Thor Kamban Biberman
14055 Davenport Avenue 858-484-4914 (h) 858-413-5529 (c)
San Diego, CA 92129 email@example.com
San Diego Daily Transcript; Staff Writer (1987-2015)
Until the business closed on September 21 I reported on:
• Commercial real estate including multifamily, all types of construction including healthcare, engineering and finance.
• Residential real estate from master planned developments in the suburbs to high rise condominiums in downtown San Diego.
• Hotels ranging from new construction to whether or not the RevPAR (revenue per available room) would be sufficient to pay for debt service.
• Legal stories from prevailing wage cases, to takings clauses to brokerage disclosure legislation.
• Complex water issues such as the seven state water quantification settlement agreement and the battle to bring the Carlsbad desalination plant online.
• Agricultural concerns such as the struggle to control the wine grape killing glassy winged sharpshooter in Temecula to the efforts of North County farmers to keep Mexican avocados out of California.
• Biotechnology from mergers and acquisitions to new drug trials, to the scramble for new laboratory space.
• Trade issues from NAFTA to debates over the importance of keeping the Tenth Avenue and National City Marine terminals as ongoing concerns.
San Diego Business Journal; Freelance Reporter (1983-1984), Staff Writer (1984-1987)
I covered residential and commercial real estate and construction as well as general business stories. During my tenure, I also covered the growing pains San Diego experienced as a result of the transformation from a defense to a more diverse service and biotech hub.
I wrote numerous pieces relating to the bi-national community from trade to retail, the economics of immigration, and having lived in Baja for four years, I learned Spanish and watched the development of residential projects from Baja Malibu south of Tijuana to Bajamar north of Ensenada.
Ahora Now: Reporter (1981-1983)
I wrote on a wide range of cross-border issues for the bilingual publication, including Maquiladoras (twin plants in Tijuana), immigration, development, cross-border pollution and environmental issues.
KSDO Radio Internship: (1977-1978)
Wrote news, taped features, and helped with production of the Laurence Gross talk show program.
San Diego State University: Class of 1979, Bachelor’s degree in English
Awards and Recognitions——
• 2014 Society for Professional Journalists winner for best real estate story: “Movers vowing to avoid California because of onerous CARB rules”
San Diego Press Club Excellence Award for “Community gardens advance, despite challenges”
• Co-recipient of honor from San Diego County BAR Association for “Courting ADR”
• 1985 Scripps-Howard award winner for outstanding journalism for story on bartering.
Singing: During the past 30 years I have sung with the San Diego Opera, Pacific Chamber Opera, and San Diego Master Chorale. I currently sing with the Southwestern College Choir, which performed in Rome last year.
• Astronomy: I have been an amateur astronomer for many years.