JAMES M. HARVEY, JR.
8175 Eton Court, Jonesboro, GA 30238-3010
678-519-4631 678-347-6111 email@example.com
Skilled communications professional with expertise in areas such as:
• Strategic Communications Plans
• Development and Production of Publications
• Presentations and Oral Communications
• Internal Communications
• Media Relations
• Writing Articles
• Public Relations Training
• Special Events Coordination
• Supervision and Leadership
Troy University, Troy, Alabama
Bachelor of Science, Broadcast Journalism
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Harvey Consulting, Jonesboro, Georgia
Communications Consultant. May 2009 - Present.
Provides consulting and technical services in public relations, branding, web content creation, photography/imaging and collateral development.
• Currently creating a communications and branding/identity plan for Eo1 Solutions Corporation, Acworth, Georgia to include developing public relations, media relations, and multimedia/emerging media components for clients. Also developing Internet content for the launch of the corporation’s Website.
Central Georgia Technical College, Macon, Georgia
Director, Public Relations and Information. September 2007 – April 2009.
Managed the central communications functions of the college, which include marketing communications, media relations, crisis communications, editorial support, print design services, advertising, web design and content management, and electronic outreach. Supervised personnel and managed $250,000 budget for marketing and communications. Served as principal spokesperson for the college.
• Coordinated the college’s efforts to enhance its reputation as a comprehensive institution locally, regionally and nationally.
• Raised public awareness about the college an average of 10% annually through the development and implementation of the first strategic communications plan.
• Increased participation in college programs and activities by 40% through the development and implementation of a program outreach plan.
• Increased media coverage by 35% through the institution of a media relations program, which included serving as media contact; pitching stories to local and national media, including online services; writing press releases; providing print and broadcast interviews; and developing media materials such as fact sheets and press kits.
• Managed and supervised marketing agencies to implement and maximize collateral communications components to increase positioning by 15%.
• Ensured the quality and consistency of the college’s message across all constituencies.
• Managed the online presence of media relations, using the full range of new media tools. Posted and updated news at the college’s home page.
• Coordinated internal communications channels among academic and administrative units across the college.
• Facilitated access to the college’s intellectual resources.
Tuskegee University, School of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskegee, Alabama
Senior Media/Communications Specialist and Director, Media Center. February 2006 – August 2007.
Supervised daily operations of the Media Center and related biomedical communications functions, including multimedia, graphic design services, educational and classroom support, photography, video production and digital imaging. Advised faculty on educational technologies pertinent to meet the teaching, research and outreach needs of the College of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing and Allied Health. Coordinated communications and external marketing efforts to positively promote TUSVM and the Media Center.
• Provided leadership for Media Center staff, including work allocation, staff work and development plans, work order system, accountability system, customer service, training, and problem resolution.
• Served as lead communications coordinator in the area of biomedical communications and related technologies.
• Advocated for the unit and its personnel; ensured that each staff member served as a positive public relations ambassador when dealing with others.
• Provided support services for TUSVM publications (including recruitment materials and other publications). Researched, designed, and produced written, graphic, video and multimedia-based communications for training, public information and internal/external communication.
Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools, Savannah, Georgia
Director, Office of Communications and Community Engagement. October 2003 – October 2005.
Managed the communications and outreach efforts of an urban school district of 34,500 students. Served as spokesperson for the school district. Worked closely with executive management, program specialists and other staff to develop effective, positive positioning among the school district’s many target internal and external constituencies. Lead team members in developing communications collateral and other tools. Supervised three full-time staff members.
• Advised the Superintendent and senior team on probable public relations impact relating to shifts in existing programs and policies.
• Supervised the production and placement of all news releases, media advisories and feature stories; managed and coordinated with local, regional and national media resources. Editorial supervisor for all major District publications; ensured high quality of all documents.
• Content manager and editor for the school district’s Internet site. Held final approval for all content to be posted on Internet site.
Shelby County Commission, Department of Development Services, Pelham, Alabama
Communications and Outreach Specialist. May 2001 – October 2003.
Managed the integrated communications and outreach efforts for a county serving 143,000 residents and 17 incorporated municipalities. Served as spokesperson for the county. Developed internal and external communications platforms.
Alabama Industrial Development Training Institute, Montgomery, Alabama
Media Coordinator. September 1999 - May 2001.
Served as assistant officer and manager for public information and media relations; member of strategic planning team for marketing and public relations. Articulated mission, goals and priorities for workforce development training programs with a variety of audiences.
Researched, developed, designed, and produced written, graphic, video and multimedia-based communications for training, public information and internal/external communication. Coordinated layout and design of brochures, newsletters, videotapes, and PowerPoint presentations.
Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Auburn University, Alabama
Editor/Communications Specialist. July 1988 - August 1999.
Designed, developed, produced and coordinated written, graphic, and audiovisual communications for internal and external communications in support of public information and outreach for Extension programs at Auburn and Alabama A&M Universities.
Macintosh and PC-based Operating Systems
Microsoft Office Professional
Adobe Creative Suite CS4 and CS5
Adobe Acrobat Professional
Social Networking technologies including Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn
Microsoft Sharepoint Content Management System
Nikon D-1, D100 Digital Cameras and 35mm and medium format cameras
Associated Press style in reporting, broadcast news and news writing
Chicago Manual of Style
RECOGNITION AND HONORS:
2003-2009 Who’s Who in America
Georgia Certified Work Ready, Gold Level
JAMES M. HARVEY, JR.
Dr. David Hefner
Senior Director, Communications and Marketing
College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, GA 30341-4415
Dr. Ronald D. Natale, II
Vice President, Academic Affairs
Glendale Community College of Arizona
6000 West Olive Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85302
Mr. Frank Dean Martin, III
Cumulus Broadcasting of Middle Georgia
544 Mulberry Street, 5th Floor
Macon, GA 31201
Mr. Tony Turner
Director, Career Services
Central Georgia Technical College
3300 Macon Tech Drive
Macon, GA 31206
Mr. Mario C. Lightfoote
Communications Specialist, Educational Video and Multimedia
Alabama Cooperative Extension System
17 Duncan Hall Annex
Auburn University, AL 36849-5634
Mr. W.L. Strain
Extension Assistant Director Emeritus, Communications
and Associate Professor Emeritus, Journalism
P.O. Box 1334
Tuskegee Institute, AL 36087-1334