Alakai Defense Systems, Inc., Largo, Florida 2012 to Present
Provides next generation sensor and technology solutions to protect vehicles, dismounted soldiers, and key infrastructure from ********** used by insurgents and terrorists.
Directed operations, program management, and customer relationships of the Explosive and Chemical Detection programs. Coordinated collaboration of research and engineering efforts, government program managers, and the user community for various technologies and classified systems. Directed development of software for the user interface, selection of data interfaces, communications interfaces, and operational instructions. Coordinated worldwide systems deployment with the major military commands. Supervised logistical and maintenance support planning for deployed systems operations. Worked closely with government information technology program managers to ensure that user interfaces were easy to use for soldiers. Successful deployment is expected to reduce US and Allied casualties and save millions of dollars in vehicle and infrastructure losses.
• Raised $3,500,000, the only non-research revenue for the company.
• Generated $20,000,000 in revenue by discovering the client and subsequent fielding of a new standoff ********** detection system that will save U.S. soldiers lives.
• Cut admin time 50% through IT automation and by standardizing procedures for efficiently processing deploying soldiers.
U.S. ARMY, Army Research Office, (ARO), Durham, North Carolina 2008 to 2012
Seeds scientific and far reaching technological discoveries to enhance US Army capabilities.
Division Chief, Counter IED and Security
Led a high profile data fusion information management program, for various sensors that produced several technology transition successes for military and civil security programs. Countered terrorist activities through leadership of a major multi-agency data fusion effort. In Iraq, led deployment of two programs into a combat environment and managed multiple other programs. These operations included a secure international dedicated data network, combat flights, sensor and aircraft maintenance, and coordination of all logistical needs. Advised the combatant commander on the system and led the integration of the system into the battle space. Advised Army, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and Joint Improvised Explosive Defect Defeat Organization (JIEDDO) programs to determine possible technology transition activities. Informed scientific review panels on data fusion and sensor operations. Led the organization in following achievements:
• Saved over $10,000,000 in research and development by leading technology transfers with other government organizations.
• Deployed, 6 months ahead of schedule, into combat, the 1st fully operational multi-sensor platform.
• Solved computer networking and data fusion problems by leveraging research findings developed through collaboration during Intra-Disciplined program reviews.
• Fused 3 different technology sensors combined with soft data, to get a better understanding of the combat environment.
• Negotiated, supervised, influenced and persistently insisted on effective use of technology as designed to protect US military personnel and equipment.
Definitive Business Solutions, Whippany, New Jersey 2004 to 2008
Provides risk management and integrated business solutions, including methodologies and tools for managing information technology, information security, and business continuity.
Senior Vice President, Solutions Delivery - Chief Technology Officer
Led the design, build and implementation of technology solutions and assessment programs for international banks, financial services companies, trading companies, and government organizations. Created Assessment, Program Management, Business Continuity, Pandemic Flu, Anti-Terrorism, Site Security and Disaster Recovery programs for client organizations. Designed and led several technology risk mitigation programs to assess and improve technology operations for clients. Assessed and monitored clients’ large scale disaster recovery testing for mainframe and distributed systems including Unix, SUN, and Windows systems. Managed the information technology needs of a start-up organization with critical client requirements and remote operations. Reduced risks by developing and implementing business supplier assessment programs, standards and processes for internal departments and clients. Materially contributed to the following company successes:
• Grew sales revenue to $8,000,000 from start-up.
• Initiated 90% of the security plans achieve 100% coverage.
• Led 5 major engagements with multi-national companies in finance, pharma, and banking.
Cendant Corporation, Parsippany, New Jersey 2000 to 2004
Provides business and consumer services, primarily within the real estate and travel industries. $20,000,000,000 in revenue with over 40 independent, diverse business units worldwide.
Vice President, Information Technology and Integration, 2000-2002
Global Enterprise Business Continuity Executive, 2002-2004
Designed, built and implemented the company’s first Global Business Continuity Planning Program which created readiness for a major disaster event, in accordance with Business Continuity Institute standards. Led the Business Contingency Committee which oversaw all centralized business functions. Ensured the plans were sound and executable by partnering with senior leaders in Corporate Security, Information Security, Information Technologies, Telecommunications, Facilities, Human Resources and the other business units. Regularly updated executive management on all matters related to Business Continuity.
• Guided 400+ personnel worldwide to ensure that each of 45 business units were in compliance with the disaster recovery and continuity program.
• Saved $6,000,000 in business continuity operations with IBM and SunGard by reducing disaster related outages.
• Guided 45 subsidiaries in developing “best practice” Business Continuity plans, ensuring the shortest possible down time.
KMC Telecom, Bedminster, New Jersey 2000
A competitive local exchange carrier, (CLEC), offering data, voice, and Internet infrastructure services; owns and operates fiber-based networks and Class 5 switching equipment.
Director of Information Services
Reported directly to the CEO, directed and managed all work activities related to the roll out of “KMC On-line,” a multi-million dollar, interactive, on-line service for communities throughout the US. This included the development and testing of an advanced, community-based portal. Led a team in developing a multi-year, strategic plan for data services enabling KMC to become a full service CLEC. Raised capital via an IPO. Collaborated with Sales and Marketing on the development of advanced data products. Worked with Research and Development Team to determine the best technologies for future operations.
• Set up the 1st marketing division of non-voice services.
• Developed the 1st 50 new clients by setting up remote operational data sites.
• Set up the 1st company-wide on-line education system.
Internet Broadcasting System, New Jersey 1995 to 2000
An enterprise-class tech company that provides solutions for media publishers. Formed in 1995, IBS became a publicly held company in May of 1998, now knowns as Kronos.
Founder and Chief Technical Officer
Founded and directed the technical operations of a company offering a wide array of technological services. Client engagements included providing virtual private networks, information security services, internet access, hosting, e-Commerce solutions, technical training, network services, applications development, programming and technical consulting. Managed accounts and program for several of the largest clients. Enhanced service offerings developing and cultivating strategic business partnerships with other organizations. Directed an internal integration and expansion of several geographically separate networks. Conducted due diligence on companies targeted for acquisition. Directed the organizational and technical integration of acquired companies. Collaborated with company CEO and CFO in raising capital and developing strategic business plans as required by the underwriters of the company’s initial public offering, Board of Directors and the company’s shareholders.
• Generated $40,000,000 in revenue.
• Deployed and directed 200+ technical resources on large scale projects and major client engagements.
• Served over 400 corporate clients.
• Acquired 10 companies over 4 years.
Bell Atlantic, New Jersey 1991 to 1995
An American telecommunications company, now known as Verizon.
Director of Information Systems
Positions of increasing responsibility in the Information Systems Management and Research and Development organizations of Bell Atlantic.
• Managed $10,000,000 annual budgeted operations.
• Led teams of up to 100 personnel in information technology systems.
United States Army, United States and Germany 1985 to 1991
Active Duty Commissioned Officer, Infantry and Ordinance, EOD/Missile
Positions of increasing responsibility in both combat and combat support operations. Managed and coordinated training, administration, and welfare functions for up to 800 civilian and military personnel in the continental United States and overseas.
Master of Science, Information Systems Management 1989
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering 1985
United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
Level 2: System Technical Management
Level 2: System Integration, Engineering
Level 2: Information Technologies Acquisition and Management
Level 2: Program Management
Level 1: Test and Evaluation Management
FEMA, Emergency Management Institute, Professional Development Series, 2006
Member: Army Acquisition Corps, 2004
Member: Business Continuity Institute, 2003
Certified Disaster Recovery Planner, 1993