I worked as an editor for a UK based publishing house, W.F. Howes.
List of duties:
• Acquired titles include: Betrayal: The Crisis in the Catholic Church
(motion picture Spotlight went on to win an Oscar); Commonwealth by
Ann Patchett, Jerusalem by Alan Moore (including conducting an
interview with the author), The Royal Rabbits of London by Santa and
Simon Montefiore; debut by up and coming author, Jenny Quintana; 5000-
1: The Leicester City Story by Rob Tanner
• Key accounts: MacMillan Publishers; Curtis Brown; Simon & Schuster;
Scholastic; Anderson Press; Oxford University Press; Hodder &
Stoughton (including all imprints such as Quercus).
• Liaising with authors, agents and publishing houses to bid on and acquire
large print and audio rights.
• Reading author submissions (I get through about seven daily) to select the
best titles to our imprints.
• Proofreading, copywriting and providing artwork briefs to illustrators &
designers for book covers.
• Predicting literary trends, finding the latest ‘hot topic’ in both fiction and
• Seeing a book through from acquisition of rights to publication.
• Handling the publishing schedule, including the publication date,
organising author interviews and liaising with Amazon for digital release.
• Networking within the industry by attending events such as Bologna (Italy)
and London Book Fair.