As an award-winning writer and editor with more than fifteen years editorial experience, I specialize in creating vivid, engaging copy in a broad range of styles for a diverse audience. Niche areas of expertise include self-development, parenting, entertainment, travel and celebrity interviews.
• Authored numerous books, both fiction and non-fiction, for major publishers such as Random House, Harper Collins and Simon Schuster. Books include: Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned From My Six-Month-Old (Cleiss Press/Viva Editions 2013); Angel of Harlem (Random House 2004); Who Killed Tiffany Jones? (Harper Collins 2002); The Red Moon (Random House 2001)
• Wrote cover stories for national magazines and newspapers including: Ebony Magazine, Uptown Magazine, Odyssey Couleur Magazine, Pathfinders Travel Magazine, The Washington Post Book Review and The Star Ledger
• Wrote articles for websites such as Motherhood Later, Shelf Awareness, Book Brahmin and Inspire Me Today
• Experienced overall editor, including copyediting, content editing, proofreading and project management
• Professional level skill with both AP and Chicago style
• Editorial project manager duties include hiring artists, creating and managing project budgets, establishing timelines, creating marketing material and procuring funding.
• Books include: Stick It To Me, Baby by Danica Thornberry with Kuwana Haulsey (Balboa Press 2016); TranscenDance By Michael Bernard Beckwith (Hay House/AMI 2012); Let My Soul Surrender by Rickie Byars Beckwith (LoveTrust Media 2011); Inspirations of the Heart by Michael Bernard Beckwith (AMI 2004); The House That Jack Built by Hal Jackson (Harper Collins 2001) *This book is featured in The Smithsonian Institution.
• Create book concept and structure, research information, interview authors, transcribe material, write book proposals and marketing strategies
• Books include: Unstoppable by Mark Miles (Balboa Press 2016); Between Dad and Me by Charles Holt (Hay House/AMI 2014 *Amazon Bestseller); Between Dad and Me Companion Journal by Charles Holt (Hay House/AMI 2014 *Amazon Bestseller); The Voice that Matters by Charles Holt (Hay House/AMI 2012 *Amazon Bestseller); Shakuru by Al Blake (2013)
Freelance Writer – September 2001 to present
Report Writer at Fu-Gen Research Inc. December 2008- December 2014
As a fulltime employee and later as a contracted writer, I provided primary and secondary research for investigations, interacted with clients, set schedules and generated reports for the City of Los Angeles, Inglewood Unified School District, LA County Metro and corporations throughout Los Angeles.
Awards and Honors
? 2007 Penn/Faulkner Winner: Best New Voices in American Literature
? 2007 Winner of the New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age for Angel of Harlem
? Blackboard Bestsellers Medal of Courage for Angel of Harlem
? Finalist: Hurston/Wright Legacy Award for The Red Moon
? Washington Post Notable Book of the Year for The Red Moon
? Phi Beta Kappa member
Rutgers University-Newark— Degree in Journalism Sept. 1996- May 1999
United States International University—Nairobi, Kenya April 1994- April 1995
Copyediting, proofreading, fluent in both AP and Chicago style, knowledge of SEO best practices, experience using social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, creative writing teacher, lecturer and workshop leader
*Publications list available upon request