Highly experienced and published medical/scientific writer and editor. Recently, I moved into literary fiction by submitting my first novel for publication.
Experienced Leader in Healthcare, Clinical Pharmacology & Biostatistics
Established clinical pharmacologist with over 25 years experience and proven outcomes in strategic organizational change management, clinical leadership, teaching, biostatistics, program management and clinical research. Dynamic team leader and lateral thinker, freely able to communicate at many levels. Committed to improved health care through technological innovation, while upholding individual human dignity.
Expertise & Career Highlights
Leadership in Organizational Strategy & Innovation
• On the executive of largest Faculty of Nursing in the UK, co-authoring the 1997-2002 and the 2003-2010 strategic business plan
• Supervised the successful merger of 5 small, hospital-based schools into one large organization
• Bringing the strategic objectives of a large educational organization to individual action by engaging staff at operational level, increasing staff retention levels by 30 %
• Established the first clinical research laboratories in a nursing faculty, first at the University of Nottingham (UK), then at the University of Alberta (Canada), attracting funding and international research students
• Consultant biostatistician on several funded projects
• Teacher of statistics in medicine & health sciences since 1995
Clinical & Change Management
• Accredited in clinical pharmacology in the UK
• Specialist in nurse and pharmacist prescribing, implementing successful, statutory clinical programs for prescribers
• Extensive clinical experience in cardiovascular risk assessment and evidence-based management
• Elected onto the National Prescribing Centre (NPC) executive of the UK
• Successful implementation of an electronic clinical assessment tool in an acute cardiology unit, Edmonton, Alberta
• Clinical experience as an advanced nurse practitioner in Saudi Arabia and in the UK (ER, midwifery, cardiovascular care, prescribing, and trauma) during the first Gulf War/Desert Storm.
Programmatic (Sustainable) Research
• Director of Research for 4 years at the University of Nottingham (UK), increasing our national Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) score from 2/5 to 4/5
• Successful research supervision of 15 PhD students, i.e., all have graduated
• Awarded 5 major competitive, peer-reviewed research grants, totaling CDN$ 500,000
• Inaugural chair of the Research Centre for Human & Clinical Sciences, Nottingham (UK)
• Extensive experience of biomedical statistical analysis
Teaching & Training
• Innovator in delivering pharmacology curriculum to 300 undergraduates in one class, using multi-media techniques and web-based learning resources (U of A) (e.g., WebCT Vista® and BlackBoard™)
• Exclusive teacher of pharmacology and prescribing to Masters’ students on the Nurse Practitioner program (U of A)
PhD Functional and structural abnormalities of the dermal microcirculation in hypertension and hypercholesterolemia.
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Edinburgh, 1996
BA (Honours) Physiology, The Open University, Faculty of Science and Technology, 1992
RM Registered Midwife, Edinburgh Napier University, Faculty of Health Sciences, 1988
RN Registered Nurse, Edinburgh Napier University, Faculty of Health Sciences, 1985
Sahara Staffing, Calgary. 2010 - 2012
Long Term Care, Athabasca Healthcare Centre, Athabasca.
St Joseph Seminary, Edmonton, August 2010 – October 2010
Began studying toward MDiv degree in pursuit of the priesthood. Left due to change in personal conviction, and to return to healthcare.
Devonshire Care Centre, Edmonton. May 2009 - 2010
Registered Nurse (Day Charge) - Long-Term Care facility
Extendicare Holyrood, Edmonton, December 1, 2008 – May 2009
Registered Nurse (Day Charge) - Long-Term Care facility
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, March 2008 – June 2008
Prepared internationally-educated nurses (IENs) for Canadian registration
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, June 2004 - 2008
Associate Professor - Faculty of Nursing
Teacher of clinical pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics in undergraduate and graduate programs.
Researcher in cardiovascular disease, using applanation tonometry to analyze the arterial pulse wave and assess pulse wave velocity. These methods were used to investigate arterial “stiffness” in disease conditions, and to monitor the effects of drugs on the arterial system.
University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, 1995 - 2004
Director of Research/Deputy Dean of Nursing - Faculty of Nursing
Led the faculty through periodic national Research Assessment Exercise (RAE)
Established, and was inaugural chair of, the Research Centre for Human and Clinical Sciences
Maintained clinical practice in primary care and hypertension clinics as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner
University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, August 1992 – September 1995
Research Fellow - Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Research Centre, Department of Medicine
Principal Clinical Investigator in Phase 4 of a large, on-going epidemiological study investigating the inheritance of high blood pressure
Successfully conducted and concluded this study in the community
British Aerospace Medical Centre, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, May 1989 – July 1992
Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Promoted from Nursing Officer to Senior Nursing Officer, managing 14 Nursing Officers
Established the company’s first prenatal clinic, saving hospital expenses
Borders General Hospital, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland, May 1988 – May 1989
Midwife: practice of midwifery in the Borders Region!
Mainly labour and delivery, also some postnatal care
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, 1985 - 1986
Charge Nurse (Medicine & CCU)
Canadian Cardiovascular Society
Canadian Hypertension Society
Royal Society of Medicine (Fellow: FRSM)
International Society of Hypertension
British Pharmacological Society (also, Clinical Section)
British Hypertension Society
Life Member of the General Council of the University of Edinburgh
RN – CARNA (Alberta), 2004 – present
RN – NMC (UK), 1985 – present
RM – NMC (UK), 1988 – 2000 (registration lapsed)
AB Drivers License – Exp. April 2018
Professional & Character References
Available on request
Fully Comprehensive Academic CV
(including teaching, publications and research) available on request.