As a publishing house founder and owner, I became good at many aspects of the book production process, including editing. Over the course of 15 years, I edited over 400 books in various stages of completion, including developmental and project editing, substantive and structural editing, stylistic editing, copy editing, line editing, proof reading, and sometimes just rewriting the text myself.
I also did the following:
Developed annual publishing plan (story/content ideas with or without illustrations), considering market/reader appeal. Published 10-15 titles year in two seasons, fall and spring.
• Read, evaluated and edited manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication.
• Negotiated all contributor contracts, sales contracts, and distributor contracts.
• Supervised and coordinated work of editors, sales reps, sales and marketing dept and administration
• Developed and oversaw implementation of sales and marketing strategies.
• Attended and presented at all sales conferences for the Spring and Fall seasons.
• Hired and oversaw sales representatives in Canada, the US, and all distributed countries.
• Oversaw all production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
• Negotiated distribution agreements around the world (including North America, Europe, Middle East, U.K., Asia, New Zealand, and Australia).
• Attended all major international book fairs (including Bologna, Frankfurt, and London, BEA, BEC) and sold and negotiated foreign language, TV, audio book, etc., rights. Lobster’s titles were published in over 20 different languages