To achieve a position in the publishing industry where I can gain experience in a team-oriented working environment that will maximize my writing and editing skills through hands-on assignments and projects.
The Pennsylvania State University – State College, PA – Graduated May 2010
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Major GPA: 3.4/4.0, Overall GPA: 3.2/4.0
- Awarded Dean’s List Status: Spring 2007, Fall 2008
- Relevant courses taken: Advanced Expository Writing, Advanced Technical Writing, Issues in Rhetoric, Writing in the Humanities, Introduction to Journalism
INTERNSHIPS/UNPAID WORK EXPERIENCE
High Hopes Philly Sports – http://www.highhopesblog.com/ - February 2011 – Present
- Starting in the second half of the 2011 NBA basketball season, I joined High Hopes Philly Sports Blog as a staff writer, covering the Philadelphia 76ers. As a beat writer, I wrote to engage the well-informed Philadelphia sports fan with 76ers analysis following each game. The schedule required me to meet multiple deadlines each week, but gave me the freedom to formulate, express, and argue my own ideas in a public forum.
The Penn State University Vegetarian Club – State College, PA – Spring Semester, 2010
- In the spring of 2010, I volunteered to work in conjunction with the PSU Vegetarian Club to promote the appearance of their marquee guest speaker; world-renowned animal rights activist Peter Singer. In an attempt to garner attention from the general student body rather than students already active in animal rights movements on campus, I assisted in compiling and presenting concise and provocative facts about factory farms’ effect on the environment, economy, and human interests. These facts were, in turn, used for various flyers and social media advertisements promoting Professor Singer’s appearance by club treasurer Steve Maggio.
Imaging Sciences International – Hatfield, PA – February 2011 – July 2011
Regulatory Affairs, Recall Coordinator
- Ensured the legal compliance of recalls for ISI, Gendex, and DEXIS dental equipment. During my time there, I worked on three recalls simultaneously, with each requiring strict adherence to FDA regulations and ongoing contact with customers to ensure the recall(s) made progress. Along with the recalls, I was in charge of maintaining and archiving MDR and PMDR reports. This was done through extensive use of Microsoft Excel, along with Adobe Acrobat and some Microsoft Word.
Connolly Healthcare – Conshohocken, PA – October 2010 – February 2011
Junior Audit Support Clerk
- In conjunction with Blue Cross Blue Shield, I handled Medicare patients’ confidential information in determining whether or not Medicare was the patients’ primary payment method. I then collected the details of the payments, such as the Medicare effective dates and the types of Medicare that were afforded to the patient. These records were logged into Connolly’s Microsoft Access database and forwarded to the Junior Auditors, who determined that the medical bills were processed correctly on behalf of BCBS.
Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board – Lansdale, PA – June 2009 – August 2009
- Collected and processed orders for PLCB licensee restaurants, bars, and hotels on a daily basis.
- Assisted in accepting weekly deliveries, which included the organization of incoming stock room merchandise and arranging sales floor displays.
Audubon Recreation Association – Audubon, PA, Winter 2005 – Winter 2010
Youth Basketball referee
- Entrusted with educating players, coaches, and parents the value of maintaining a healthy, fair
competitive atmosphere centered on teamwork, respect, adhering to the rules, and ensuring a positive
experience for the kids.
Gambone Construction Company – Norristown, PA, May 2007 – August 2007
- Converted a database of building plans in the company’s computer system by systematically scanning the physical copies and storing them to the company’s digital database.
Hollister Co. – Montgomeryville, PA, October 2005 – August 2006
- Fashioned and maintained storefront visual displays.
- Corresponded with customers to find apparel that best fit their needs.
- Handled cash register duties.
Finish Line – Plymouth Meeting, PA, April 2005 – October 2005
- Assisted customers in finding the appropriate footwear and accessories for casual, athletic, and intense training settings. Also helped customers understand proper shoe care and the use of cleaning supplies to maximize the shelf life of their shoes.
-Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
-Some proficiency in speaking Spanish, moderate proficiency in writing/reading Spanish.
-Writing samples available upon request