Seeking an editing, writing or communications position that will benefit from my wide-ranging knowledge of education, health and medicine, government, business and the arts.
Summary of Qualifications
Editor with expertise in interviewing, writing and editing for health, medicine, medical education. Selected and developed topics of interest to an audience comprised of practicing family physicians, academic family physicians, family medicine residents and medical students. A strong, engaging, versatile writer with a smooth, concise style for general and specialized audiences. Special skill in taking complex information and presenting it in an engaging and meaningful form.
American Academy of Family Physicians, Leawood, KS 2008-11
Associate Editor, Medical Education
Selected, interviewed, researched, developed and crafted articles related to the education, training, issues and information needs of family physicians, medical students and resident physicians, for AAFP News Now, the web-based news outlet of the AAFP. Conducted Internet research and wrote numerous articles on continuing medical education and professional development of practicing physicians. Developed articles about the family physician and primary care physician workforce and the organization’s international and interprofessional activities.
Covered the American Medical Association and the AAFP Congress of Delegates, AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Students and AAFP National Conference of Special Constituencies.
• Articles on medical education as part of special reports on the patient-centered medical home, immunizations, obesity, electronic health records and health reform. Author of notable articles on physician reentry, gender gap in family physicians' starting salaries, nontraditional medical students, the impact of the recession on medical schools, disaster preparedness and physician wellness. Adapted numerous medical and health studies for the family physician audience.
• Suggested the AAFP Chapter of the Month series. My work included the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program for the Mississippi chapter.
• In addition to the main AAFP website, my AAFP News Now articles were published in American Family Physician "yellow page" for policy and health issues in the news, on the AAFP Family Medicine Interest Group web page and on the websites of constituent chapters. Many also were posted on health and medical student websites and blogs.
• Prepared news articles in multimedia formats, including podcasts and video. Performed digital photography and/or selected graphics to accompany news articles.
• Developed network of physician and physician educator sources throughout the country. Acquired wide knowledge of medical and public health terminology and statistical information.
• Expert on Associated Press Stylebook.
• Recognized with AAFP “Star” Award for major article on disaster preparedness.
Creative Group, Pittsburgh, Pa. 2000-07
Public relations writing, marketing communications, business writing and editing on a per project basis for companies and non-profits. Assignments with Carnegie Magazine, a non-profit arts programming group and a publicly financed economic development group.
Writer for a communications firm which specialized in writing for professional services, including legal, business and architectural.
Senior writer for a new magazine on sustainability, Live Better.
Free-lance articles published in The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and The Washington Post.
Buchanan-Ingersoll P.C., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Edited and proofread a wide variety of legal documents for Pittsburgh’s third-largest law firm. Used Chicago Manual of Style.
The Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, Pa.
General Assignment News Reporter/Feature Writer
Researched, reported and wrote regional news about local government, education, business, labor, health, lifestyles and the arts for what was then Western Pennsylvania’s largest daily newspaper, now owned by The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Investigated and verified facts, interviewed sources and principals and created final copy for news and feature articles. Excelled at news feature writing.
Greensburg Tribune-Review, Greensburg, Pa.
General Assignment News Reporter/Feature Writer
Researched and wrote news articles on events and trends in local government, education and crime in the suburban Westmoreland County area for Western Pennsylvania’s second-largest regional daily. Wrote feature articles on personalities and lifestyle topics and contributed a regular column on consumer affairs, serving as a consumer advocate on behalf of readers with product or service problems.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Copy Editor, part-time
Edited and proofed local, state and national news for clarity and accuracy. Checked spelling, grammar and punctuation and compliance with Associated Press Stylebook. Created headlines.
Other Professional Experience
West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 2004-07
Adjunct Instructor; P. I. Reed School of Journalism
Taught Reporting for the Print Media (Beat Reporting), a writing and reporting class, to 40 majors.
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, Pa.
Instructor, full-time; Journalism Department
Taught five courses: Journalism Writing for non-majors and minors, Feature Writing, News Reporting, Media Issues and Problems, and Journalism and the Mass Media, a media survey course and introduction to the mass media.
University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO
Master of Arts Degree, Journalism-News-Editorial
Participated in Urban Reporting program in St. Louis
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Bachelor of Arts Degree (magna *** laude, Phi Beta Kappa), Anthropology
Semester abroad in Madrid, Spain.
Pennsylvania State University, McKeesport, PA
Press and journalism organizations, former member; national Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi
The Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (sales and fund-raising)
Frick Art and Historical Center, Pittsburgh (docent, assistant special event coordinator)
Work-study participant in The Crate Cooking School
Volunteer for the Senior Olympics, National Performing Arts Convention (media relations) First Night Pittsburgh, the Allegheny County Fair, the International Children’s Festival and the Three Rivers Arts Festival
Guest announcer for WQED-FM, the Pittsburgh area’s classical music station.