Clarkson University – Potsdam, NY Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering – Spring 2011
GPA: 3.70 – Presidential Scholar 3 semesters Clarkson University Honors Program
Pfizer, Inc. Global Research and Development, Groton, CT
Research Intern in Pharmaceutical Development Group Spring/Summer 2009
• Observed the collision related deformation behavior of pharmaceutical compacts to determine the “coefficient of restitution” (CoR) as it relates to various material and experimental parameters
• Theoretical correlations for predicting the CoR were extracted from experimental results and implemented to enhance DEM models focused on pharmaceutical compact manufacturing and processing
Research work culminated in a journal publication and symposium presentation:
Bharadwaj, R., Smith, C., Hancock, B.C. The coefficient of restitution of some pharmaceutical tablets/compacts. Int. J. Pharm. 402 (2010) 50-56.
The Clarkson University Honors Research Program, Potsdam, NY
Research Assistant in Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Spring 2009 – Spring 2011
Photo-Acoustics Research Laboratory under Prof. Cetin Cetinkaya
• Analyzed the attenuation of high frequency ultrasonic pulses in pharmaceutical compacts
• Using available literature and experimentally derived attenuation profiles the particle characteristic length scale distribution within each compact was determined for characterizing their compaction states
Research work culminated in a technical paper (to be published) and two symposium presentations:
Smith C., Stephens, J., Cetinkaya, C. Acoustic Assessment of Mean Grain Size in Pharmaceutical Compacts. Int. J. Pharm. (publication pending), 2011.
Research Assistant in Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Spring/Summer 2008
• Explored the kinetic and thermodynamic properties of block copolymers
• Analyzed anti-sense therapy and protein based drug delivery systems
• Successfully synthesized the photocrosslinkable triblock copolymer poly(cinnamyl acrylate)-b-poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(cinnamyl acrylate) for application in drug delivery
Research work culminated in a technical paper and symposium presentation:
Smith, Carson, Krishnan, Sitaraman, Photocrosslinkable Triblock Copolymer Hydrogels for Protein Encapsulation, Clarkson University Honors Program, Symposium for Undergraduate Research Experience, Potsdam, NY 2008.
Research Assistant in Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Summer 2007
• Investigated the effects of uniaxial tension on low density Alporas® aluminum foam
• Validated theoretical model for the deformation of Alporas® aluminum foam
Research work culminated in a conference paper and symposium presentation:
KA Issen, ML Black, CJ Smith, DJ Morrison, Inhomogeneous Deformation and Fracture of Aluminum Foam under Uniaxial Tension, Metfoam, 5th International Conference on Porous Metals and Metal Foams, Montreal, Canada, 2007.
RIT Center for Imaging Science Summer Internship Program, Rochester, NY
Research Assistant in Department of Astrophysics and Astronomy Summer 2006
• Collected astronomical data from the National Extragalactic Database (NED), SIMBAD network, and The Hubble Space Telescope archives in order to publish educational resources about various astronomical phenomena
Research work culminated in a symposium presentation on active galactic nuclei and the fluid behavior of intra-cluster medium
Clarkson University Leadership Award National Society of Black Engineers (Executive Board: 2008)
The Grid (President: 2010 and 2011) Community ESL Class (Leadership Board: 2009 and 2010)
Culture Complex Co. (Team Leader: 2010) Youth Basketball League (Referee: 2009, Head Coach: 2010 and 2011)