JAMES E. WHITE
A hardworking and dedicated writer, with over 20 years experience in writing, editing, and formatting training materials and technical documentation. Additional capabilities as a technical writer in telecommunications, computer hardware, and software. Demonstrates a strong technical background, enhanced by excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with SMEs in developing reference, training, and procedural documentation. Possesses desktop publishing experience in IBM PC and Apple Macintosh environments. Utilizes an extensive background, knowledge, and professional skill set to contribute to the long-term success of an organization.
Software: FrameMaker, Ventura Publisher, Pagemaker, Microsoft Office, Visio, Freehand, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW!, Publisher’s Paintbrush, MacFlow, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat
Hardware: IBM PC and Apple Macintosh Installation, Configuration, and Troubleshooting
TEKELEC, INC., Morrisville, North Carolina
Course Developer, 1998-2010
• Supported training department in all areas relating to training documentation, including
writing, formatting, editing, graphics, and conducting reviews.
• Worked with engineers and other subject matter experts while developing training
• Interfaced with print vendors.
• Oversaw file conversion and transfer.
• Managed training material ordering and domestic and international shipping.
• Served as primary contact and support for instructors in field.
• Created training course descriptions and Engineering Change Notices (ECNs).
• Calculated training course cost and price information.
• Input training course information into corporate database.
• Responsible for archiving training course files using Documentum and Sharepoint
document control software.
• Supported PC software and hardware within the Training Department.
Technical Writer, 1993-1998
• Responsibility for development of user, hardware, and installation documentation.
• Work included writing, layout, and illustrations. Developed procedures and process flow
charts for configuration, installation, and maintenance.
• Responsible for development of Engineering Change Notices and Bills of Material relating
NORTHERN TELECOM, INC., Morrisville, North Carolina, Senior Maintenance Documentation Specialist, 1993. Responsible for developing and updating Northern Telecom maintenance operations documentation, including DMS-1 and DMS-100F Maintenance Operations Manuals. This work included document conversion between PC and Macintosh platforms. Originally a contract position; became a regular full-time employee in this position.
NETLINK, INC., Raleigh, North Carolina, Technical Writer, 1990-1992. Performed all phases of document development, including writing, editing, illustrations, and layout. Worked closely with development engineers and support personnel to produce user and service manuals relating to SNA connectivity software and hardware products of the company. Provided reference information and procedures for installation and use of products.
MEMOREX TELEX CORPORATION, Raleigh, North Carolina, Technical Writer, 1981-1990. Responsible for development of technical documentation for computer terminals and controllers produced by the company. Oriented and trained newly hired technical writers. Served in design and development of electronic publishing system for technical writing department.
MEMOREX TELEX CORPORATION, Raleigh, North Carolina, Electronic Technician, 1976-1981. Troubleshot and repaired computer terminal printed circuit board subassemblies. Acted as lead technician responsible for compiling and evaluating information on work performed in the department.
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
SSgt E-5, 1969-1973
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY, Raleigh, North Carolina
B.A., Psychology, 1981
Wake Technical Community College
Introduction to SS7 Networks, 1994
Introduction to UNIX, 1993
Telex Computer Products
Systems Network Architecture (SNA), 1985
U.S. Air Force
Telecommunications Systems Control and Electronics, 1969
Top Secret (inactive), Granted by U.S. Government