Technical Writer, Editor/Trainer
Experienced Technical Writer, Editor and Trainer with over 15 years of experience in, writing, editing, proofreading, copyediting and managing distribution of technical, marketing and corporate communication products, and facilitating workshops. Experienced in writing for both mechanical and software systems (hardware systems and user manuals). Consistently met tight deadlines, exceeded departmental objectives, and received financial bonuses for contribution. Helped create winning proposals and delivered large documentation projects on time and on budget. Successfully wrote interesting and dynamic speeches/opening remarks for technical and marketing presentations. Strengths in transforming technically challenging information or concepts, developing a ‘common look and feel’ process for single and multiple-source documentation and explaining text in concise and user-friendly terminology (simplified English text) for diverse audiences. Government Security clearance reactivated February 2011.
Sciemetris Systems, Kanata, ON March 2011
• Wrote, edited and updated a variety of technical publications including release notes, application notes, user manuals, installation/getting started guides and marketing publications.
The Ingenuity Group, Ottawa, ON October 2010
Senior Technical Writer
• Wrote, edited and completed government grant applications and supporting communications products for various government agencies (including CRA).
• Responded to Canadian government RFPs for technical consultation and writing services.
Interloc Solutions’ Inc., Folsom, CA July-Sept.2010
Proposal/Marketing Writer/Business Procurement Support
• Wrote, edited, formatted, designed and maintained technical proposals for IBM Maximo support and services.
• Designed and wrote marketing support documents for API and mobile applications product for multiple SMART platforms.
Intelecan Technosystems Inc., Ottawa, ON 2002-2010
Technical Writer (2004-2010)
• Wrote, edited, formatted, designed and maintained the technical documentation for all user manuals, engineering reports, white papers, help system guidelines, site surveys and technical specifications (aviation systems and projects) for mechanical systems including illustrated parts breakdown, parts lists and bills of material, specifically for a rotary arm mechanism for radar (MIL, DOD, ICAO and NORAD standards).
• Structured and implemented the engineering and customer knowledge database, and eliminated work redundancies within both departments.
• Trained new team members and departmental manager in the methods and best practices of Technical Documentation and mentored junior members.
• Created and developed training materials, quick reference notes and facilitated frequent “Lunch and Learn” introductory training sessions to groups of employees on the topics of: Document Collaboration using Adobe Acrobat, FrameMaker, Photoshop, Migrating data between Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word and how to Secure PDF Documents with Adobe Acrobat Professional.
Marketing and Proposal Writer (2002 – 2004)
• Wrote, and copy edited and proofread communications products including news releases and articles, providing quality control of all English text.
• Wrote, opening remarks/speeches for senior managers for marketing presentations to clients and stakeholders
• Edited and updated marketing materials, and supported the marketing team and their initiatives, including technical presentations and keynote opening remarks.
• Developed, wrote and edited a complex 5,000 page aviation RFP document (that assessed text, engineering drawings, and schematics and included a multi-media presentation) in compliance with corporate branding guidelines in collaboration with the engineering team, proposal engineer, technical sales manager and technical translators.
• Developed, wrote and edited multiple complex 10 to 100 page RFP proposal documents from 2002-2004.
• Created and implemented an OCR software proposal development plan that reduced requirement to re-enter proposal data, trained team how to use new features, and saved engineering staff approximately 25 hours of redundant data entry work per each RFP.
NIVA Inc., Ottawa, ON 2001 – 2002
• Managed multiple government documentation projects and obtained Secret Clearance in December 2001.
• Assessed government departmental project requirements and wrote five newsletters for government clients including Health Canada, Transportation Safety Board, and Revenue Canada; updated web site content for clarity, and resolved security procedures for internal government employees and contractors.
• Document database contents of mechanical systems recovered from aircraft disaster recovery (Crystal Reports).
Alcatel Corporation, Ottawa, ON 2001
IS Technical Writer/Editor
• Edited Information Security web updates, press releases, internal reports and wrote extensive training guidelines addressing marketing reports, desktop security issues and published all documentation on the corporate Intranet site.
Changepoint Corporation, Markham, ON 2000 – 2001
• Wrote, edited, and produced Technical Documentation system user and administration guidelines, implemented a single-source approach and substantially reduced the design and maintenance cycle.
• Implemented a data mapping strategy and migrated existing user guidelines between OS platforms in collaboration with the documentation team.
• Managed the lifecycle of the system administration and user documentation (user manuals, API manuals, reference manuals, technical specifications).
• Specialized in hardware and system integrations (mechanical) documentation, including mechanical drawings, system parts and drawings manuals.
PAGE Systems, Etobicoke, ON 1998 – 2000
• Researched, wrote and edited internal and external client documentation including the release notes and training updates.
• Implemented conditional templates to streamline and expand the usability of documentation, improved and reduced the required development timelines by 25 to 40% per document.
Various Contract Positions
Array Computing, North York, ON 1998
Technical Writer/Editor – International Satellites mechanical and systems documentation
MDS Sciex, Concord, ON 1997-1998
Technical Writer/Editor – Mass spectrometry, medical hardware documentation
Hewlett-Packard, Ottawa, ON 1996-1997
Technical Writer/Editor – Medical Systems mechanical documentation
ADGA Inc, Ottawa, ON Jan-Apr1996
Technical Writer – DND – Gunnery Systems Training Manual – DOD Standard
CML Technologies 1993-1994
Technical Writer – Air Traffic Control Training Systems – radio and mechanical systems
BA in Anthropology/Archaeology, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON
Technical Writing Diploma (Honours), Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
Completed 75% of Electronics Technician diploma from Fanshawe College, London, ON
Completed: Flame and Flammability workshops, ISDN and Remote Access Communications, Principles of Mobile Radio Communication, Internal ISO Documentation Design and Support, WHIMIS training.
Completed: Advanced FrameMaker, Advanced HTML, Expert Adobe Acrobat, Expert Microsoft Word, Secure Adobe Acrobat Documentation Design, WebWorks Help Design, Photoshop Advanced for Digital Photography training.
Platforms: Windows, LINUX, UNIX, Mac
Software: Adobe Acrobat, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Claris HomePage, Corel DRAW, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Dreamweaver, Flash, FrameMaker, FreeHand, FrontPage, Lotus Notes, Microsoft MovieMaker, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Word, PageMaker, Paintshop Pro, Quark Express, RoboHelp, Webworks, WordPerfect, Sharepoint, FileMaker, Microsoft Access, Oracle, SQL and SQL Lite, Crystal Reports, HMTL, XML, Joomla.