GLOBAL MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS PROFESSIONAL
with expertise in
DEMAND GENERATION / BRANDING / COMMUNICATIONS
Results-focused, innovative, proactive marketing professional who creates and executes well-planned, clearly defined strategies mapped to tactics to drive growth in markets worldwide. Metrics-driven performance in outbound solutions marketing, inbound permission marketing, demand generation, lead qualification, lead nurturing, establishing closed-loop tracking capabilities and maximizing ROI for marketing programs combined with equally strong skills in branding, analyst relations, public relations, launching new products and providing dynamic team leadership. Experience driving sales through marketing and communications programs in a variety of B2B and B2C markets, including high-tech hardware, software and services for more than 12 years.
EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS
MCB Marketing, Communications and Branding 06/2011 to present
Contract marketing, communications and branding services, leveraging more than 20 years of expertise. Currently working on several marketing and communications projects to help clients achieve specific objectives and track results for continuous improvement.
Freelance Contract Work/Owner
Contract work to optimize and implement marketing, communications, branding and sales plans and processes to achieve desired results for multiple clients, including Berger Transfer & Storage, the largest Allied Van Lines agent in the United States. Current projects include:
• Enhancing a CRM implementation to incorporate pipeline, forecasting, account management, reporting and marketing capabilities.
• Managing an initiative to develop portals for customers/key accounts to access data and account information.
• Conducting market research and making branding, AR, PR and marketing plan recommendations for a new product launch.
CenturyLink Business, Denver, CO 07/2010 to 06/2011
A fortune 500 company that is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States, providing broadband products and services, including high-speed internet, video entertainment, data hosting and managed services. CenturyLink acquired Qwest 04/01/2011 for nearly $22 billion.
Enterprise Acquisition and Brand Marketing
Senior B2B marketing position driving strategic and tactical enterprise acquisition marketing and branding initiatives to increase revenue and brand visibility. This included evaluating the market situation, relaying needs and guiding corporate partners and vendors to effectively execute as well as managing multi-million dollar budgets and developing and executing end-to-end programs.
• Ensured corporate enterprise brand and acquisition marketing programs were effectively developed, targeted and executed; aligning agency and internal resources to improve awareness, perception and results, and managing branding initiatives for the Business Markets Group.
• Identified opportunities for acquiring enterprise customers and guiding corporate resources to improve effectiveness, including designing and executing an appointment setting program that generated revenue and about $350,000 in pipeline within 4 months of program launch.
• Recommended enterprise brand marketing strategies and localized mix to extend corporate efforts and best appeal to key geographies. This included print, online and social media marketing as well as direct and partner marketing programs.
ColdSpark, Broomfield, CO 12/2009 to 5/2010
Technology company providing automation, centralized management and analytics for multichannel communications, including, email, SMS and social media; founded in 2000 and purchased by BakBone Software in 2009.
Director, Marketing Communications
Senior position driving strategic and tactical marketing and branding initiatives to increase revenue and brand visibility. This included planning, management and implementation for all marketing and communications programs and associated budgets as well as establishing and improving closed-loop marketing capabilities and evaluating ROI to continually improve results.
• Created and established closed-loop tracking capabilities for all marketing programs, when none existed, during the first quarter of employment, resulting in nearly $2.5 million in marketing revenue opportunities in sales pipeline.
• Captured more than 1000 targeted prospects from 5 new demand generation programs, when none existed, during the first quarter of employment; developing and implementing all plans, on time and within budget, working with limited resources.
• Developed, established and managed ColdSpark blog and twitter presence and metrics for tracking results, when none existed, during first quarter of employment, and strengthened PR/AR initiatives, web presence and sales tools.
Sun Microsystems, Broomfield, CO 1/2007 to 2/2010
Publicly traded networking company, selling hardware, software and services, with over 30,000 employees, that was acquired by Oracle in 2010 for approximately $7.4 billion.
Senior Manager, Global Marketing Communications
As a group leader working on integrated marketing programs to drive storage and services sales, directed agencies and teams, managed budgets and developed plans to deliver consistent branding, communications cadence and industry analyst marketing programs, on time and within budget.
• Developed and implemented focused industry analyst plans that increased coverage up to 80 percent in targeted areas as agency costs were reduced by more than 50 percent.
• Secured analyst quotes in more than 2/3rds of press coverage by briefing analysts and setting up press references in advance of all key announcements.
• Leveraged traditional and social media channels to improve global brand visibility, perception and rankings with industry analyst firms, including Gartner, IDC and Forrester as well as targeted boutique firms.
• Partnered with and coached executive leadership and spokespeople to communicate brand and product messaging, strategy, roadmap, milestones and announcements to positively influence perceptions and sales.
McDATA, Broomfield, CO, and CNT, Minneapolis, MN 12/1999 to 1/2007
Publically traded storage networking company, selling hardware, software and services, which acquired CNT, a publically traded storage networking company, in 2005 for approximately $235 million. McDATA was acquired by Brocade for more than $700 million in 2007.
Director, Marketing Communications
Senior position directing and managing multi-million dollar budgets, agencies and marketing communications departments of up to 20 employees (at CNT), including strategic planning and implementation of outbound global marketing programs (Americas, EMEA, APAC), channel marketing programs, inside sales initiatives, branding, analyst relations, public relations, events, websites, databases, sales tools, content and advertising (print, online, radio).
• Established inside sales teams and tracking capabilities at both McDATA and CNT to maximize return on marketing investment and provide a closed-loop transition of marketing leads to field sales organization, in each case delivering more than $30 million in marketing generated revenue in less than 18 months.
• Led the rapid integration of the McDATA and CNT brands during McDATA’s acquisition of CNT in 2005; the CNT and Inrange brands during CNT’s acquisition of Inrange in 2003; and the CNT and Articulent brands in 2001 for marketing communications. This included brand development, management and training to strengthen, integrate and transition all global communications, marketing programs, website properties and visual identity elements.
• Revitalized the CNT brand, evolving it from a niche player hardware player to a storage networking solutions providers delivering software, hardware, consulting services, professional services, managed services and support. This included developing and implementing a new brand vision, mission, position, character and promise that contributed to significant revenue growth from $152 million in 2000 to $366 million in 2004.
• Drove focused analyst and press plans that facilitated consistent global communications and increased press and analyst coverage by more than 40 percent as agency costs were reduced by nearly 60 percent.
• Assessed market requirements and developed recommendations for positioning and marketing direction, based upon business priorities and from a retention and acquisition perspective, including key demand generation functions such as direct marketing, partner co-marketing, interactive marketing, telemarketing and database marketing.
• Strengthened internal and external websites by incorporating more interactive graphics, webcasts and podcasts as well as by improving search engine optimization, online registration capabilities, usability and website analytics; increasing stickiness by approximately 30 percent.
Reliant Energy/Minnegaso, Minneapolis, MN 10/1995 to 12/1999
Marketing Manager: Strategic planning and implementation of advertising and marketing programs that contributed to increasing revenue and improving brand image and customer loyalty. This included end-user focus groups as well as dealer/distributor programs and managing market development funds.
HM Marketing and Design, Minneapolis, MN 08/1991 to 09/1995
Communications Director: Directed and managed external vendors, freelance workers and program managers for the successful completion of branding, communications and integrated marketing programs at a privately owned marketing and advertising firm.
KVOR/KSPZ Radio, Minneapolis, MN 04/1986 to 07/1991
News Director and Reporter: Improved ratings and recognition for leading morning news drive program through announcing, producing, reporting, writing and editing; receiving several industry awards and serving as a correspondent for major networks.
Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado Springs, CO, Certification, Broadcast Communications
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, BA, Sociology – Market Research
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, Basic coursework completed