As an experienced sports journalist, I am proficient in producing original content in an array of different styles, as well as reworking previously written articles.
My true strength is, however, my versatility, as I have shown with the quality of work I have produced when required to write and edit non-sports copy.
Sports Editor May 2008 to date Primedia Online
Assistant Sports Editor October 2006 – April 2008 365 Digital Publishing
Researcher/Writer February – June 2005 Sweet Chilli Productions
Office assistant/manager September 2002 – August 2005 HL Mining Consulting
Data-capturer February – July 2002 Direct Accounting Service
Key skills and responsibilities
• Managing various promotional social networking campaigns.
• Providing training and supervision to interns.
• Actively involved in the research, design and management of micro-sites for various global and regional events, including the 2010 FIFA World Cup, two ICC World Cups and two RWC World Cups.
• Translating, proofreading and sub-editing existing copy, as well as researching and writing original pieces.
• Conducting interviews – both telephonically and person to person – and attending press conferences and other media events on behalf of various parties.
• Retouching images used in news articles and galleries, transcribing audio files, and translating and rewriting press releases.
• Writing an Editor’s note and compiling data for a daily newsletter.
• Possess a basic knowledge of HTML, XML, and SEO.
Time management skills
• As a top-ranking chess player through age group and senior club level, I am comfortable using the time available in pressure situations sensibly.
• Working in a ‘breaking news’ environment where writing and publishing articles accurately and within deadlines are of the utmost importance, these skills have served me well.
• I am adept at doing live updates for various sports and other events, which requires quick decision-making and prioritising tasks in a limited time.
• MS Office - including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• GNU Image Manipulation Program/Adobe Photoshop
• Various other Content Management and Live Update systems
Training and qualifications
Matriculated 1998 Three Rivers High School
LLB (incomplete) January 1999 – July 2001 UNISA
BA English/Creative Writing January 2002 – October 2005 UNISA
I am also a member of the Western Province Cricket Umpires Association and a qualified ‘C’-level umpire.
As I have indicated above, I am an avid chess player (ELO rating 1870) but also have a keen interest in other strategy games and sport. When I am not watching the Proteas or Roger Federer, I can usually be found in the kitchen indulging one of my other loves – preparing scrumptious meals. During my studies I have been familiarised with the basic principles of philosophy and semantics – both interest me deeply. I am fascinated by the way the words we use influence the thoughts we have. Any other free time I have, I mostly spend reading and watching films.
Nikki Cockroft - Head of Online: Woolworths Online
Tel nr 082 429 0009
John Dobson – Former Managing Director, Primedia Online
Tel nr 082 417 5404
Howard Kahn – Publisher, rugby365.com
Tel nr 082 375 3369
Bridget Pringle – Portal Manager, iafrica.com
Tel nr 083 291 6190
Rob Peters – Head of Sport, Primedia Online
Tel nr 083 375 1824
Sonja Botes – Director, HR Mining Consultancy
Tel nr 082 822 4872
Extended references available on request...