PETER J. BARTELS
145 Sparrow Dr.
Hamilton, NJ 08690
SENIOR CREATIVE WRITER
Extensive, diverse experience in written communications for all media, with specific expertise in advertising, marketing, sales, corporate communications and creative writing. Proven record of success in collaborating productively with ad agencies, manufacturers, mass-market catalogers, non-profit institutions and motion picture producers to create award-winning communications.
* Hands-on sales experience
* B2B and B2C marketing skills
* Global campaign development
* Internal and external communications
* Explored/developed new markets and products
* Motion picture writing assignments
ETS, Princeton, New Jersey 2002 – 2010
Sr. Creative Writer, Marketing and Public Affairs
Composed award-winning content directed to internal and external audiences for the world’s largest educational testing and research organization. Accomplishments included creating targeted campaigns, product naming – branding – launching, trade show design and collateral pieces; copy for brochures, website content, e-mail blasts, web banners, scripts for flash tours and DVDs, and writing and editing all forms of corporate communications.
* Utilized market research data to help client create more consumer-facing messaging (test takers) as opposed to communicating solely to college admissions officers (score users). These new successful campaigns resulted in a slow down of market erosion.
* Produced original work within a team that won dozens of creative awards and helped build confidence and the credibility of the creative group.
* Collaborated on producing the first all-encompassing company catalog of products and services that earned unsolicited positive feedback from the CEO and Board of Directors.
THREE RING SYSTEMS, Madison, Connecticut 1999 – 2002
New Business Development Executive
Applied consultative sales techniques to increase market share. Administered trade show activities, advertising and marketing tools, and website enhancement. Tasked with locating and acquiring new merchandise to add to company’s line of products.
* Created new sales and marketing pieces, leading to greater product awareness and market penetration and increasing sales by 10%.
* Added new product forming a secondary market niche and diversified the client pool.
* Proactively sought enhancement of company website that increased hits by nearly 25%.
Penn State Industries, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1986 – 1999
Marketing and Advertising Executive
Crafted copy for advertising, marketing and web communications. Provided trade show support and participated in wholesale and retail sales. Authored proposals and technical documents; mass-market catalog contributor; new product developer, supervised product shoots, video creation and customer service functions.
Added a new product to the mass-market consumer catalog and supported it with documentation, videos and product photography, resulting in a sales increase of 8%.
Created effective instructional manuals for multiple catalog products that were posted as PDFs on the web resulting in a 15% reduction in call-center questions.
Helped pioneer entry into a new educational market by re-purposing existing products, developing a new catalog, and targeting trade shows, resulting in a 20% increase in sales.
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
Advertising account executive and copy writer for Florida’s largest ad agency with major B2B and B2C accounts. Wrote, produced and directed radio and TV commercials.
Entrepreneur and small business owner; B2B and B2C.
Self-marketed a secondary career in dramatic screenwriting, resulting in representation by three Hollywood talent agencies and five script options by independent motion picture producers.
B.A., Mass Communications (Broadcast & Film), University of Miami, Miami, FL
Multiple programs, conferences and seminars relating to copywriting, trade show design,
website and e-mail enhancement, best practices for writing for digital media, and
exploring social networking as a new tool in marketing and advertising.
Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI)
Dramatists Guild of America