Creative, results-oriented copy editor with over 15 years of experience working in business-to-consumer and business-to-business environments including, small, mid-sized and Fortune 500 companies. Proven skills as a strategic, resourceful, efficient and organized team player.
• Copy Editing
• Brand & Communications Standards
• Consumer Products
• Direct Mail
• AP/Chicago Manual of Style
• Customer Relations
Pharmaceutical, Financial Services, Utility, Publishing, Retail, Investment Management
Copy Right Editorial Services
Freelance Editorial & Brand Consultant
• Provide strategic copy development and branding insight for a broad base of clients ranging from major educational institutions to small business startups.
• Proofread and edit internal and external communications including ads, brochures, RFPs, newsletters, bios, websites, pitch decks, blogs, etc.
Copy Editor & Brand Consultant
March 2012–March 2016
• Copy edited all marketing communications for Advertising and Brand Strategy department.
• Proofread, edited and consulted on brand standards for ads, bill inserts, electronic newsletters, Web pages, emails, etc.
• Negotiated copy and design standards by working closely with internal teams to ensure proper brand compliance of all Xcel Energy product information. Facilitated and managed the appropriate use of Xcel Energy’s digital assets with internal and external clients.
• Managed and updated internal trademark usage by collaborating with Xcel Energy legal department and intellectual property attorneys. Served as a liaison between internal clients and outside counsel—conducting research on trademarks, communicating U.S. Patent and Trademark Office deadlines, etc.
• Maintained the corporate communications and brand guidelines.
• Launched the MOOD (Marketing Operations on Demand) project management tool by conducting new user training and customizing the online tool to address the needs of Xcel Energy. Managed the day-to-day administration and maintenance of the tool, providing one-on-one assistance to individual users.
• Collaborated with Web content manager and communications consultants to complete xcelenergy.com updates with the Vignette (OpenText) content management tool.
Janus Capital Group (contract)
January 2012–February 2012 and July 2011–August 2011
• Proofread and copy edited marketing material and performance communications, including asset management fact sheets, brochures and pitch/review books.
The Sports Authority (contract)
Proofreader & Copywriter
September 2011–December 2011 and July 2010–December 2010
• Proofread advertising and marketing collateral for weekly inserts.
• Wrote headline and technical copy for weekly circulars.
• Consulted with marketing, merchandising and traffic partners to obtain accurate, production-ready pricing and product descriptions.
Sopris West/Cambium Learning Group (contract)
January 2011–July 2011
• Edited interactive educational materials (SMART Notebook & ActivInspire—Promethean software).
• Edited traditional classroom lesson plans and online storyboards in a Web-based environment.
Discover Financial Services
Senior Associate Proofreader/Copy Editor
• In a fast paced, full-service internal marketing and communications operation of financial services firm, provided copy editing, proofreading and brand consultation on communications best practices and standards.
• Copy edited collateral in all mediums including online, direct mail and internal/external communications for Corporate Branding Creative Services department.
• Applied expert-level discretion to ensure high-quality product on multiple dimensions, including accuracy, consistency and sales impact of collateral.
• Evaluated layouts and proofs for clarity, organization, brand adherence, legal compliance, grammar/usage, punctuation, spelling, style and format.
• Utilized a consultative approach to develop strong working relationships with internal customers, team members and partners.
• Educated team members, internal business partners and new staff on the proper use of service marks, legal disclosure, copy standards and branding guidelines.
• Collaborated with legal department to ensure all collateral adhered to legal standards.
• Maintained and updated the corporate style guidelines.
Abbott Laboratories (contract)
• Proofread labeling copy to assure 100% accuracy.
• Tracked labeling orders to confirm artwork and document translations.
• Initiated and implemented new quality control procedures to ensure FDA regulations were met.
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology – University of Virginia
Certificate in Professional Cookery – Kendall College
Leadership Training; Negotiate to Win; Dialogue Smarts; Salesforce
Copy Editing: Your Role in the Editorial Process
Human rights, child welfare, travel, anything food related