9920 W. 49th Avenue
Wheat Ridge, CO. 80033
www.rhbarrett.com (TV News stories)
More than two decades in communications related industries including:
-Political Campaigns as a Campaign Manager and Field Organizer with victories in half of the elections.
-Broadcast News as a Reporter in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and as a Bureau Chief
at the Illinois Statehouse.
-Education as a Teacher from the collegiate level to inmates to special needs students.
-Training as a Supervisor of Masters Degree candidates resulting in 100 percent job placement.
POLITICAL CAMPAIGN EXPERIENCE
Wisconsin Democratic Party, Madison, WI. Sept. 2010 to Nov. 2010
• Organized more than 100 volunteers resulting in 67% voter turnout
in 2010 Madison County midterm election
• Coordinated 6 weekly door to door canvasses producing an average of
1000 voter contacts
• Trained more than 100 volunteers for the “Get Out the Vote” program
in the final 4 days of the campaign
• Produced correspondence to persuade voters to go the polls
Matt Dunne (D) for Vermont Governor, Bennington, VT Jun. 2010 to Aug. 2010
• Coordinated 2 counties in final 6 weeks of 5 candidate 2010 gubernatorial race
• Produced two major endorsements
• Recruited 15 volunteers
• Contacted 3000 voters
• Delivered 2500 campaign literature pieces
• Organized and supervised 52 volunteer canvass hours
• Coordinated Get Out the Vote and Election Day plans
• Garnered 21% of vote
Pennsylvania Democratic Party, Washington, PA. Apr. 2010 to May 2010
• Executed aggressive field plan leading to double victories
in PA’s 12th Congressional District
• Garnered 53% of the vote in the 2010 Special Election
and 72% of the vote in the 2010 Primary Election.
• Recruited 10-20 volunteers resulting in more than 3500 Voter ID calls.
• Worked closely with field director to maximize team effort.
Don Tracy (R) for Lt. Governor, Springfield, IL. Jan. 2010 to Feb. 2010
• Garnered 11% of the vote in spite of being out spent 2-1
• Managed and motivated 3 person staff and 10 volunteers
producing more than 1000 Voter ID calls
• Prepared candidate for debates
• Coordinated media coverage
• Produced press releases and blast e-mails reaching 100,000 voters
• Monitored campaign budget and compliance requirements
• Coordinated Get Out the Vote on Election Day
TELEVISON AND RADIO NEWS EXPERIENCE
Illinois Channel, Springfield, IL. Aug. 2007 to Jan. 2009
• Conducted interviews for in-depth reports on the
2008 Presidential Campaign and Inauguration
• Built a wide network of sources to develop stories
• Filed reports from Gulfport, MS regarding Hurricane Katrina
WGNO-TV(ABC), New Orleans, LA. Jul. 2006 to Jul. 2007
• Developed interviews about recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina
• Identified and reported on community issues.
• Filed reports for WGSO Radio
WAND-TV (ABC), Springfield, IL. Jun. 2000 to Jun. 2006
Statehouse Bureau Chief
• Reorganized independent statehouse news bureau
• Improved coverage of Illinois Governor and General Assembly
• Produced 5 daily reports for 3 newscasts
• Directed training of 5 interns
KNVN-TV(NBC) & KRCR-TV(ABC), KPAY Radio Chico, CA Nov. 1994 to Jun. 2000
Anchor, Reporter and Bureau Chief
• Directed news coverage for 2 counties
• Produced 4 live daily reports on local issues
• Managed 4 reporters and videographers
KDKA-TV(CBS), Pittsburgh, PA. Jan. 1991 to Oct.1994
Assignment Desk Manager
• Developed daily assignments for reporters
• Managed team of videographers
• Resolved 'breaking news' challenges
Robert Morris University, Moon Twp, PA. Sep. 2009 to Dec. 2009
• Developed unique lessons to promote discussion of controversial topics.
• Created an atmosphere allowing open debate.
• Promoted use of analytical skills for speech evaluations
Kaplan Career Institute, Pittsburgh, PA. May 2008 to Sep. 2009
• Adapted curriculum producing increased attendance.
• Developed creative teaching techniques to increase learning.
• Worked with team of instructors to encourage students
Folsom Prison, Sacramento, CA. Sep. 1977 to Aug.1979
• Adapted basic skills curriculum to meet individual student needs
• Increased learning by developing creative teaching techniques
• Created incentive program resulting in 20 percent attendance increase
Pittsburgh Public and County Schools, Pittsburgh, PA. Sep. 1979 to Dec. 1990
• Designed and implemented individual educational plans
for special needs students
• Developed behavior modification strategies
• resulting in increased attendance and learning
• Coached numerous team sports
• M.A. Journalism; Point Park College: Pittsburgh, PA. 1991
• B.S. Education; Duquesne University; Pittsburgh, PA.1977