As well as my previous employment experiences, I have been developing a portfolio of creative writing. Thus far, I have had a piece selected in a National Geographic Traveler contest called, "Your Story" which was printed in the March 2010 issue, called "Without a Microphone."
I will also have a couple of pieces published in an Anthology, that is being put together by an employee of the University of New Hampshire, the theme being, Aboriginals who share borders. The book expects to be on shelves by next year.
I am from New Brunswick, Canada but am willing and free to travel.
Highlights of Qualifications
- Highly effective in promoting a positive, productive work environment.
- Diplomatic and tactful with professionals and non-professionals at all levels.
- Perceptive and sensitive listener; skilled in assessing needs.
- Familiar with computer database and word processing.
- Work effectively both as a team member and independently.
- Able to set and achieve goals, and work well under pressure.
- Good eye for detail; well organized, skilled in setting priorities.
Education / Professional Development
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism & Communications, 2009 – present
Saint Thomas University, NB
Fundamentals of Makeup Applications, 2007
Blanche Macdonald, Vancouver BC
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, 2006
University of New Brunswick, NB
Discovery Learning Seminars, 2003
“Getting Results with High Risk Kids”
Statistics Researcher July 2010
Aboriginal Affairs Secretariat September 2010
• Searched data and information through Statistics Canada and other accredited online articles and journals. Developed Excel spread sheets for the office of the Ombudsman for their “State of the Child Address 2010” report.
• Took minutes for meetings between provincial and federal government and First Nations.
Project Coordinator March 2009
Assembly of First Nations Chiefs in New Brunswick May 2009
• Created fliers for a contest; distributed and advertised to 15 First Nations communities.
• Organized, advertised and executed workshop sessions in several First Nations communities.
• Reports and proposal writing.
• Secretarial: Answering & making phone calls, emails, reservations, minute taking, etc.
• Constructed a binder of essential documents and wrote detailed summaries for easy reading.
• Organized & executed meetings for government officials, Chiefs of NB, and guest speakers.
Fund-raising Coordinator / News Letter Editor June 2006
Fredericton Native Friendship Centre September 2006
• Supervised a team during events, and an assistant on a daily basis.
• Trained staff in the use of computer hardware and software.
• Generated a bi-weekly newsletter, and increased membership.
• Developed, organized, advertised and executed community events.
• Recruited local businesses and organizations for support.
• Managed finances, financial reports and handled cash.
• Reviewed and critiqued reports for content and editorial correctness.
• Developed and enforced roles and responsibilities.
Attendant June 2005
Gignoo Transition House June 2006
• Client Intake and office worker.
• Educated clients about domestic violence.
• Support system.
News Letter Editor June 2005
New Brunswick Aboriginal Women's Council Inc. August 2005
• Developed a news letter directed towards Aboriginal women in New Brunswick.
Attendant June 2004
Fredericton Emergency Shelter September 2004
• Client intake for the homeless as well as a variety of office and computer work.
Assistant June 2003
Fredericton Native Friendship Centre September 2003
• Receptionist to all correspondence and created an effective and operational filing system.
Youth Worker June 2001
Big Cove Youth Initiative June 2002
• A youth worker two consecutive summers, in which I created and engaged youth in activities and fund-raising events.