Copy Editor - Proofreader - Manuscript/Book Editor - Print Graphic Designer - Administrator
Experienced, independent editing professional focused on online and print editing services in both the U.S. and Canada.
• Proofreading against provided manuscript or content editing based on specific needs
• Edit websites, emails, books, brochures, proposals, annual reports, and more
• Accurate and dependable editing services with a 22-year history of successful results
• Content proofreading available in American, Canadian or UK English, alongside AP/CP, Chicago Manual, MLA, APA or AMA styles.
• Fast turnaround times for today's fast-paced business needs
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY EDITING PORTFOLIO HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SDTaWaKq0
"Sam is the really professional and skilled Editor, who helped me a lot with my first book."
— Leo Ostapiv, Ukrainian writer, manuscript on home finances, August 2013
"Samantha did a wonderful job proofing my novel, and I will definitely use her skills again. She has a keen eye for detail and made many excellent suggestions. Highly recommended."
— Roger Carrier, Utah writer, fiction novel (Finding Sagrado), March 2013-present
"Samantha was a pleasure to work with. Very flexible and very patient. This is my second time hiring her for a project. Will definitely hire again."
— Carlo Leon Guerrero, writer in Guam, eBook on personal finance, May-June 2012
• Book & Manuscript Editor
• Proofreader & Editor for large variety of projects
• Data Entry and Typist (60 WPM)
• Print graphic design.
For more information about me and for my PORTFOLIO, please see:
Freelance Experience (Present to 2007)
Principal Editor & Proofreader: Expressive Editing, Ottawa, ON
Principal Graphic Designer/Owner: Expressive Designs, Ottawa, ON
XAHIVE Inc., Cybersecurity company, Ottawa, ON Communications Officer, July 2016 to Present
• Edit various texts for cybersecurity company.
• Edited entire website.
• Edited Cybersecurity Manual for Financial Institutions.
eScribers (U.S transcription company), May 2017 to Present
• Editing/proofreading various court transcripts.
Ottawa Sport & Social Club, March 2017 to April 2017
• Edited, developed & designed print and online campaign for “Sprummer” registration.
Ayn MacDonald, Royal LePage Team Realty, February 2017 to Present
• Editing feature sheets and letters to clients.
Ottawa Business Journal, June 2016 to December 2016
• Edited articles for the OBJ, using Google Docs.
Greg O’Donnell, Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services, 2014 to Present
• Provide ongoing web and print editing & proofreading services.
• Provide desktop publishing services for eBooks: format in Excel, edit & proofread all content.
• Create newsletter in Adobe Illustrator.
• Provided transcription/transcribing/typing services, using MS Word, ExpressScribe and InqScribe.
• Provide administrative duties, which include online research and sending emails, using MS Office.
ZenContent (XO Group), April 2016 to March 2017
• Edited & revised content within a digital platform.
*Confidential* NY author, November 2016 to February 2017
• Edited writer’s non-fiction manuscript.
Toscano/Walker Team RE/MAX, June 2016 to October 2016
• Edited & wrote texts for online & print, and created newsletter, in MS Word; plus redesigned presentation in InDesign.
• Updated website HTML coding.
The Edge Taekwon-Do Academy, August 2016 to September 2016
• Edited instructor manual in MS Word, as well as email templates on GoDaddy email platform.
SketchDeck, February 2016 to December 2016
• Edit clients’ graphics and texts to ensure accuracy and clarity, using InDesign, Illustrator, PowerPoint and Keynote.
*Confidential* author, CLIENT, September 2015 to December 2015
• Edited Toronto writer's translated (from French) fiction manuscript, in MS Word.
SmartLexic.com, CLIENT, January 2015 to present
• Editing various texts for clients with dyslexia, in MS Word.
Unambiguous.ca, CLIENT, May 2014 to present
• Editing various texts, for clients, as they come in, in Microsoft Word.
*Confidential* author, REPEAT CLIENT, April to May 2014 & August to September 2015
• Edited two of local writer's fiction manuscripts, in MS Word.
Dr. Orawee Chinthakanan et al., CLIENT, August 2015
• Edited a medical and scientific report written by four doctors: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review, in MS Word.
Viridis Consultants, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), March 2012 to April 2012, May 2015 to June 2015
• Edited two different scientific and technical reports on Australian health facilities' water quality, in Microsoft Word.
*Confidential* author, CLIENT, October 2014 to January 2015
• Edited local writer's script, in MS Word.
Ottawa **** Crisis Centre, CLIENT, October 2014, January 2015
• Edited "Violence Framed as Honour" website content; and, edited same report for ORCC's website, in MS Word.
*Confidential* author, CLIENT, August 2013 to May 2014
• Edited local writer's self-help book for adolescents, in MS Word.
Automotive Quality Solutions/Jon Molesky (President), CLIENT (via UpWork.com),
April 2012 to May 2013 & March 2014 to January 2015
• Edited & proofread U.S. automotive-industry recruiter's correspondence, web articles, newsletters, etc., in MS Word.
*Confidential* (doctor), CLIENT (via EditFast.com), August 2013: Edited 10-page medical and scientific study on corneal donor tissue for surgery, for the University of Ottawa Eye Institute's Department of Ophthalmology, in Microsoft Word.
Sherpa Press, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), December 2012 to January 2015
• Edited all seven fiction manuscripts in MS Word.
* Never in Your Wildest Dreams; Lost and ProFound (have editing credit on ISBN page); The Right One; So, What's Your Play?; Ethics of a Thief (plus its re-release); and The Way Out.
Roger Carrier (writer), CLIENT (via UpWork.com), March 2013 to September 2013
• Proofread & edited fiction manuscript of Finding Sagrado, in MS Word.
Lyubomyr Ostapiv (Ukrainian writer), CLIENT (via UpWork.com), July to Aug. 2013
• Edited manuscript of Home Finances for Couples, in MS Word.
PontLab, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), June to July 2013: Edited short articles on very short notice, using MS Word.
The Marketing Center, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), February 2013 to June 2013
• Edited entire contents of two websites for legal consultants before they went live.
*Confidential* author, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), February 2013 to June 2013
• Edited 233-page fiction manuscript in MS Word.
Cerami Worldwide, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), September 2012 to September 2015: Provided proofreading & editing services for medical-product advertising & product-packaging copy, using Adobe Acrobat (PDF).
Legal Outreach Inc., CLIENT (via UpWork.com), January 2013 to May 2013: Designed & edited marketing collateral for four curricula, using Adobe InDesign.
*Confidential* writer, CLIENT (via EditFast.com), January 2013 to May 2013: Edited fiction manuscript in MS Word.
Nicholas Bergman (writer), CLIENT (via UpWork.com), December 2012 to February 2013: Edited 240-page fiction manuscript in MS Word.
iPhoneincanada.ca, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), January to June 2013: Edited technology news articles for website, with fast turnaround, using Microsoft Word.
Block Design, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), January 2013: Edited text of designer's entire website (blockdesign.ca) using SquareSpace's content management system (CMS).
Project CAP Agency Digital Marketing, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), November 2012 to January 2013: Edited insurance-marketing articles, following AP style, in MS Word.
Jenetiqa, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), October 2012 to February 2013: Edited & redesigned skin-care company's MS Word media kit in Adobe InDesign.
Golden Child Publishing, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), September 2012 to January 2013
• Edited and proofread articles for holistic health blog, using Microsoft Word.
WebLift SRL, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), September 2012 to November 2012
• Reviewed/edited/proofread tech posts before publishing online: Posted articles with client's WordPress CMS website; selected photo to appear with each article; checked articles' search engine optimization (SEO) settings.
Air Conditioned, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), April to May 2012: Edited 500-2,000-word articles with short turnaround.
Latté Marketing, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), April to June 2012: Edited 86-page Personal Finance eBook, in MS Word.
Ottawa Police Service, CLIENT (via LinkedIn.com), February to March 2012:
• Edited & formatted 22-page 2011 Annual Report for the Ottawa Police Service, in MS Word.
Red Mobile Consultants, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), December 2011
• Substantially edited/formatted a 200-page Canadian Government study, for Industry Canada, on radio spectrum waves, using Microsoft Word; report included charts, tables & appendices.
VDM, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), November 2011 to January 2012
• Data Entry Specialist: updated database using Zoho; uploaded files to an FTP site; created simple reports on website; and used basic HTML.
Korea Yellow Pages, CLIENT (via UpWork.com), October 2011
• Data Entry: Entered information into MS Excel form from many websites.
Canadian Pharmacists Association, CLIENT (via EditFast.com), October 2011
• Edited & formatted a 20-page internal document, with charts and tables, in MS Word.
Demand Media Studios, CLIENT, August 2010 to May 2011
• Independently edited various types of articles, under daily deadlines, in an electronic environment.
• Edited for grammar, punctuation, spelling, facts, style, plus checked writers' references and resources.
Rogers Media, CLIENT, May 2008 to November 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed promotional emails; Designed & edited media kits, using Adobe Creative Suite.
Giant Carpet & Flooring, CLIENT, November 2009 to February 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed retailer's print advertisements, published in several area newspapers, in Adobe InDesign.
Ottawa's Best SuperSaver, CLIENT, August to November 2009 (as graphic designer): Edited & designed clients' ads.
Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, CLIENT, June 2009 & November 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed the restaurant chain's table tent card for Fruit Topping promotion.
• Edited & designed a second table tent card for a promotion for All-You-Can-Eat meals.
Canadian Automobile Association (CAA), CLIENT, October 2006 to December 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed print advertising campaign for four area newspapers, in Adobe InDesign.
• Designed OC Transpo bus wrap (left side, right side and back), which traversed Ottawa streets for more than two years.
240 Sparks, CLIENT, May 2009 to June 2009: Edited & designed print ad campaign for Metro Ottawa newspaper.
Sparks Street Mall, CLIENT, February 2009 to June 2009: Designed drafts of outdoor lamppost banners.
Prime Choice Auto Parts, CLIENT, May 2009: Edited & designed advertising flyer (circulation 1,000), in Adobe InDesign.
Cash For Gold Canada, CLIENT, March 2009: Created official company logo, using Photoshop and InDesign.
Realtor Bernice Bartlett, CLIENT, July to Aug. 2007: Edited & redesigned website for re-launch, using Adobe Photoshop.
UrbanArts Alliance UrbainArts, Feb.-Oct. 2007: Created official company logo
BluArc Communications, Oct.-Nov. 2006: Created one-sheet for front of trade show booth
Also, here are links to books listed on Amazon that I assisted in editing (I was one of two or three editors).
• This first link is a keyword search of Never In Your Wildest Dreams, which brings you to a page that shows the Print edition and the Kindle edition:
• This second link is the link to a short story, called The Right One, which I assisted in editing and was the last of a few editors. The link is to the Kindle edition:
• This third link is for a fiction novel, called Lost and ProFound. I have an editing credit in this one:
Online Profile Links
Expressive Editing: http://www.expressiveediting.ca (All links can be found on this site)
Expressive Designs: http://www.expressivedesigns.ca/index.html (Graphic Design portfolio)
Recent Editing Projects (Portfolio)
Website: Block Design - http://blockdesign.ca/
Website: Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services - http://www.plantyourflagnow.com
Technical editing for Industry Canada: Study of Future Demand for Radio Spectrum in Canada 2011-2015 - http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10253.html
Fiction Novel: Lost and ProFound - http://amzn.to/1cCklDq (official editing credit)
Self-Help Book: Never In Your Wildest Dreams - http://amzn.to/15Xx1iX
Short Story: The Right One - http://amzn.to/13qKmgw
Report: Ottawa Police Service Annual Report - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/lbrr/archives/cnmcs-plcng/cn30218-2011-eng.pdf
Scientific/Medical: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review - http://miklosandmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Paravaginal-repair-paper.pdf