award-winning journalist and professional writer with more than two decades of writing, editing and proofreading skills.
Read samples of my writing, as well as other talents and skills at my website, www.rhetawrites.com.
You may also Google "Rheta Murry" to see other articles.
My experience and skills include:
* Advanced writing skills for newsletters, news releases, web advertising copy, sports, feature and hard news articles for more than two decades, much of it with emphasis on marketing and sales objectives. Ability to produce, write and edit print and e-mail newsletters
* Interviewing and online research skills
* Proficient of MS Office Suite 2010, including Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Outlook in both MAC and PC formats.
* Knowledge of HTML/ CSS and web development software and skills
* Ability to work and communicate with writing and design teams, ad sales teams and others. I am an honest, hard-working woman willing to go “the extra mile” to make sure the department flows well. At The Daily Times, for example, I started out with 20 hours, with responsibilities including handling obituaries, typing letters to the editor and assisting where needed. Now, I have worked up to 37.5 hours and have “grown” my responsibilities to picking up police reports, interviewing people and writing articles, as well as photographing and reporting on events and traffic accidents. I believe in being a team player, while also maintaining my own responsibilities.
I learn new things quickly. For example, I wanted to learn web design, so I enrolled at Pellissippi State Community College, while still working 37.5 hours at my present job. I graduated from the college on May 6, 2011.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
1. Creative professional with a broad-based record of education, skills, and experience in a diversity of corporate, small business, and publishing environments.
2. Established a reputation as a motivated professional with the ability to work as a team member, build relationships, serve as a professional company representative
3. Meet strict deadlines, manage multiple projects,
4. Write articles and design advertising pieces that successfully increase company name recognition and promote products, services, and events.
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE BY CATEGORY
Graphic Design/ Desktop Publishing
• Designing promotional items such as newsletters, brochures, flyers, membership cards, direct mail pieces, booklets, catalogs, training manuals, and advertising layouts.
• Creating designs proofs from information and data gathered from required sources, such as managers and customers
• Coordinating schedules with printers. Ensuring projects meet quality/customer specifications.
• Preparing senior-level presentations and business correspondence, creating flow charts and business forms.
Writing & Editing
• Advertising circulars/brochures, newsletters, news releases and radio ads.
• Feature stories, articles, and news releases for several newspaper publications
• Editing and writing articles for county-wide Senior Magazine and broadening the scope of the publication.
• Personality profiles clients for company web site
• Coordinating newsletters, news releases and photographs to promote events for non-profit organization
• Managed monthly Senior Magazine by locating interesting seniors, interviewing and writing articles, selected correspondents in each of five areas to broaden coverage, edited articles submitted by columnists, and created attractive layouts for 8-page monthly magazine
• Events and people for newspaper articles, newsletters, news releases, and promotional pieces.
• Sporting, school, and community events and illustrating articles with photographs.
• Utilizing knowledge and experience with lighting principles and techniques; image scanning/manipulation; equipment set-up; darkroom operations; and group photos / individual portraits.
Rheta Murry Page 2
B.A., Journalism & English, INDIANA UNIVERSITY, Bloomington, IN
• Award of Excellence, Feature Writing, 2008 Golden Press Card Competition, Society of Professional Feature Journalists, East Tennessee Pro Chapter
• Third place, Feature Writing, 2008 Golden Press Card Competition, Society of Professional Journalists, East Tennessee Pro Chapter
• Honorable Mention, Lifestyles Coverage, Tennessee Press Association
• First Place, Coverage of Religious Issues; Award of Merit for Sports Coverage, Better Newspaper Contest sponsored by Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association
• Award of Merit, Lifestyles Coverage; Better Newspaper Contest sponsored by Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association
• Award of Merit, Sports Coverage, Better Newspaper Contest sponsored by Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association
• Editorial Assistant, The Daily Times (Maryville, TN, May 2008-Present)
• Freelance Copywriter, Desktop Publisher and Photographer (Maryville, TN, 2003-Present)
• Contract Copywriter, Purpose Driven Ministries (Hendersonville, TN, 2005-2006 )
• Freelance Advertising Copywriter, Goody's Family Clothing (Knoxville, TN, 2003-2005)
• Advertising Copywriter Proffitt's/McRae's, corporate office (Alcoa, TN, 2001-2002)
• Graphic Designer, Tennessee Production Center, Inc., (Seymour, TN, 1999-2001)
• Temporary Desktop Publisher, Word Processor, Plasti-Line, Inc. (Knoxville, TN, 1998-1999)
- Adobe InDesign - Adobe PhotoShop - Adobe PageMaker
- Quark X-Press - CorelDRAW - Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft Excel - Microsoft PowerPoint - Microsoft Word
- HTML coding - CSS - Web design
- XHTML coding - Dreamweaver - Adobe Acrobat