1324 Hope Street | Bristol, RI 02809
401.396.5484 | 646.387.5297 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Experienced Copywriter/ Editor
Marketing / Public Relations / Nonprofit / Web Editing / Educational Communications / Website Layout and Design
Enthusiastic editor and writer, with experience in creative business-to-business, consumer, nonprofit and educational copywriting. Demonstrable success in creating, managing and editing creative projects and overseeing copy from concept to fulfillment. Expert understanding of desktop publishing, website design applications and various graphics and design software suites. Proficient in AP, MLA, and Chicago styles; successful in delivering unique, diverse copy adaptable to numerous company and client requirements.
October 2009 - Present
MarketingSherpa LLC (the Primary Research Division of MECLABS), Warren, RI
Lead editor for a variety of company beats and departments, with articles reaching more than 230,000 readers each week. Responsible for all facets of process, from securing and conducting interviews, to editing and publishing final copy for website. Also responsible for editing all company Web-based and print publication content, including benchmark guides, handbooks and how-to guidebooks, to ensure information is communicated accurately, effectively and within established guidelines. Manage and distribute newsletters to our target audiences using our dedicated email distribution system. Manage editorial schedules with fellow reporters/writers to make sure stories are produced, edited and distributed on time. Proofread articles, ads, marketing collateral and promotional emails for all company departments, to ensure accurate grammar, punctuation, style, tone, formatting and consistency.
August 2007 - October 2009
Web Communications Editor, Creative Services Department
Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
Served as an editor and copywriter for the university's Web Communications team. In 2008, Johnson & Wales underwent a university-wide, 4500+ page site redesign, which included content submitted from more than 200 department heads and content owners. The goal of the site update was to increase awareness of the university's offerings through applied messaging, in hopes of broadening the scope of potential students. Daily tasks included: Application of university messaging through all pages; editing of all copy for grammar, length and appropriate voice; integration of marketing and public relations initiatives into new and existing copy and maintenance/updating of site to remain current, timely and relevant.
April 2002 - August 2007
Special Education Arts and Literacy Teacher, NYC Department of Education
The Queens School for Career Development, Jamaica, NY
Completed five-year tenure as a teacher in a public special education-focused high school in Jamaica, Queens. Educated students with a wide range of physical and emotional disabilities. Also served as the school's public outreach coordinator, graphic designer and primary copywriter for both school-based projects and a self-produced newsletter for the school's chapter of the United Federation of Teachers.
November 1999 - April 2002
Account Executive, Marketing Communications
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, Washington, DC
Multifaceted position combining a wide range of writing and communication disciplines, such as preparing news releases, creative ad copy, op-ed pieces, brochure copy, newsletter copy and collateral materials. Worked with two major technology-based clients as well as coordinated public outreach for government agencies. The position required editing, public speaking, event planning, media contact, online research and strong working knowledge of graphics and layout.
* Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Outlook), as well as similar productivity suites (OpenOffice, WordPerfect, Zoho, Google Docs)
* Proficient with the Adobe suite of products (Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, CS2-current) and previous iterations, as well as similar publishing and design software
* Proficient with the DreamWeaver and Contribute Internet publishing applications, and both enterprise and open-source content management systems, such as Ektron, NetCommunities, Joomla and Drupal
* Proficient with popular social networking (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Plaxo) and blogging (Blogger, Wordpress, Vox, Moveable Type) platforms for business and networking purposes
* Proficient with Mac OS-X and Mac platform-specific software suites
* Experienced with Linux OS distributions, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, LinuxMint and OpenGEU
* Ektron 7.5 content management system End User certification, 2008-Present
* The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), 1998-Present
* The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), 1997-2001
June 2002 - June 2004
The City University of New York, City College, New York, NY
Summa *** laude graduate
Master's Degree in Education (Dual certification in Special Education)
August 1994 - June 1998
The University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism (Concentration in Public Relations);
Minor, English Language Arts