Jean W. Falls
Versatile, deadline-driven expert-level editor/writer, strategic thinker and
project manager seeks new challenges.
Director of Partner Communications, Springboard Education in America
May 2015 to June 2016
• Drove implementation of proposal process to ensure pursuit of sound opportunities.
• Developed all proposals, case studies and Web copy and shaped curriculum in partnership with chief academic officer and curriculum team.
• Attended trade shows and conferences to garner sales contacts.
• Worked closely with business development to craft targeted emails for email blasts and crafted client communications to reflect the Springboard brand, mission and vision.
• Maintained all marketing materials to reflect consistent messaging.
• Created and customized prospect presentations in partnership with chief executive officer.
• Developed and ensured publication of all press release content.
Principal Proposal Writer, Knowledge Universe
June 2011-June 2015
• Drove high proposal scores—proposal to Orange County Public Schools (nation’s 12th largest school district) scored 15 points higher than any competitor proposal.
• Sustained a 70 percent proposal win rate.
• Served as strategic business development partner to 14-member sales team.
• Collaborated to drive increased revenues—revenues doubled in 2014.
• Mentored sales team to identify prospect’s gaps and drive critical solution-oriented discussions.
• Implemented proven proposal writing strategies to drive effective proposal process and end product.
• Shaped proposal response strategy through key value propositions and win themes.
• Managed proposal projects from preliminary discussions through launch and production.
• Edited junior writers’ content to increase clarity, reduce passive voice and incorporate strategy.
• Ensured error-free, targeted proposals speak to client needs and provide tailored solutions.
• Increased knowledge base to drive growth in all business lines, including before- and after-school and in-center early childhood programs and in-home child and elder care.
Communications Manager, Exempla Lutheran Medical Center
October 2010-June 2011
• Received unsolicited, verifiable 20 percent increase within six months of employment due to job performance.
• Met regularly with CEO and COO to ensure consistent messaging in all hospital internal and external communications.
• Successfully communicated sensitive CEO messaging to hospital staff, including elimination of sugar-sweetened beverages from hospital cafeteria. Captured CEO voice in all communications.
• Researched, interviewed and developed monthly newsletter distributed to over 2,500 hospital staff.
• Wrote and placed human interest articles regarding hospital services in multiple publications and positively
impacted attendance at hospital-related open house events.
• Partnered with health professionals to implement successful hospital-wide Biggest Loser Campaign, motivating staff to adopt healthy eating and exercise habits.
Business Writer/Editor, Holme Roberts & Owen
January 2009-May 2010
• Prepared all press releases, proposal responses, ads, newsletters, attorney biographies and media submittals for international law firm.
• Ghostwrote weekly attorney articles and composed weekly news stories for internal communications portal.
• Wrote and edited all Web copy and worked closely with attorneys to build external media plans.
• Created customized presentations, proposals and packets for client meetings, working directly with key attorneys to build strategy and approach.
Consultant, Denver, Colorado firms
July 2008-January 2009
• Knowledge Learning Corporation - Created copy for video scripts, brochures, flyers and corporate website.
• Knowledge Learning Corporation School Partnerships - Developed copy for brochures, strategic sales letters and proposals.
• Policy Studies, Inc. - Managed copy development for large-scale government proposals.
• School Fusion - Created white papers, Web copy, proposals.
• First United Church of Christ - Created Web copy.
Marketing/Communications Manager, Knowledge Learning Corporation School Partnerships (formerly ARAMARK Educational Resources)
February 2004-July 2008
• Supervised team of two designers, one proposal writer and one contract writer. Trained team on proposal processes, including production.
• Wrote and edited brochures, flyers, ad copy, press releases, president's corporate updates, fact sheets, advertising copy, client profiles (case studies) and presentations to support company president's internal communications efforts.
• Created Web copy while also managing copy for the company's internal portal.
• Researched and wrote quarterly internal and client newsletters.
• Created and revised corporate style guides to reflect new corporate identity plan through two mergers.
Proposal Manager, Knowledge Learning Corporation School Partnerships
May 1999-February 2004
• Developed proposal templates and wrote customized proposals for three business lines, including complex federal RFPs associated with No Child Left Behind (NCLB).
• Obtained approval to provide supplemental services in all states pursued (20 states).
• Researched and developed monthly client newsletters for varied audiences in all national markets; readership included wealthy suburban parents, superintendents and principals and low-income NCLB parents.
TeleTech Holdings, Inc., Proposal Manager
February 1995-October 1998
• Managed company-wide subject matter experts to develop comprehensive, winning sales materials.
• Wrote and edited strategic technical proposals targeting a variety of Fortune 500 clients.
• Three winning proposals resulted in over $400 million in revenue.
• Wrote and designed company fact sheets, client profiles and newsletters.
• Researched and developed client case studies.
Admissions Coordinator/Sales Assistant, Caremark International
December 1991-December 1994
• Worked closely with physicians and discharge planners to arrange home intravenous therapy.
• Conducted all insurance screenings, pricing negotiations and ongoing clinical updates.
• Assisted sales team in proposal and marketing materials development.
Personnel Assistant, Nurses Prn
September 1988-December 1991
• Edited company newsletter.
• Developed highly successful commission-based program to market continuing education classes to community.
• Interviewed and tested prospective employees. Responsible for their effectiveness in the field.
Professor, St. Petersburg Junior College
September 1983-August 1988
• Taught writing, literature and humanities courses.
• Refined public speaking, editing/proofreading and independent work skills.
• Sponsored and managed regular student Knowledge Bowl events.
Florida State University
Master's degree, humanities, English concentration
University of Florida
Bachelor's degree, psychology
Member, Association of Proposal Management Professionals
Published writer in multiple international adoption magazines, Canadian women’s magazines, Salvation Army publications