Information Security Specialist, Experienced CISO, and GRC Expert
A proven specialist in the security and risk management segment with extensive certification, training, and experience in key aspects of the discipline across multiple practice domains. Extensive organizational and operational knowledge of government laws, policies, and regulations across a diverse portfolio of government and private industry segments. Experience and direct organizational responsibility for security and risk management policy and practices in government and enterprise environments. Manufacturer level training and certification of most common security hardware and software. Direct external and internal audit experience of multiple security and technology disciplines. Extensive security and technology industry executive level connection in the manufacturer, VAR, and service provider industries on a national basis.
• Access Management
• Cloud Computing
• Continuous Process Improvement (ITIL, AGILE, LEAN, SCRUM, Six Sigma)
• Data Mining
• Digital Forensics
• Electronic Chain of Custody
• Encryption & PKI
• Insider Threat Management
• Implementation and Audit
• IT Infrastructure
• Network & Operational Security
• Public Speaking
• Securing Virtual Environments
• Security Auditing
• Software Development
• Solution Development
• Supply Chain Security
• Systems Integration
• Application Development and Security
• Audit and Compliance (HIPAA, SOX, PCI, COSO, ISO)
• Converged Security
• Data Center Design
• Data Security
• Leadership and Management
• Physical Security
• Penetration Testing
• Risk Management
• Security Architecture
• Security Awareness
• Security Metrics
• Social Media Risks
• Strong Writing Skills
Various current or expired industry and government certifications Exemplar Global Lead Auditor for ISO 20000-1: IT Service Management, ISO 27001: Information Security Management; ISO 22301: Business Continuity; Lead Implementer ISO 9001: Quality; ISO 28001: Supply Chain Security: Subject Matter Expert ISO 31000: Risk Management; Allgress Certified Architect, Governance Risk Compliance (GRC); Certified Information Systems Security Professional CISSP); Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) Pending*; Certified Ethical ****** (CEH); Brocade Certified Network Administrator (BCNA); Brocade Certified Fabric Administrator (BCFA); Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE); Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP); Certified Novell Engineer CNE); Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA); Cisco Security Agent (CSA); Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) System Administrator Level I, II, and III; Department of Defense-Information System Security Manager (DOD ISSM); Department of Defense-Information Systems Security Professional (ISSP), ITIL v3 foundation.
Master of Business Administration with Technology Management Emphasis
University of Phoenix – 2002
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Regents College - 1998
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Principal Architect for the Defense Information Systems Agency: Computing Services, and member of the Technology advisory board.
• Solution design and implementation work in over 40 government datacenters.
• Solution Design and implementation in over 20 fortune 500 datacenters.
• Consulting, solution design and project support for most major federal government organization, 23 state governments, and 11 major universities.
• Consulting and solution design for US Government installations in 9 foreign countries.
Chief Information Security Officer
• Leadership capabilities exemplified by establishing, motivating, and supervising field sales engineering teams for three major IT companies, resulting in consistent team achievement of more than $50M-$100M in sales with higher margins and gross profit. Sales teams were ranked in top 2% of company sales performers.
• Team management ability demonstrated by generating more than 14% year over year team sales growth which positioned the Engineering Team in the top 2% of company sales performers.
• Strategic sales vision proven by improving the government, healthcare, and Fortune 500 business sales strategies through vertical market development.
• Flexibility and the ability to multi-task demonstrated by administering simultaneous IT outsourcing contracts with a regional bank, a network of hospitals, and several mid-sized businesses.
Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance
• Strong program leadership as demonstrated by managing a DOD/Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) project involving multiple sites, project workers, and data systems across data centers worldwide.
• Independent initiative as shown by identifying, designing, and managing a project that enabled all military and DOD civilian workers to access their online payroll information through a groundbreaking new software/hardware solution created for the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
• Tactical execution in spearheading the timely and accurate completion of a commercial software project, utilized by several Fortune 100 technology providers.
• Creative vision by managing the set up and installation of a network of enterprise class demonstration data centers which were used for customer visits and proof of concept testing.
Technologist and Information Technology Generalist
• Creator and author of the “Structured Technologist Evaluation Methodology (STEM™)”.
• Author of the “Technology Solutions for Sales Engineers” training curriculum.
• Recognized as an industry leader in the effective use of information technology to solve complex needs with a dozen published information technology articles, over 20 speeches at government and industry events, and over 100 interviews in information technology publications and journals.
CEO/Principal Consultant Opsis Technologies Group LLC.
Syracuse, UT 2013 to Present
Opsis Technologies Group, LLC is a service disabled, veteran owned, small business. Opsis specializes in a “Holistic Security” discipline that encompasses cyber security, physical security, supply chain security, risk management, and policy /procedures, all combined into a cohesive protection envelope against security threats across any attack vectors. Opsis uses tested and proven practices from international standards, government regulation and policy, and industry best practices. Opsis follows a structured technologist methodology (STEM™) in the design, implementation, and sustainment of all technology services and solutions. Opsis brings over two decades of national security and consulting experience across federal government, state and local, education, and fortune 500 customer engagements.
• Multiple contracts as an “Outsourced CISO and CTO” to government contractors.
• Multiple commercial contracts for Governance, Risk management, and Compliance (GRC) implementation and auditing.
• Conducted more than a dozen implementations leading to ISO certifications.
• Provide continuous security advisement services to national banks and healthcare cooperatives.
Director of Technology/Principal Technologist Affigent LLC.
Chantilly, VA 2012 to 2013
Responsible for the technical solutions and strategic direction of the company’s technical engineering and solution sales groups. Developed focused market penetration strategies in cyber security, physical security, and governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC). Hired, trained, and supervised a multi-level technical engineering sales and professional services group. Participated in executive level consulting engagements as an enterprise security and risk management specialist.
• Identified untapped market segments and developed strategies resulting in deep security solution growth within green field agencies of the federal government.
• Created a unique converged security strategy that delivered innovative capabilities by the technical and services teams.
• Drove rapid growth by expanded the engineering teams and adding capabilities in presales and focus security and technology disciplines.
Manager Sales Engineering Brocade Communications
San Jose, CA 2011 to 2012
Responsibility for the direction and coordination all federal channel technical relationships. Managed the engagement and technical relationship with federal global systems integrators. Managed a team of technical sales engineers that supported all channel development and sales relationships. Managed the federal proof of concept lab and demonstration equipment resources.
• Increased the certification ratio of the channel and federal systems integrator engineer groups by more than 100 training certifications.
• Managed the salesforce.com implementation and custom interface development projects.
• Authored the technical roadmap and training curriculum for the office of the VP of Global Sales Engineering.
Chief Technologist CDW Corp
Vernon Hills, IL 2005 to 2011
Functioned as CDW Chief Technologist and Manager of the Solution Development Team; primarily accountable for overseeing strategic initiatives related to technology. Utilized creativity and strategic concepts in designing security and risk management projects related to technology development and adoption. Applied best management approaches in formulating and supervising the CDW technology labs and customer facing solution demonstrations. Directed and closely monitored the entire aspect of technology-based initiatives, Employed analytical skills in discovering and identifying new security technology and trends, as well as in performing portfolio gap analysis for classification of market strength and weakness.
• Increased reliability, expanded company performance, and surpassed more than 115% average annual team goal (personal quota average 141%) through hands-on management and subject matter expertise for a team of 20 security and technology professionals.
• Identified complex security offerings and targeted solutions within all sales verticals through creation and implementation of strategic technology initiatives.
• Presented comprehensive security and risk management offerings for customer requirements.
Senior Technologist GTSI Corp
Chantilly, VA 2002 to 2005
Made use of innovative concepts in designing cutting edge security solutions used by numerous government agencies; delivered consultation and security implementation services in data centers worldwide. Served as the senior technical security resource and subject matter expert in identifying and providing the strategic vision for the company. Carried out and controlled all security opportunity prioritization, coordination, and handoff; as well as project management of key engagements.
• Contributed to the consistent achievement of team goal with an average of 165% (personal quota over 1000% due to major program sale) by effectively directing and supervising a team of technical professionals.
• Fulfilled an instrumental leadership role in the successful sales of a comprehensive IT security and tactical communications solution used as standard for deployment of Army units to Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Received a major contract award by effectively designing and selling security solutions to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Owner and Principal Consultant Opsis Technologies
Syracuse, UT 1999 to 2002
Awarded a multi-year consulting and technical support contract within the DoD. Led and supervised more than 20 contract information technology employees. Fulfilled the role and position of a systems and security design architect and technical project manager, through a contractor position within the Defense Information Systems Agency – Defense Megacenter Ogden. Assumed various DISA and government project and program management positions. Worked collaboratively with a major regional bank developing and implementing security technology and strategy. Managed a multiyear outsource IT security contract with 12 employees for 3 hospitals in a regional partnership group.
• Participated as a key member and process architect for the first DISA security tiger team.
• Maximized operational productivity by designing and executing secure computing capabilities.
• Transitioned mission critical workload into secure facilities with zero downtime/customer impact.
Active TSA Secret Clearance
Active DoD Top Secret Clearance